• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Prison

kawa11 said:
What exactly does one do to be put into prison/detention but still not enough to immediately be discharged?

(not like I'm testing the fence - just find the statement to be contradictary)

Knew a guy who did time for assaulting another member of his unit. Unless you're sentenced to dismissal by the courts martial, then you get to stay in the CF.

PuckChaser said:
Knew a guy who did time for assaulting another member of his unit. Unless you're sentenced to dismissal by the courts martial, then you get to stay in the CF.

There may be administrative action in addition to disciplinary action which may result in release.

kawa11 said:
What exactly does one do to be put into prison/detention but still not enough to immediately be discharged?

(not like I'm testing the fence - just find the statement to be contradictary)

Everything from being absent from work to (in the rare case) murder.  Generally, everyone who is sentenced by a military court to a period of detention or imprisonment will go to Edmonton, save those who do shorter sentences in the local guardhouse.  Even those whose sentence includes dismissal from the CF may initially go to the DB and remain there until such time as review/appeal is completed.  If the sentence is in excess of two years less a day, once the review/appeal/administrative processes are completed, the sentence is done in a federal correctional facility.  In that way, it is similar to the relationship/difference between provincial and federal pens.

I've been personally acquainted with individuals who have served time in Edmonton and were not released following completion of their sentence for AWOL, possession of a controlled substance, assault, theft, usury and fraud.  I've also known persons whose release from the CF coincided with the completion of their sentences (which did not include dismissal from the service).

I was posted to Edmonton detention barracks for 90 days in 83. Was convicted on a summary trial, and was not guilty of any of the charges, but MP who was in charge of interviews and questioning didn't like me too much as he knew I knew he was guilty of the same things being thrown at me and I told him so during questioning at the MP shack, so his stenographer stopped taking notes and he told me I could leave the room. Then during my trial he tells the Colonel I stormed out of the questioning room. Also the detention barracks had my name on the arrival board 1 week prior to my trial, so there was no chance of beating it, even though I showed at the trial I was no where near Alberta at the time of the incident(s). So you don't have to do anything to be sent to Edmonton.
The 1st 2 weeks we were assigned to "a" wing, only a cig after each meal, no talking, no work parties, clean inside the prison only. Then on to "b" wing and get a extra smoke before bed and stay up 1 hour later. Can go out on day trips with work party. I worked in the kitchen, so the 6 of us had our own dorm room (cell for 6). We used to bring the kitchen radio up at night and when the French guards were on shift, one old ***** would come in at night and yell at us, "You B wing, you no radio" and take it back to the kitchen, we would take it back the next day again.
A couple of guys were in and out of the black cell regularly when I was there, they made it a game or a joke with the guards. 3 days on bread and water and 23 hours locked in.
One guy, who liked to cause trouble tried tattooing guys on their hands to show jail tats. Him and 2 guys helping went around with india ink and a pencil with a pin in it.
You were allowed 3 strikes and then off to the black cell. I had 4 strikes on me and the Sgt told me to report to his office later in the day, I knew I was off to the black cell so I just didn't go and I guess he forgot about me as it never came up again, lucky me.
One guy was sentenced there for 2 yrs less a day, he was the longest sentence when I was there. If you were over 90 days sentence, then after "b" wing was "c" wing, large dorm and those guys just hung around all day, nothing to do for them.
Staring at the "eyes" on the post at the guard station to ask to use the washroom, sometimes they made you stand quite a while before asking you what you wanted, and once you stood there, you couldn't just walk away if they ignored you.
Brushing your teeth while someone took a crap behind you with no stall around the toilet was great.
A master corporal from boot camp (Cornwallis) came in there when I was there, I remember him from Cornwallis, he used to get drunk and come in the barracks at night and be an *** to all the recruits, thought he was a tough guy, but turns out he wasn't so tough in Edmonton, knocked him down a peg or two.
Any questions ask me,
I got out of Edmonton in 61 days due to the points system, serve 2/3rds of your sentence if perfect score, I messed up for 1 extra day.
Went back a few years ago to see detention barracks and that side of the base is all gone now, didn't know where the new prison went to.

