• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Ford says vaccine supply 'becoming a joke'​

Ford is not the only Premier to call out the feds on their logistical prowess. Or lack thereof. Not that my opinion counts for much, but it certainly sounds like trudeau blew it big time.
Yet Ontario is having issues processing the amount of Vaccines they do have.

From the booking site crashing, to Toronto saying they have tens of thousands of appointments still available to Ottawa saying they are getting the shaft, Premier Ford is having his own issues.

Not to mention, April should have a boatload of vaccines coming in, so these things better get sorted out fast.

What research have you done? Where have you run rings around us logically? Fine to pontificate. Harder to prove.
I am comparing vaccination rates between the USA, UK, EU as a bloc, Australia and New zealand, our nearest comparables in the first world.

Other than the USA and UK* home producing their way to success, the rest are due to be on the same schedule as Canada, fully vaccinated by fall.

Thus, our nearest comparable nations in terms of size, population, proximity and wealth are doing as well, or slightly better or worst than Canada.

Europe is having the same questions as Canada about their vaccine rollout, with politicians feeling the pressure to speed up the process and being subject to the same delivery schedule that Canada is subject to, due to these things being out of their control.

So the question needs to be asked, are we failing? If so in comparison to who? The USA and UK? Israel? Sure. The worlds main superpower beat us with their native manufacturing capabilities. The UK, same story, homegrown manufacturing leading to a good roleout. Israel agreed to be a population sized sample study for a pharmaceutical company, not something canada could exactly replicate. turkey is doing well, but they are banking on the sinovac, something Canada isn't in the position to do.

So how are we doing against places like the EU, australia, and new zealand? We are worlds ahead of Australia and new zealand, but they do not have a case of massive community spreads. So EU is the main comparable. they are sitting around 12 percent last I checked and Canada is at 10-11 percent.

So the middle powers like Canada are in the exact same boat as the European Union. Behind places like the USA and UK. So how are we failing? By what metric? That we are not as good as a superpower? That we don't have homegrown vaccine manufacturing like the UK? Or that we are ever so slightly behind the EU? By what reasonable metric are you basing your "Feds suck" rhetoric?

The problem here is that nothing I said here supports your simplistic Feds suck narrative and thus I doubt you will address these points. I believe you will likely fall back on, "feds suck" and leave it at that, because I don't think you want to consider anything beyond what you believe, the variables, the context, the other countries in the world and their responses. I because if you did any serious looking into it, you might reconsider your position, and why would you want to do that when "feds suck" is much simpler and already fits your worldview?

*And the same people comparing Canada to the UK and USA in terms of vaccinating the population gloss over the fact that they are amongst the worst in the entire world when it comes to death rates per 100,000 people

And there's your whole argument........
The vaccine companies say so, the procurement minister says so, Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin says so, so if I were not one to temper my bets, I would say will.

Should will do fine here. And that's because big pharma doesn't have a great track record. They have shafted Europe, shafted Canada, shafted the developing world, and have screwed up simple things in the past, so who is to say they wont do so in april as well?

But if things go according to plan, next month is when things are going to ramp up, and while Premier Ford is complaining about not enough supply, Ontario cannot handle the supply it is getting right now properly.

They can.....the openings are because just not enough people want a vaccine that no one else seems to want, so it got dumped on us.

They can.....the openings are because just not enough people want a vaccine that no one else seems to want, so it got dumped on us.
Those vaccines are being delivered tomorrow. (The 1.5 million of AZ that the USA has yet to approve)

The opening have been these past two weeks.

Try again.

We have lots of it already.......and that's what most have been offered. I took it, wondering if I should have.

Try againer....

We have lots of it already.......and that's what most have been offered. I took it, wondering if I should have.

Try againer....
So we suck because we have not vaccinated as much as the UK, although the main vaccine being distributed in the UK is the AZ that appearantly nobody wants.

Just pick one.

Oh my,....you never fail to make everyone have a good laugh, I'll give you that.

Oh my,....you never fail to make everyone have a good laugh, I'll give you that.
You're the one making it seem like it's a bad thing that we have gotten the vaccine that our British allies are using to have one of the highest vaccinated population rates in the world.

The UK and USA have some of the most impressive manufacturing capabilities of the western world, and the UK is using it to produce the AZ vaccine.

We would be idiots not to use it. And for ontario to have 30k open spots for vaccinations (for which I don't know if they were only AZ vaccines) while moaning about supply seems like a big big disconnect on what is happening.

Comparing apples to oranges is unproductive. The UK and US both receive much larger volumes of international travellers.

And Australia and New Zealand are isolated islands that have had excellent success through early and logical quarantine measures.

Comparing apples to oranges is unproductive. The UK and US both receive much larger volumes of international travellers.
Comparing apples to oranges is how people are judging Canada's response and saying it sucks.

Fair is fair.

And Australia and New Zealand are isolated islands that have had excellent success through early and logical quarantine measures.
Yes.

Their vaccine rollout is not as needed, but it is still way behind ours as a comparison.

I guess lots of those Astra vaccines are going to go to waste anyways. Looks like all the provinces won't use them on folk under 55 until more tests are done. I guess when you're a beggar you sometimes get a burger with flies....

I guess lots of those Astra vaccines are going to go to waste anyways. Looks like all the provinces won't use them on folk under 55 until more tests are done. I guess when you're a beggar you sometimes get a burger with flies....
Again, like Europe isn't dealing with these exact same issues....

I suppose they are beggars as well?

Things opened up in Ontario for the 70s and over now. Found out about it about one half hour after the website opened and just barely got two appointments before they filled up.

🍻

Things opened up in Ontario for the 70s and over now.

🍻
I'm in my 60's and got my first shot on 23 March.

This is on the Ontario website:

Starting March 22, 2021, select pharmacies in the following public health units are booking appointments for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines for eligible people 60 years old or older in 2021.
You must: be 60 years old or older in 2021.

Find your closest pharmacy to get the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine if you are age 60 or older.

Back