• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

I'm not one to promote cancel culture but I'm glad he's resigned. It's time our politicians are held accountable for their constant "mistakes" and stop living a double standard. I wonder if Liberal Minister Pierre Arcand will follow suite.

I refuse to be part of any vigilante "justice" to do with any COVID rules. We've been gaslit by the government and media to call the police on our neighbours for having a few consenting adults over for drinks, I'm not going to call for a politician to be fired over this. If we didn't demand more when multi-million dollar contracts were handed out with kickbacks, AGs fired for not applying political influence or multiple ethics convictions then why the heck would we draw the line at someone taking a poorly timed vacation?

I'm not one to promote cancel culture but I'm glad he's resigned. It's time our politicians are held accountable for their constant "mistakes" and stop living a double standard. I wonder if Liberal Minister Pierre Arcand will follow suite.
IMO there are a couple things wrong with this comment.
Phillips only resigned his cabinet position. Still a MPP. Arcand doesn't hold a cabinet position to resign from.
Secondly neither of them have broke any laws other than common sense. For this there is no actual law broken.
Double standard? Nothing stopping most Canadians from going on trips if they choose.

If we didn't demand more when multi-million dollar contracts were handed out with kickbacks, AGs fired for not applying political influence or multiple ethics convictions then why the heck would we draw the line at someone taking a poorly timed vacation?

I don't disagree more should have been done about that, I think our PM should have been (and still be) removed from office and investigated for all the shady shit he's wrapped up in. I'm not willing to give this guy a pass because other politicians have got them.

Maybe politicians will start getting called out on their double standards of behavior more often.

Phillips only resigned his cabinet position. Still a MPP. Arcand doesn't hold a cabinet position to resign from.
Secondly neither of them have broke any laws other than common sense. For this there is no actual law broken.
Double standard? Nothing stopping most Canadians from going on trips if they choose.
Good point about the cabinet position. They didn't break any laws but that doesn't mean they can't be taken to task for bad decisions. The same way you and I can get a RW or C&P without being charged for anything.

I wasn’t sure that was going to actually happen but the writing was on the wall.

I refuse to be part of any vigilante "justice" to do with any COVID rules. We've been gaslit by the government and media to call the police on our neighbours for having a few consenting adults over for drinks, I'm not going to call for a politician to be fired over this. If we didn't demand more when multi-million dollar contracts were handed out with kickbacks, AGs fired for not applying political influence or multiple ethics convictions then why the heck would we draw the line at someone taking a poorly timed vacation?
The difference is that when contracts are handed out, people fired etc etc, we have no say in them, until the next election, when we can vote the bastards out.

With emergency covid-19 powers, governments at all levels have abrogated a half millenium of common law. The main reason for this is that they can.

I am far more concerned about government overreach, as opposed to who they offer up as a sacrificial lamb when they occasionally get blatantly caught and then offer some degree of contriteness. That satisfies some, but distracts from what our rights are under the original construct, and breeds compliance/complacency

Last edited:

The double standard is he was (and still is, just sent down to the minors) part of the team that told us not to do that. While not within the authority of any provincial emergency order, it was certainly part of the government's view of how we should all conduct ourselves. It's called leadership.

Besides, he got back and 'met' with the Premier today. Was that an in-person meeting or virtual? If virtual, talk about getting dumped over the phone. Brings back memories.

My favourite comment was "Clear evidence of Phillips' poor judgement: if he had resigned while he was still in St Barts, he could have finished his vacation."

The difference is that when contracts are handed out, people fired etc etc, we have no say in them, until the next election, when we can vote the bastards out.

With emergency covid-19 powers, governments at all levels have abrogated a half millenium of common law. The main reason for this is that they can.

I am far more concerned about government overreach, as opposed to who they offer up as a sacrificial lamb when they occasionally get blatantly caught and then offer some degree of contriteness. That satisfies some, but distracts from what our rights are under the original construct, and breeds compliance/complacency
With the media gaslighting us that everything the government does and says is right, and we should just shut up and follow along lest you be tarred and feathered or called a COVIDiot, that'll never happen. The statistics now don't support the draconian lockdowns we're facing. They did 8 months ago. 2/3 of all hospitalizations are 60+, 2/3 of ICU admissions are 60+, and 96.4% of deaths are 60+. Imagine what $300B would have done to support seniors to stay home, and surge staff to LTCs? Imagine what actual rapid testing at hospitals, care homes, prisons, and other communal living facilities would have done to stem outbreaks?

There's not even a light at the end of the tunnel, no government (provincial or federal) will tell us what the vaccination rate criteria is to return to normal. If Ontario is at 6,000 cases per day, and the hospitalization rate is near 0 because the actual vulnerable demographic (60+) is vaccinated, we should be wide open with very few restrictions other than the standard hand washing and social distancing. Even masks at that point become moot, or we better mandate them for the rest of our lives during cold/flu season.

With the media gaslighting us that everything the government does and says is right, and we should just shut up and follow along lest you be tarred and feathered or called a COVIDiot, that'll never happen. The statistics now don't support the draconian lockdowns we're facing. They did 8 months ago. 2/3 of all hospitalizations are 60+, 2/3 of ICU admissions are 60+, and 96.4% of deaths are 60+. Imagine what $300B would have done to support seniors to stay home, and surge staff to LTCs? Imagine what actual rapid testing at hospitals, care homes, prisons, and other communal living facilities would have done to stem outbreaks?

There's not even a light at the end of the tunnel, no government (provincial or federal) will tell us what the vaccination rate criteria is to return to normal. If Ontario is at 6,000 cases per day, and the hospitalization rate is near 0 because the actual vulnerable demographic (60+) is vaccinated, we should be wide open with very few restrictions other than the standard hand washing and social distancing. Even masks at that point become moot, or we better mandate them for the rest of our lives during cold/flu season.
We are violently agreeing.

Great points, totally agree.

We could have did a lot better from the start, instead we were worried about insulting or upsetting the WHO and China. Also gems like travel bans are racist.
Now the shock and fear of the situation has died down and people care less because they're fatigued with the back and forth rules, "expert advice" and seeing people buck rules and efforts.

Law enforcement agencies should have foreseen these anti-vaxxers and far-right wing nuts' capabilities at this point:

"Capabilties"? Yea, standing around is definitely black ops...

That's classified :)

secret stephen colbert GIF

I've always thought that Indian riot police/paramilitary bamboo batons as interesting

Indian-Kashmir-Protests-Flare-3-Killed-as-Army-Opens-Fire-800x394.jpg

🍻

I've always thought that Indian riot police/paramilitary bamboo batons as interesting

Indian-Kashmir-Protests-Flare-3-Killed-as-Army-Opens-Fire-800x394.jpg

🍻

It's a great example of the 'minimum force' principle:

If the bamboo sting wasn't enough, the 7.62 that follows will convince you to go somewhere else :)

Trudeau back with some transparency.
Can't the mean premiers just trust him for Christ sake?

Prime Minister Trudeau rejects plea from premiers to release details of vaccine contracts​

During the hour-long FMM, Trudeau made his own pitch to the premiers that they needed to help him restore public confidence in Canada’s vaccination plan.

Back