• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Air Force engineer honoured for heroic Mount Everest rescue

dardt

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/28/everest-rescue.html

Canadian honoured for heroic Mount Everest rescue
Last Updated: Monday, May 28, 2007 | 1:40 PM ET
CBC News
A Canadian mountain climber was honoured as a hero in Nepal on Monday for rescuing a severely ill woman on the snow-covered slopes of Mount Everest.

Meagan McGrath, 29, was scaling down the world's highest mountain on May 21 when she came across Nepalese climber Usha Bista.

Canadian Meagan McGrath, 29, was honoured Monday in Nepal for rescuing a woman on Mount Everest.
(Canadian Press/Sudbury Star/Science North) Bista was leaning on a snowbank near the summit, barely conscious, her brain swelling because of high altitude cerebral edema, a potentially fatal condition that can affect climbers.

"It was a very tenuous situation," said McGrath, a seasoned mountain climber who grew up in Sudbury, Ont., and now lives in Ottawa. "I did not have everything I needed to help her. Her condition was deteriorating to a point where I was very concerned that she would die."

McGrath, who's an aerospace engineer with the Canadian military, flagged down another climber and his guide. The trio called other climbers to help.

Once more climbers arrived, the group bundled Bista into a sleeping bag, strapped her onto a sled and pulled her down the 8,848-metre mountain, known for its icy, rough terrain, high winds and thin air.

Continue Article

Bista has now recovered, although she's still suffering from frostbite on her hands and feet.

"I am indebted to these people for life," Bista said Sunday, who described her team of rescuers as gods. "I can't believe the love and concern they showed to rescue me in spite of such a difficult situation."

Called a hero
McGrath said she was happy she was able to help.

"I am glad I was the one person who started the chain, I suppose, but I am glad someone jumped in," she said. "As we brought her down, she was deteriorating. She started to become less conscious to the point of mumbling."

High altitude cerebral edema, a form of altitude sickness that generally comes on suddenly, causes climbers to feel confused, hallucinate and lose consciousness as their brain swells. The best chance for survival is to be immediately removed from the high altitude environment and get medication.

Ang Tshering, the president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, called McGrath a hero on Monday. The association organized a ceremony in her honour in the Nepalese city of Kathmandu, giving her a bouquet of flowers and a yellow scarf, used to mark special occasions in Nepal.

McGrath finished her Everest climb on the weekend, after reaching the summit May 20. She is the youngest Canadian on record to climb the highest mountain on every continent. She's also the first member of Canada's Armed Forces to do so.

She climbed Australia's Mount Kosciuszko (2,228 m) in 2006, Antarctica's Vinson Massif (4,897 m) in 2004 and Alaska's McKinley (6194 m) in 2003.

In 2003, she also climbed Elbrus (5,642 m) on the Russia/Georgia border, while she climbed Tanzania's Kilimanjaro (5,963 m) and Argentina's Aconcagua (6,962 m) in 2002.

Good on her! 

I remember reading something about her not too long ago, having to do with her climbing mountains around the world.  Not sure where I saw that.  Anyway, she does have a website for those interested.

"wrong kind of engineer" but, good on ya!

CHIMO!

When you think climbing Mount Everest isn't tough enough, drag an unconscious body down the slope with you  ;)

What a great thing to do! It sets an excellent example for other people.

:salute:

Good job Meagan!

Talk about being humble.  Her ascent was on the news a day or so before they picked up on the story of the other woman being abandoned by her shirpa.  Even then, it took another day or so beyond that before the story of Meagan came out!

Well done.

Anyone thinking of putting her in for anything? Being CF, and demonstrably brave under the most extreme circumstances, means that she should merit something, no?

she could easily qualify for something like the Star of Courage.... or something like that.....

at the very least.... a CDS' commendation is in order.

IMHO

Might fall into that category of 'was someone there from the CF to witness it'?

Call it intuition, or perhaps I was just applying a stereotype...(I'd rather think it was the former rather than latter), but as I was watching the news coverage of this, the first thought that came to me when I watched the interview was: "She comes accross as military to me...I wonder if she is in."

So when I see this thread I think, "aha! I was right!"

I was proud of her as a Canadian...but there is bit more pride there now that I've confirmed the military connection. Good on her!

GreyMatter said:
Might fall into that category of 'was someone there from the CF to witness it'?

Not at all.  The incident is well enough documented.
I have a friend who received the Star of Courage for pulling a family of four out of an overturned burning car that the cops wouldn't go close to.
It's a matter of someone out of her CoC writing her up for it.

Quite right. If someone on this forum is connected to her CoC they should give them a 'nudge' just in case this hasn't occurred to them yet.

'Someone in her CoC' shouldnt need a 'nudge'.  The problem is that there will be people in her CoC who will see this as 'she was just doing her job'.  These types of acts should be recognized for what they are and action taken to support it.  You know, like what leaders are supposed to do?

GreyMatter said:
'Someone in her CoC' shouldnt need a 'nudge'.  The problem is that there will be people in her CoC who will see this as 'she was just doing her job'.  These types of acts should be recognized for what they are and action taken to support it.  You know, like what leaders are supposed to do?
Doing her job?

She was climbing & coming down a mountaintop at the top of the world & came across an unconcious, dying explorer..... that's her job?.... you're kidding - right?

Thats not my opinion.  I think her actions portray her as bringing great credit upon herself the CF and her country.  Its not a simple thing bringing a person down a mountian alive.

But in comparible situations Ive heard the comment from higher positoned people, 'they were just doing their job'. 

It was just the right thing to do given the situation IS NOT, just doing her job.
Not by a long shot.
Her job is on a canadian airfield, following orders given by her superiors.
If she was in the Himmalayas, she was either on vacation OR AWOL

The last guy I knew who was a mountaineer (back in my infantry days), did not go in his spare time, or on vacation, or when AWOL - he would send in a request and the CF would approve his being part of a climb team as part of maintaining his skills and capabilities.  She might be on the same plan...

... not part of required skill set  for her job

Okay Im lost - do you support her getting a commendation or no?

Edit - Never mind, question answered...

geo said:
she could easily qualify for something like the Star of Courage.... or something like that.....

at the very least.... a CDS' commendation is in order.

Doesn't that answer your question ?

Back