• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Politely somewhat disagreed with seems more apt than pushed back but Trudeau and team still bring up some good points.

Trudeau, Freeland push back at Biden on COVID-19 holiday gatherings​

Exactly. America wasn’t telling other nations how to conduct their own business, POTUS was passing a message to Americans.

That Trudeau and Freeland turn it into a “we’re three times better” nya nya nya nya nya nyaaaa! message to an ‘audience’ that probably doesn’t gives a rat’s ass what Canada thinks, smacks of ASS*

* Arrogant Superiority Syndrome.

I don't think trudeau and freeland get much meaningful airplay anymore. I don't know a single person that doesn't flip the channel the second either of these two appear on the tv screen. When they need a scapegoat, it's conservatives in general and Harper in particular. Neither is shy about conflating their own situations or inflating their own egos. In the meantime, every question or query that comes their way is met with condescension and a cacophony of unconnected word salad blame shifting. Neither politician is credible enough to pay attention to..

. . . POTUS was passing a message to Americans.

. . . an ‘audience’ that probably doesn’t gives a rat’s ass what Canada thinks . . .

At the risk of fanning the flames of TDS*, to quote a former PM's comment from over 50 years ago that still rings true - "Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt,".

Not only does it still apply at the national level, it is even more true today at the individual level than it was in 1969. Back then, while we knew (or at least like to boast that we did) more about the US than did the average American, for most Canadians, our media exposure was still primarily Canadian - a lot of American content but it came to us on mildly filtered Canadian platforms. Now, even that poor filter lets pass a torrent. There may be many Canadians in that "audience" (my assumption is that the PM's audience is Canadian) who may prefer American messaging. Unfortunately, while the American audience doesn't give a rat's ass what happens up here, the expectation should be that when there is a difference in messaging from the two respective governments, our's has to explain why, their's doesn't even have to consider that we exist.

* this time it refers to Trudeau Derangement Syndrome

Unfortunately, while the American audience doesn't give a rat's ass what happens up here, the expectation should be that when there is a difference in messaging from the two respective governments, our's has to explain why, their's doesn't even have to consider that we exist.
I’ll go as far as to agree on the condition that the explanation comes only after they are asked “why is the policy different for us than America?” and even then, please spare us the sanctimonious ‘bettersplaining’ that comes across more as a classless dig at our neighbours…

Exactly. America wasn’t telling other nations how to conduct their own business, POTUS was passing a message to Americans.

That Trudeau and Freeland turn it into a “we’re three times better” nya nya nya nya nya nyaaaa! message to an ‘audience’ that probably doesn’t gives a rat’s ass what Canada thinks, smacks of ASS*

* Arrogant Superiority Syndrome.

If this was a GOFO smacking ASS.....Oh! right....context... :eek:

I’ll go as far as to agree on the condition that the explanation comes only after they are asked “why if the policy different for us than America?” and even then, please spare us the sanctimonious ‘bettersplaining’ that comes across more as a classless dig at our neighbours…
Ah our virtuous government at work again!!!

Highest numbers ever...

The US just hit a record average of daily new Covid-19 cases​

The US hit a seven-day average of 265,427 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday, blowing past the country's previous record of about 252,000 daily cases, reported nearly a year ago on January 11.

The new peak, according to Johns Hopkins University data, comes amid a rapid acceleration of infections in the United States -- and across the world -- since last month.

And experts predict the Omicron variant -- the most contagious strain of coronavirus yet -- is going to make the start of 2022 very difficult.
"January is going to be a really, really hard month. And people should just brace themselves for a month where lots of people are going to get infected," said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health

And experts predict the Omicron variant -- the most contagious strain of coronavirus yet -- is going to make the start of 2022 very difficult.
"January is going to be a really, really hard month. And people should just brace themselves for a month where lots of people are going to get infected," said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health

There are too many doctors saying things like this without context. Yeah there could be a shit ton of infections but how severe is it? Will what % of the population succumb to it?

And the IIHF has cancelled the World Juniors. That's my second favorite hockey tournament.

For a country that has over 4 times the population of the US, China is only reporting triple digits for daily infections. I wonder what their trick is.

There are too many doctors saying things like this without context. Yeah there could be a shit ton of infections but how severe is it? Will what % of the population succumb to it?

And the IIHF has cancelled the World Juniors. That's my second favorite hockey tournament.
Going by South African and now UK data, the impact of this variant appears to be minimal even in the unvaccinated. The assumption now is almost everyone is going to get it.

I thought some guy said we were “getting over it” and “moving on in life”? Huh. I guess the 40 new COVID ICU admissions in the past 24 hours disagreed…
This is why I laugh when someone says that Canada has the same hospital capacity as Britain, but somehow Britain has managed to stay open this whole time during their omicron and delta waves. The NHS has handled it. The Canadian system continues to worry about collapse.

Ha!

This is why I laugh when someone says that Canada has the same hospital capacity as Britain, but somehow Britain has managed to stay open this whole time during their omicron and delta waves. The NHS has handled it. The Canadian system continues to worry about collapse.

Ha!
I have to ask why this current state of affairs with health care exists. I think some of the problem is geography. We live in a huge country.

Maybe too many "managers"?

Back