• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians’ trust in the legacy media reaches a new low: report

Local stations close to the source or incident are almost obliged to be spot on. Too many locals know the circumstances and if you go off script, it'll be noticed. As you get further out, people have less involvement and less knowledge of the incident ...
... and fewer direct links between the event and the person they're seeing/reading/hearing describe the event.
The media waters have become quite muddied. A so-called MSM reporter will present their stories on their particular platform (print, TV, radio, etc.) but also post it as part of the platform's 'digital content', but someone who is an actual digital media reporter - or just calls themselves that only posts online.
Yup - I can produce a web site post with the same general look/feel as MSM, and I could just be typing in my basement in my underwear. Some people may be able to do decent analysis this way, but reader beware ....
It helps that, if it is a story I care about, I try to source different traditional media outlets. Maybe its a reflection of my generation.
While onerous sometimes, that's really the best way to go these days, for sure.

290915192_592369705583886_2074519029532755882_n.jpg

😁

Any one non-traditional source can be suspect. It's the sum of the multitude that is burying traditional media. Enough informal source authors are moved to correct and criticize traditional and other informal sources that it's all but impossible to sustain misinformation. And while traditional media are large, they're small by comparison to the many. So the views they want to promulgate really only persist among the parts of their audiences that are part of the bubble.

Interesting survey. I notice there was about a quarter of respondents that are less trusting in traditional media due to COVID coverage. If that's based on the traditional media being countered by 'new media', which might be unfounded tweets, facebook posts etc it's almost more of a reflection of a loss of understanding on critical review of an article for bias, legitimacy etc.

Scientist changing recommendations when they learn more about a new thing isn't an indication of them lying; it's actually just a good sign that they are basing their recommendations on the best information available at the time. It's the people that stick to their original plan when new info comes up that really worries me, not people doing the best they can and making assumptions where they have to to work through complex problems.

Interesting survey. I notice there was about a quarter of respondents that are less trusting in traditional media due to COVID coverage. If that's based on the traditional media being countered by 'new media', which might be unfounded tweets, facebook posts etc it's almost more of a reflection of a loss of understanding on critical review of an article for bias, legitimacy etc.

Scientist changing recommendations when they learn more about a new thing isn't an indication of them lying; it's actually just a good sign that they are basing their recommendations on the best information available at the time. It's the people that stick to their original plan when new info comes up that really worries me, not people doing the best they can and making assumptions where they have to to work through complex problems.
Well things like "don't go out and stock up on masks as they may not work", when they really meant: "Oh crap we don't have enough for ourselves, so tell them lies till we buy them all up". That sort of stuff burns your credibility.

Back