• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

George Floyd/ Derek Chauvin Thread

Maybe it’s just me, wondering why this shouldn’t be common sense…it’s only the first two factors in first aid…Airway-Breathing(…-Circulation).

Maybe it’s just me, wondering why this shouldn’t be common sense…it’s only the first two factors in first aid…Airway-Breathing(…-Circulation).

And 2/3 rds of this immediate action drill is about the O2 thing...

And 2/3 rds of this immediate action drill is about the O2 thing...

Right. That's what led to the federal civil rights charges against the four former Minnesota officers.

The indictment alleges that all four defendants saw Mr. Floyd lying on the ground in clear need of medical care and willfully failed to aid him. The indictment alleges that by doing so, all four defendants willfully deprived Mr. Floyd of his constitutional right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, which includes an arrestee’s right to be free from a police officer’s deliberate indifference to his serious medical needs. The indictment alleges that this offense resulted in bodily injury to, and the death of, Mr. Floyd.

Those are in addition to the state murder charges against the four.

My - guess - is that Derek will make a deal to testify at his upcoming federal civil rights trial ( he didn't at his state murder trial ) in exchange for being allowed to serve his time in a federal, rather than Minnesota, prison.

Sounds like Derek got shived.

Yeah, that was gonna be a matter of time. If you’re hated enough, someone will eventually get to you. I struggle to imagine anyone in the US prison system who would have a bigger target on his back than Chauvin.

Obviously it’s a failure by the system to keep him safe, and I’m not saying anything justifies or minimizes it. Just that he has to roll the dice probably multiple times every single day.

Why would he not be in what ever the US person of protective custody?
Well Jeff Epstein suicided under the watchful eye of Rikers Island staff. Maybe a similar situation here?

OK I can say this with a straight face - this would not happen in THIS jail where I work. Actually its spelled Gaol.

Why would he not be in what ever the US person of protective custody?
Protective Custody isn’t for convicted criminals.

He should be in isolation, as generally former LE don’t have a good go in prison. But depending upon the facility, they may not have enough staff or amenities to accommodate that, or maybe the staff just doesn’t care about him either…

“Here's the training manual,” the training manual showing a certain maximal restraint technique of immobilizing a recalcitrant suspect, which has a photograph in it of a man with his knee on the shoulder—not the neck, the shoulder—not in an asphyxiating but in an immobilizing manner. Just as when you see the body cam footage of Derek Chauvin in that position, it's very, very, very similar.

This was not allowed to be introduced into evidence at trial!

GLENN LOURY: We're talking about George Floyd because there has recently been released a documentary film called The Fall of Minneapolis. It's up at Rumble for free. Anybody can look at it. We'll put the URL in the description of this post. It raises a million questions. It's very well done. They have original body cam footage that's been carefully curated and edited and whatnot. It gives you a sense, the arrest of George Floyd, the trial of Derek Chauvin, the aftermath for the police department ...

The documentary is just shy of two hours long.

It shows the arrest from the body cams of the the officers involved as well as from street cameras. It includes a lot of imagery that was not permitted at trial.

It corroborates the technique Chauvin used as a departmentally sanctioned technique that everybody in the department learned. His personally owned training manuals, with the updated policy statements, were not permitted to be entered as evidence.

It shows the officers calling for EMS 36 seconds after trying to get Floyd into a vehicle and Floyd flailing with his legs and kicking the officer.

It shows an identical stop of Floyd a year prior where he repeated the same script almost verbatim. He also repeated the technique of swallowing his stash.

It shows the autops(ies) demonstrating no physical trauma but a low dose of Meth and a massive dose of Fentanyl and both "heavy heart" and "pulmonary edema" - lungs 2-3x their normal weight.

It shows the fire department showing up at the wrong address with the wrong equipment after taking 20 minutes to respond from a station 8 blocks away.

It shows the fire crew attaching the oxygen mask but failing to attach the hose to the oxygen. It shows one of the officers conducting CPR on Floyd in the EMS vehicle. It also shows the same officer in the cab of the vehicle talking to the Fire/EMS type wondering what took them so long. None of that was allowed into evidence......

It shows the evacuation of the precinct - which was ordered by the Mayor but somebody forgot to inform the coppers inside what the plan was. They found out when trucks showed up to clean out the armoury. The OiC then got an Evacuate-Evacuate-Evacuate order over the air after having been disarmed, refused permission to put on riot gear and told to sit tight.

They got the order about the same time the perimeter was breached. No safe route was established. The parking lot gate was locked and had to be knocked down by a Squad vehicle. Footage of Squad vehicles leaving while the OiC and uniformed staff are evacuating on foot at the trot with the mob behind them. They eventually bumped into a couple of buses that apparently had been sent to transport them. They boarded and the buses stayed in place. Nobody knew where they were supposed to go.....

