• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Let me see if I get this straight......Trudeau way behind on getting vaccines, meh? Ford behind on giving vaccines, sky is falling?
Just checking.....
Not quite.

I'm judging Trudeau against his peers. Other countries that don't have homegrown vaccine manufacturing capability or those able to receive vaccines as part of a bloc.

I'm also judging ford against his peers. In this case, every other premier. And somehow, he isn't looking good. And before you think I have a inherent anti conservative bias, Alberta is doing well, Saskatchewan is doing well, Quebec is doing well.

Meanwhile, in Ontario, despite people being able to open a online store in a single day and take orders from around the world, the Ontario government can't build an appointment booking website despite knowing they would need one for about a year.

Meh you might want to check out the population levels......Ontario has more population than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba combined

Meh you might want to check out the population levels......Ontario has more population than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba combined
Quebec has a smaller population and has vaccinated more (as a %of population), what is your point?

Also, when you consider that every province is receiving vaccinations as a percentage of their population, there is still little excuse.

Lastly, population has nothing to do with organization. The fact that Ontario wont have a website for booking vaccinations until mid march and Alberta has one up and running now isn't population based.

Lastly, population has nothing to do with organization. The fact that Ontario wont have a website for booking vaccinations until mid march and Alberta has one up and running now isn't population based.

Let's take a closer look at Alberta.

I've spent most of the day up to now trying to book an vaccination appointment (it's not for me, I haven't reached 75 yet). The first couple of hours, I couldn't get to the starting webpage, it just wouldn't load. Later the page allowed me to answer the basic eligibility questions but has yet to respond when I entered the postal code to determine if there were available appointment slots. So I haven't been able to book an appointment for my neighbour so far, nor can I reach Alberta Health by the 811 number that one is supposed to use if having trouble booking online. I also can't find any information about the locations for vaccination clinics. According to reports there will be 58 sites around the province, opened between 0820 hrs and 1540 hrs seven days a week but they aren't saying where they are. It would be helpful knowing location when trying to book an appointment because appointment time and location may sometimes conflict with an individual's ability to get there. I speak from experience on dealing with Alberta Health last year trying to book an immunization appointment that their centralized system is not user friendly.

Now, while there may be complaints about how Ontario is rolling out the next phases of the COVID vaccines, I found more user information about that province's plan in half an hour yesterday than I gleaned about Alberta's in the several hours I've been searching over the past few days. If I was in Toronto, Kingston or Ottawa, I would know the locations of the vaccination centres.

North Toronto Memorial Community Cent
200 Eglinton Avenue West

Mitchell Field Community Centre
89 Church Avenue

The Hangar
75 Carl Hall Road

Metro Toronto Convention Centre
255 Front Street West

Scarborough Town Centre
300 Borough Drive

Carmine Stefano Community Centre
3100 Weston Road

Toronto Congress Centre
650 Dixon Road

Malvern Community Recreation Centre
30 Sewells Road

Cloverdale Mall
250 The East Mall

COVID-19_Vaccination-Strategy-Diagram.jpg

The City of Ottawa has pre-identified four locations for community clinics to administer vaccines:
  • Horticulture Building, 1525 Princess Patricia Way
  • Eva James Memorial Centre, 65 Stonehaven Drive
  • Peter Clark Facility, 255 Centrum Boulevard
  • Nepean Sportsplex, 1701 Woodroffe Avenue

Yes, "population has nothing to do with organization", but seemingly, neither does certain sections of Alberta Heath Services.

Quebec has a smaller population and has vaccinated more (as a %of population), what is your point?

Also, when you consider that every province is receiving vaccinations as a percentage of their population, there is still little excuse.

Ontario has 251K people fully vaccinated (both doses). Quebec has 0. Cherry picking stats looks nice until you lift up the rug.

Why would we need a provincial reservation site if vaccinations are going to be administered locally according to their own needs.
I don't know what percent of what province has been vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure they can only give out what the Feds give them. Ford has been badgering Ottawa for more vaccine. It was not forthcoming. I don't see this as Ford's or any other Premiers fault. I see it as Trudeau's.

Obviously, Ontario has administered thousands more doses than Quebec. Quebec also seems quite a bit behind Ontario in % of vaccine administered.

ProvinceTotal Doses AdministeredTotal Doses Delivered% of Doses AdministeredDoses Administered / 100k PopulationPeople Fully Vaccinated
Canada1648455 (+46090 today)203306081.1%4337.12480074
Ontario602,848 (+17141 today)683,25588.23%4,091.78251,590
Quebec376,910 (+10932 today)509,32574%4,395.05N/A

Cherry picking, indeed!

