• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
There are a few that can't be/ shouldn't be discussed here.      ;)

Regards

I could sort of tell they looked slightly different but being having an untrained eye vs. armoured vehicles I can't "really" tell what's different other than the exterior armour.

PuckChaser said:
Assuming we have the applicable equipment/Leo1 C2 equipment is compatible, perhaps we can finally get the Leo1 C2s back to Canada and use the safer vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the c2 at all. Still a great platform and a awesome little tank. I would love to see them still used, they were easy to maintain over there...no issues what so ever. Gunnery systems are very similar and makes a transition to a a6 a mere 2 drill changes and some buttonology.

I would love to see these placed at cfb's for reserve training during the summer...alas I know that it would be a huge logistical/ maintance issue.In an ideal world however i think it would be vaulable.

More pix:
leo2a4mcan1010071c.jpg

leo2a4mcan1010072c.jpg

leo2a4mcan1010074c.jpg

leo2a4mcan1010076c.jpg

leo2a4mcan1010077c.jpg

Source:
- http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?187529-Leopard-2-A4M-CAN-New-Variant

Regards,
ironduke57

Ungh....Militaryphotos forum.....nothing but speculation and inuendo backed up by rumours.

I guess we're off to the Kush....our A6's are still loaners as well.        ::)

Regards

So do they have the "New tank" smell?  :)

Stunning to think how far we have come in regards to tanks in the last few years. From the grave to almost new!

I wonder if all western tank rebuilds will include pioneer equipment mounting point from now on?

What exactly is this tanks designation? A4 equipment, M classification and A7 side armour + many other unknown parts.

Leopard 2A4M CAN?

SevenSixTwo said:
What exactly is this tanks designation? A4 equipment, M classification and A7 side armour + many other unknown parts.

Leopard 2A4M CAN?

Leo2A4 Ops

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I guess we're off to the Kush....our A6's are still loaners as well.        ::)
Indeed - this out today from the Canadian Press:
.... the Canadian army is taking the opportunity to return some of the tanks it hastily borrowed from Germany more than three years ago as the war was exploding in the withered farmland west of Kandahar city.

The heavily armoured Leopard 2 A6Ms were rushed into Kandahar in the summer of 2007 to help defend troops against bigger and more powerful roadside bombs.

Fewer than half a dozen of the 20 borrowed machines are being replaced with upgraded Leopard 2 A4M tanks, which the Defence Department purchased from the Dutch and modified for use in Afghanistan's arid desert, said Lt.-Gen. Peter Devlin, the head of the army.

All of the borrowed vehicles will be returned after the combat mission ends next spring, and will have to be refurbished before they are returned, Devlin said in a recent interview.

"The ones going now are part of the normal replacement, based on hours and mileage." ....

I would love to have the opportunity to ride in one of these bad a$$ war machines!! 

The remarks attributed to the CLS suggest a major change in procurement. It had been the plan to refurbish 20 ex-Dutch 2A6 and give them to the Germans. Now the question is this, will Canada refurbish another 20 ex-Dutch tanks to 2A4M or 2A6M Canada standard to provide the 40 operational tanks that the replacement program sought?

Perhaps the tanks are worth more to the Germans in their current conditions as testbeds that they examine at leisure to determine long-term fatigue rates and part needs for their fleet over the next 20 years.

... Canada has also contracted with Rheinmetall to modernize and overhaul Leopard main battle tanks taken over by the Canadian Army from the Dutch armed forces; the order is worth around €17 million. By the start of 2012, a total of 42 Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks are to be refitted to meet Canadian Army standards and enable integration into existing C4I structures.

The two orders underscore Rheinmetall's wide spectrum of competences as a leading supplier of army technology - ranging from heavy armoured platforms to individual weapon systems and the accompanying ammunition. ...

Leopard%20A4%20RhC.jpg

- http://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/index.p...=3&fid=5486

Regards,
ironduke57

There is a rumor that canada bought ~12 Leo 2A4 from the swiss and will rebuild them to some sort of support vehicle? (Pionierpanzer 3 Kodiak?)

Anyone knows something about this?

Regards,
ironduke57

It was more of take 12 MBTs from the 100 purchased and convert them to AEV/ARV. The Swiss have experience with these conversions. I think RUAG is looking at setting up a Cdn office to compete for this work.

http://www.ruag.com/en/Defence/Land_Systems/Heavy_weapon_systems/Armoured_Engineer_Vehicle_KODIAK

Back