• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

With a sea king on display, all the grand pappys who used to be in the Navy back in the fifties and sixties must of gotten nostalgic at seeing such an old bird still serving. On that note, what level of CD does an aircraft with 50+ years service get (CD 4th clasp?)

KMW delivers 20 upgraded Leopard 2 main battle tanks to Canada
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) has handed over the first of 20 Leopard 2 A4M CAN modernised battle tanks to the Canadian armed forces yesterday, October 7th 2010. The roll-out took place in the presence of the Canadian military representative, Vice Admiral Denis Rouleau, the deputy armed forces inspector, lieutenant-general Bruno Kasdorf, and numerous other representatives of the Canadian and German army on training area at Bergen near Hannover (Germany). The next deployment location for the Canadian Leopards will be Afghanistan.

On the occasion of the roll-out, Brigadier-General Steve Bowes, Commander of the Canadian Land Force Atlantic Area said: "The complexity of the contemporary operational environment has done nothing to dimish the importance of armour supporting the combined arms team. Canadians are proud to serve our nation and support our allies abroad with the best main battle tank Leopard 2 for today's complex operational environment."
From a sidebar to the news release:
KMW delivers 20 upgraded LEOPARD 2 to Canada
- Tanks will be sent straight to Afghanistan - Deployment in urban terrain also guaranteed - Development, upgrading and delivery in less than one year  [ next ]
Photo from the company's web page:
Presse%20grosses%20Bild.jpg

ArmyRick said:
With a sea king on display, all the grand pappys who used to be in the Navy back in the fifties and sixties must of gotten nostalgic at seeing such an old bird still serving. On that note, what level of CD does an aircraft with 50+ years service get (CD 4th clasp?)

It doesn't get a medal, the crews that have to fly in it should get one though....

Petamocto said:
Really?  If so good news.

I'm not a tanker, but two years ago it was not the 2A6s with the rollers but the older (smaller) variants.

On of my best memories was seeing a Leo (C2 I think) take an IED hit on the roller, shake it off, then traverse to 3 o'clock and blow a 6' wide hole in the mud wall where the trigger man was.

Gee that seems really familiar! The worst thing was waiting for the roller to come back as it had a little ding in it. Had to go to kaf to get xrayed.

As for the umbrella I never used the darn thing. When it was mounted on a C2 after  Iwas done getting hit by a mortar  I tried to close my hatch...only to find with the bracket mounted for the umbrella it wouldnt close!  I found the cooling vest was the saviour and hated that umbrella.

PuckChaser said:
It doesn't get a medal, the crews that have to fly in it should get one though....

Seen the air-crew patch they did up a few years ago?

"Flying yesterday's technology Tomorrow"

A bloody shame.

NS

Interesting note from the article that Toni posted for those concerned about the Leo 2 being able to conduct breaching operations.  They seem to have found a fix.

The main focus of the new design was consistent protection of the crews, who are subjected to enemy attacks with powerful anti-tank projectiles and are in constant danger from mines and IED's (Improvised Explosive Devices). The starting point for the protection concept is outstanding protection from mines and good all-round protection.

Furthermore, the capabilities of the new battle tank have been significantly extended by integrating a pioneer equipment interface. Mine rollers, mine ploughs and dozer blades allow the Canadian armed forces to carry out a wide range of dangerous tasks in spite of the small number of heavy vehicles. Provisions have also been made for deployment in the extreme heat of southern Afghanistan.

It's beautiful, although it is odd not seeing the A6 armour on the turret on a CF Leo 2. Thanks for the bigger pictures.

SevenSixTwo said:
It's beautiful, although it is odd not seeing the A6 armour on the turret on a CF Leo 2. Thanks for the bigger pictures.

"Add-on Armour" is just that; add-on.  It doesn't really matter what model the tank is, as long as the turret and hull are configured to take the armour.

SevenSixTwo said:

I'm sure the birdcage will get mounted as soon as it hits KAF.

Regards

George Wallace said:
"Add-on Armour" is just that; add-on.  It doesn't really matter what model the tank is, as long as the turret and hull are configured to take the armour.

I didn't mean the additional slat armour (bird cage) we put on in Afghanistan. I meant the A6's armour vs. the A4's armour.

Reference 2A4: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.armyvehicles.dk/images/leopard2a4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.armyvehicles.dk/leopard2a4.htm&h=287&w=428&sz=29&tbnid=cgzLQH2RB8bCGM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleopard%2B2a4&zoom=1&q=leopard+2a4&hl=en&usg=__MRKsbeTjJi9vrNeHhKg99FdUumQ=&sa=X&ei=VmOyTPytGo6nnQfJ5Mj2BQ&ved=0CBsQ9QEwAA

vs.

Reference 2A6: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.military-today.com/tanks/leopard_2a6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.military-today.com/tanks/leopard_2a6.htm&h=374&w=600&sz=41&tbnid=zLOD4aZrJ_rPwM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleopard%2B2a6&zoom=1&q=leopard+2a6&hl=en&usg=__ev6CdoYqJjSsIe96nyrwNdw8-Jw=&sa=X&ei=gGOyTMKCOJKinQeeou2BBg&ved=0CBwQ9QEwAg

Unless of course you were actaully talking about this armour.

EDIT: Nevermind I am just foolish. I didn't recognize it had the A6 armour upgrades on the turret already in the pictures.

A bit more from an online defence publication:
.... It is the first deployment in which the Leopard 2 has been exposed to several attacks, particularly with improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Major André Picard of the Canadian Equipment Management Ram for Heavy Armoured Vehicles told defpro.com at a KMW celebration for the tank’s 30-year anniversary (see http://goo.gl/VJ3T) that the Leopards had suffered an unnamed number of IED hits and were involved in several attacks by insurgents. Picard did not confirm any attacks with rocket propelled grenades (RPGs), which have become one of the major threats in the combat zones of Afghanistan. However, he emphasised that troops are very satisfied with the tank and its show of force and fire power has significantly helped to suppress attacks. Picard confirmed in 2009 that Canada would keep the Leopard 2 in the Afghan theatre as long as the mission continues ....
More here.

So, Is the 2A4 CAN more like a 2A4(+) or a 2A5(-)?
I see from the pictures that we did not adopt the more capable commander's sight of the 2A5 & 2A6.  So, what upgrades did we go with?

MCG said:
So, Is the 2A4 CAN more like a 2A4(+) or a 2A5(-)?
I see from the pictures that we did not adopt the more capable commander's sight of the 2A5 & 2A6.  So, what upgrades did we go with?

There are a few that can't be/ shouldn't be discussed here.      ;)

Regards

Furthermore, the capabilities of the new battle tank have been significantly extended by integrating a pioneer equipment interface. Mine rollers, mine ploughs and dozer blades allow the Canadian armed forces

Assuming we have the applicable equipment/Leo1 C2 equipment is compatible, perhaps we can finally get the Leo1 C2s back to Canada and use the safer vehicles.

PuckChaser said:
Assuming we have the applicable equipment/Leo1 C2 equipment is compatible, perhaps we can finally get the Leo1 C2s back to Canada and use the safer vehicles.

They are both safe. Trust me.        ;)

Regards

Back