I have boxes of documents, and spent 1000's of dollars to fight them, but as some of you will soon figure out, the Military has their own set of laws and the Canadian Criminal code or the laws that govern the rest of Canada do not apply to any of you still in the military. So remember they will do with you as they will , and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
So kid all you like, (comments below) but in my case I have proof that I was innocent and went through a Kangaroo court in the Military on charges that would have never seen the light of day in a civilian court.
As well, all the guys I was there with all owned up to what they were sent there for.
Late for work = sent to a maximum security prison, blowing up a barrack block = sent to a maximum security prison. This was the range of 'guilty' people. I'm sure y'all could find a place somewhere in between to be sentenced yourselves, if you happen across an NCO or Officer that takes a disliking to you during your career, they can make up anything to send you, good luck.

Slotbandit said:
I was posted to Edmonton detention barracks for 90 days in 83. Was convicted on a summary trial, and was not guilty of any of the charges, but MP who was in charge of interviews and questioning didn't like me too much as he knew I knew he was guilty of the same things being thrown at me and I told him so during questioning at the MP shack, so his stenographer stopped taking notes and he told me I could leave the room. Then during my trial he tells the Colonel I stormed out of the questioning room. Also the detention barracks had my name on the arrival board 1 week prior to my trial, so there was no chance of beating it, even though I showed at the trial I was no where near Alberta at the time of the incident(s). So you don't have to do anything to be sent to Edmonton.
The 1st 2 weeks we were assigned to "a" wing, only a cig after each meal, no talking, no work parties, clean inside the prison only. Then on to "b" wing and get a extra smoke before bed and stay up 1 hour later. Can go out on day trips with work party. I worked in the kitchen, so the 6 of us had our own dorm room (cell for 6). We used to bring the kitchen radio up at night and when the French guards were on shift, one old ***** would come in at night and yell at us, "You B wing, you no radio" and take it back to the kitchen, we would take it back the next day again.
A couple of guys were in and out of the black cell regularly when I was there, they made it a game or a joke with the guards. 3 days on bread and water and 23 hours locked in.
One guy, who liked to cause trouble tried tattooing guys on their hands to show jail tats. Him and 2 guys helping went around with india ink and a pencil with a pin in it.
You were allowed 3 strikes and then off to the black cell. I had 4 strikes on me and the Sgt told me to report to his office later in the day, I knew I was off to the black cell so I just didn't go and I guess he forgot about me as it never came up again, lucky me.
One guy was sentenced there for 2 yrs less a day, he was the longest sentence when I was there. If you were over 90 days sentence, then after "b" wing was "c" wing, large dorm and those guys just hung around all day, nothing to do for them.
Staring at the "eyes" on the post at the guard station to ask to use the washroom, sometimes they made you stand quite a while before asking you what you wanted, and once you stood there, you couldn't just walk away if they ignored you.
Brushing your teeth while someone took a crap behind you with no stall around the toilet was great.
A master corporal from boot camp (Cornwallis) came in there when I was there, I remember him from Cornwallis, he used to get drunk and come in the barracks at night and be an *** to all the recruits, thought he was a tough guy, but turns out he wasn't so tough in Edmonton, knocked him down a peg or two.
Any questions ask me,
I got out of Edmonton in 61 days due to the points system, serve 2/3rds of your sentence if perfect score, I messed up for 1 extra day.
When back a few years ago to see detention barracks and that side of the base is all gone now, didn't know where the new prison went to.

Its now on 195 Ave, by the giant warehouse on the south end of Namao

Slotbandit said:
I was posted to Edmonton detention barracks for 90 days in 83. Was convicted on a summary trial, and was not guilty of any of the charges, but MP who was in charge of interviews and questioning didn't like me too much...

One thing I learned long ago is that EVERY prisoner is innocent and was railroaded.  Take comfort in the fact you are in good company.

Schindler's Lift said:
One thing I learned long ago is that EVERY prisoner is innocent and was railroaded.  Take comfort in the fact you are in good company.

Really? EVERY prisoner is innocent? So I guess that CIC Captain that molested cadets is innocent then...

RedcapCrusader said:
Really? EVERY prisoner is innocent? So I guess that CIC Captain that molested cadets is innocent then...

It's true. There has never been a guilty member sent to Edmonton. You can ask any one of them and they will all tell you they were innocent.

cupper said:
It's true. There has never been a guilty member sent to Edmonton. You can ask any one of them and they will all tell you they were innocent.

AH, hahaha, I get it now...  :oops:

Back