And then there is the trial and the aftermath......

A jury and a fair trial says he did. Chauvin disgraced himself and our entire profession with his callous disregard and fatal abuse of a prisoner in his custody. He made all of our jobs harder by doing his exceptionally badly. I wish no harm on him, but it was a just verdict under the laws of his state and he deserves the sentence he got.

A jury and a fair trial says he did. Chauvin disgraced himself and our entire profession with his callous disregard and fatal abuse of a prisoner in his custody. He made all of our jobs harder by doing his exceptionally badly. I wish no harm on him, but it was a just verdict under the laws of his state and he deserves the sentence he got.

I envy you your clarity.

I envy you your clarity.
It comes from paying attention to the trial and the evidence presented, researching the applicable laws of that jurisdiction, watching the video of what happened several times, and the context of my own relevant experience and training. I accept the verdict of the jury and the fairness of the trial on the actual criminal al allegations, and his professional failures are very clear to those of us on the job who are decently trained, objective, and ethical.

Most of us have been in the position Chauvin was in many times over. Fighting a drugged up suspect until we have control. There was nothing particularly anomalous about the situation that was in. He made his choices, and that’s where his event differed criminally from the norm.

In addition to Derek, three other officers were also convicted of lesser offences.

Tou Thao​

Tou Thao, a Hmong-American,[52] was 34 at the time of Floyd's murder and started as a part-time community service officer in 2008. He graduated from the police academy in 2009. After a two-year layoff, he resumed police work in 2012.[48][53] Six complaints had been filed against Thao, none resulting in disciplinary action. In 2014, a man claimed Thao handcuffed him without cause, threw him to the ground, and punched, kicked, and kneed him; the man's teeth were broken and he was hospitalized.[48][54] The resulting lawsuit was settled for $25,000.[48] Thao kept bystanders away and was found guilty of violating Floyd's civil rights.[55]

J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane​

J. Alexander Kueng, a black[38] American then aged 26, and Thomas Kiernan Lane, a white[38] American then aged 37,[56][57][58] were licensed as law enforcement officers in August 2019.[57][59] They had trained together.[60] Chauvin was the superior officer responsible for most of Kueng's field training.[60] On May 3, 2020, video of an arrest incident in Minneapolis showed Chauvin, Kueng, Lane, and another officer roughly detaining a man on the ground as bystanders pleaded for them to show mercy. Kueng and Lane were with Chauvin as the day was part of their field training. The man, whom they detained wrongfully, said he had trouble breathing, and the incident was later said to be similar to Floyd's arrest.[61][62] Kueng and Lane were in their first week as Minneapolis police officers when Floyd was murdered.[63][56] Lane's application to join the police department had portions covering his criminal history redacted, including convictions for obstructing legal process and damaging property when he was 18.[64] Kueng and Lane helped Chauvin hold Floyd down; both were found guilty of violating Floyd's civil rights.[55] In October 2022, Kueng pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter and in December 2022 he was sentenced to three and a half years in jail.[65]

It comes from paying attention to the trial and the evidence presented, researching the applicable laws of that jurisdiction, watching the video of what happened several times, and the context of my own relevant experience and training. I accept the verdict of the jury and the fairness of the trial on the actual criminal al allegations, and his professional failures are very clear to those of us on the job who are decently trained, objective, and ethical.

Most of us have been in the position Chauvin was in many times over. Fighting a drugged up suspect until we have control. There was nothing particularly anomalous about the situation that was in. He made his choices, and that’s where his event differed criminally from the norm.

I was under the impression that even after conviction defendants were allowed to protest their innocence and appeal their convictions. Including in the event they believed that their trial was flawed.

I don't want to reopen this debate, but it wouldn't be the first time a jury and fair trial got it wrong.

I was under the impression that even after conviction defendants were allowed to protest their innocence and appeal their convictions. Including in the event they believed that their trial was flawed.
Of course they can. But as of now he’s guilty of second degree involuntary murder (‘felony murder’ doctrine), and third degree ‘depraved heart’ murder. Personally, having actually looked into what these mean in Minnesota law, I agree with both. I don’t think he’d have been convicted of murder as Canada defines it- likely aggravated assault, and criminal negligence causing death - but the laws in his jurisdiction fit the convictions to the facts.

You each are of course entitled to your own opinions on this. I’m just quite confident in mine.

I’ve watched a numbers of the videos and looked at the Restraint methods in the Department’s Policy (at the time).

I don’t see his restraint method being in accordance to policy. Despite his claims to the contrary. The knee position isn’t on the shoulder.

The Q&A is probably the most insightful, as unless you want to read all of the Medical Examiner’s report it summarizes the issue that had the Restraint been applied correctly - George Floyd probably would have lived.

Autopsy Report for those who want.

Back