So Ontario accounts for 37% of all Canadians to date, and has one of the highest administration to received doses ratios of the provinces (88% administered against the national average 81%), but gets nothing but a snyde, Ontario-bashing “oh God, this will end well” from you...

B0C55E83-B823-4AB3-88B5-F2ED4D4ABECA.jpeg
Reference (24 Feb 2021)

Cherry picking, indeed!

So Ontario accounts for 37% of all Canadians to date, and has one of the highest administration to received doses ratios of the provinces (88% administered against the national average 81%), but gets nothing but a snyde, Ontario-bashing “oh God, this will end well” from you...

View attachment 64594
Reference (24 Feb 2021)
You have shown you're not interested in having a mature adult discussion without throwing out things like ford derangement syndrome, so I have no desire to talk to you.

I have no desire to talk to you.
1614213431589.gif

Yet you quite conveniently ignore the valid points I make refuting your un-based critique of others, especially in the thread, your more recent denigration of Ontario’s COVID vaccination response, yet with publicly-available figures, I have refuted your critique.

I look forward to you ‘continuing to ignore’ me.

You have shown you're not interested in having a mature adult discussion without throwing out things like ford derangement syndrome, so I have no desire to talk to you.
Really?

Even a bot changes its boilerplate text from time to time.

If I was in Toronto, Kingston or Ottawa, I would know the locations of the vaccination centres.
Thank-you for that list, Blackadder. Guess I'll be going to Cloverdale when my turn comes.

My mother turns a healthy 89 later this year, so, hopefully, she will get her shot pretty soon.

Well I'm happy with Ontario so far....Mom got her second shot last Monday.
Congratulations.

My mother is in this ( Ontario ) category,

people over 80 living independently in the community and not in long-term-care or retirement homes, should start getting a vaccine around mid-March.

Thank-you for that list, Blackadder. Guess I'll be going to Cloverdale when my turn comes.

My mother turns a healthy 89 later this year, so, hopefully, she will get her shot pretty soon.

You're welcome. I've yet to successfully make an appointment for my neighbour, though there are some reports that perhaps up to 15,000 have managed to get through either on the web portal or by phone. In a couple of news reports one savvy individual provided a "hack" to work around the problems. The luddite that I am, I don't know what he's talking about. Wait . . . I've just got to a new page on the booking site . . .

COVID-19 Online Immunization​

You are now in line to book your appointment. Thank you for your patience while you wait for your turn to book.

Appointments continue to be available, as we work towards immunizing all seniors by April, pending vaccine supply.

Number of users in line ahead of you: 14686
Your estimated wait time is: 25 minutes

Status last updated: 7:55:15 PM
Leave the line (You will lose your place)

It only took a about 9 hours off and on to get a response of waiting in line.

I hate to sound like a constant complainer, in truly not. However, I do think I have t ya do able expectations as to how effective our politicians perform. And in this regard - both in Alberta and at the federal level - ive been beyond disappointed & shocked.

Here in Alberta, our first batch of vaccines was around 90,000. Our priority was to vaccinate LTC’s with that batch.

When the vaccines arrived in the province, the lady in charge was on vacation in Hawaii. (Heck of a time to plan a vacation.) very very few of these vaccines went towards seniors in LTC’s. They seemed to end up scattered about, with random people getting them. (Including myself, via work. No idea why or how).

Having nice numbers have vaccines becoming available is nice. But unless the folks in charge actually formulate a plan & execute that plan, this will take much longer than it needs to.

(There is no reason they couldn’t have deployed small teams to each LTC, and had that priority crossed off the list within a week.)

Just show up at a pharmacy with your ID. If you are of the eligible age, you get your vaccine. Boom. Done.

The online booking portal will undoubtably not work, have glitches, crash from demand, have errors, etc etc.

Yes there will be line-ups. But it’s not like there will be repeat customers. The line ups will die down after a few weeks, and we can just get on with it. (Like when marijuana stores first opened.)

Saw this out of New York City this A.M.

Doug Ford, the Premier of Ontario's government, is providing $5M to help fire services across Ontario. So, what Ontario fire service photo do they feature in the tweet? FDNY of course.

Doug - "Stop the gravy train!" - is likely remembered by the Toronto firefighters union. Best not to use their staff and trucks as political props.

Cutting four trucks and 84 front-line firefighters will have a “serious impact,” warned Ed Kennedy, president of the Toronto Fire Fighters’ Association.

( When Doug lost his battle for City Hall, but won Queen's Park, one City employee was heard to remark - presumably meant as gentle good humour - "Our loss is their loss." :) )

Back