• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Pocketbook? How about a ridicolous ballooning debt?
Nobody really made that a central issue. Both the liberal and CPC platform coating were relatively the same. In fact the CPC budget will balance itself plan was the same one the LPC had a few years ago.

The childcare thing is a bit of a scam, if you don't use a "licenced daycare" , no money for you. The CPC giving money for childcare to be used by parent as they saw fit, was better, as we paid a friend to care for our kids.

Pocketbook? How about a ridicolous ballooning debt?
Okay, you live in a Canadian urban center.

You're paying 2000 a month on daycare, per child.

You are making the median income, 62k per year. 1/3 of the money you make is going to childcare.

Lets say you're lower income, 42k a year. More than HALF your income is going to childcare. One may be forced to stay home because its not worth it to work.

The LPC says its going to get childcare from 24k a year to 2.4k a year. Saving someone with one kid in daycare 22k a year. Saving someone with two kids in daycare 44k a year.

Do you honestly, seriously, not ironically, think that a person in line to save 22k a year cares about the ballooning debt in that case?

Seriously?

The childcare thing is a bit of a scam, if you don't use a "licenced daycare" , no money for you. The CPC giving money for childcare to be used by parent as they saw fit, was better, as we paid a friend to care for our kids.
Ah yes, tax credits.

Unless you're not working, in which case no tax credit. And if you cannot get a spot, you cannot work, so no tax credit. And if you're income is low, your tax credit isn't going to be that high, so the 24k paid towards childcare doesn't really do anything.

And even at the max eligibility a family gets 6000 per year, but that drops childcare costs from 24k to 18k, still rampantly unaffordable. And according to O'Toole himself, that would be for the lowest tax bracket, so those earning under 40k a year.

The CPC childcare plan was hot garbage and nobody should be surprised that urban Canada flocked towards the LPC and the LPC childcare plan.

Okay, you live in a Canadian urban center.

You're paying 2000 a month on daycare, per child.

You are making the median income, 62k per year. 1/3 of the money you make is going to childcare.

Lets say you're lower income, 42k a year. More than HALF your income is going to childcare. One may be forced to stay home because its not worth it to work.

The LPC says its going to get childcare from 24k a year to 2.4k a year. Saving someone with one kid in daycare 22k a year. Saving someone with two kids in daycare 44k a year.

Do you honestly, seriously, not ironically, think that a person in line to save 22k a year cares about the ballooning debt in that case?

Seriously?
Child care is just as expensive in rural Canada where people make significantly less money.

Debt affects interest rate and taxation. Every Canadian should damn well give a crap about it. Ballooning debt will hamper an economy badly.

I am NOT asking why the Conservatives didn't get in. NO. Re-read my post.

I am asking why the hell would anyone vote for Trudeau this time around. All his great ideas now? He broke promises for the last six years so why expect different.

Again, why would anyone with a sense of the real world ever put Trudeau back in power in 2021?

Child care is just as expensive in rural Canada where people make significantly less money.
This is true.
Debt affects interest rate and taxation. Every Canadian should damn well give a crap about it. Ballooning debt will hamper an economy badly.
Every Canadian should, but a lot of Canadians were oddly comfortable spending near half a trillion to battle the pandemic. Turns out 30 billion on childcare over 5 years isn't going to turn too many heads.
I am NOT asking why the Conservatives didn't get in. NO. Re-read my post.
Fine.
I am asking why the hell would anyone vote for Trudeau this time around. All his great ideas now? He broke promises for the last six years so why expect different.
He also kept promises. But here's the kicker. Vote for the chance, a good chance seeing as 8 provinces have signed childcare agreements with the feds to date, to get a national childcare program, or vote NDP and risk the CPC winning and O'Toole killing the program, or vote CPC and watch O'Toole kill the program?

It's not much of a choice.
Again, why would anyone with a sense of the real world ever put Trudeau back in power in 2021?
FPTP makes it so that 3rd parties have hard time winning plurality, thus it was Trudeau versus O'Toole, LPC platform versus CPC platform.

Whatever you think of Trudeau the leader, the LPC plan was flat out better than the CPC plan if one is a progressive voter.

