• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Rangers to conduct ultra long-range patrol...

anglo-saxon

Inactive
Reaction score
(Mods feel free to move to an appropriate spot. I know the Canadian Rangers are not Infantry, but I am and I saw no place for the Rangers, so here it is. The Canadian Rangers are Army, though, so perhaps they could have their own place under the Army heading? Just a thought)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks, on 26 January, Exercise Western Spirit will kick off in Victoria, BC. A number of Canadian Rangers and full-time army staff from the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group will board a Navy Ship (the HMCS Calgary) and sail up to Kitimat, BC. They will then get on snowmobiles and ride them to Churchill, MB, arriving there on March 1st. The distance covered (not including the trip by ship) will be around 3,400 Kms.

The commanding officer, Major Tim Byers, will be writing a daily journal entry which can be found on the following web site, along with other info about the exercise and also a link to enable anyone interested in tracking the progress of the trek by GPS beacon.

This has taken a year to plan and has received national recognition already. It promises to be an excellent event to showcase the abilities of our Canadian Rangers of the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group.

churchill_feb2008.jpg

Rangers on work-up training in '07.

Check it out at: http://www.army.gc.ca/4crpg/ex_western_spirit.asp

Cheers,

A-S

That sounds like an incredible trip.
I'm a day's train ride south of Churchill (I'm in Thompson, MB) and we've been having fun and games with windchill warnings all week -it may be minus 51 with the windchill, but at least it's a dry cold  ;D.
I do hope they get better weather for their journey.

I'm kind of curious why there are no Ranger dets in northern MB...? 

Back