Nobody really made that a central issue. Both the liberal and CPC platform coating were relatively the same. In fact the CPC budget will balance itself plan was the same one the LPC had a few years ago.
How do you explain the importance of budgeting to a generation that can't balance their own budgets?

How do you explain the importance of budgeting to a generation that can't balance their own budgets?

Dude...

55434213.jpg

So I did a riding population density election result comparison before this election.

Last time around under Andrew Scheer, the CPC only started winning at riding 67, Edmonton Greisbach, 2,443 / km²

This time around....Calgary Center, riding 69, 2,422 / km²

Not bad on the face of it, but...

CPC losses.

Edmonton Center possibly, ranked 70, 2,422 / km²

Richmond Center, ranked 76, 2,276 / km²

Calgary Skyview, ranked 132, 1,107 / km²

More losses in Urban Canada.

And in the category of dropped/resigned candidates who remained on the ballot the nominees are . . .

For the NDP:
Sydney Coles (Toronto-St. Paul's) - a not unsurprising weak 3rd place showing against a popular Liberal cabinet minister incumbent.
Dan Osborne (Cumberland-Colchester) - a weak 3rd place typical of past NDP performance in this riding.

For the CPC:
Lisa Robinson (Beaches-East York) - 3rd place against winning incumbent Liberal with vote percentages similar to the previous two elections.

For the LPC:
Raj Saini (Kitchener-Centre) - this incumbent MP came 4th in a race that gave the Green Party its first seat in Ontario.

And the winner is . . .

Kevin Voung (Spadina-Fort York) - former Liberal candidate (and "Naval" reservist) is leading in this race by over 1300 votes with over 99% of ballots counted. The allegations against Voung came to light after advanced voting had closed.

Last edited:
Dan Osbourne's votes would have won it for Lenore. Thanks be to Dan's voters.

Chris Voung (Spadina-Fort York) - former Liberal candidate (and "Naval" reservist) is leading in this race by over 1300 votes with over 99% of ballots counted. The allegations against Voung came to light after advanced voting had closed.
I know that CBC is still showing him as a Liberal, but in reality, he is an independent.

I know that CBC is still showing him as a Liberal, but in reality, he is an independent.
Yeah, and in the grand scheme of things, the LPC being 12-14 seats short of majority means little if the Bloc and NDP have 34 and 25 seats respectively.

He probably votes with the LPC anyways.

Glacing at some of the ridings it appears that the PPC has cost the CPC at least a few seats.

Ah yes, tax credits.

Unless you're not working, in which case no tax credit. And if you cannot get a spot, you cannot work, so no tax credit. And if you're income is low, your tax credit isn't going to be that high, so the 24k paid towards childcare doesn't really do anything.

And even at the max eligibility a family gets 6000 per year, but that drops childcare costs from 24k to 18k, still rampantly unaffordable. And according to O'Toole himself, that would be for the lowest tax bracket, so those earning under 40k a year.

The CPC childcare plan was hot garbage and nobody should be surprised that urban Canada flocked towards the LPC and the LPC childcare plan.
I guess JT is glad that most urban Canadians don't understand that someone ends up paying for that...

Nothing is free - it either comes back in your tax burden or that of your children or great grandchildren.

All that money going to babysitting sure could have fixed a lot of military capability gaps, but alas this is Canada.

I guess JT is glad that most urban Canadians don't understand that someone ends up paying for that...
I'm not going to go over the economic benefits of childcare yet again.

I will say that 4 of the 5 parties in parliament support a national childcare plan and 66.1 voted for a party who would support a national childcare plan.
Nothing is free - it either comes back in your tax burden or that of your children or great grandchildren.
The CPC is free to embrace this opinion in perpetuity from the opposition benches.

But who am I kidding?

This is pretty locked in right now. Its one thing to kill this program while its still being rolled out the door, its another altogether to kill it after its been up and running for a few years.

This is why I like the LPC. CPC opposes progressive legislation, say they will roll it back or cancel it, LPC wins, its runs for a few years and then the next CPC candidate doesn't touch it.

Weed and CCB being two recent examples.

Back