• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

ironduke57 said:
Leopard%20A4%20RhC.jpg

- http://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/index.p...=3&fid=5486

Regards,
ironduke57

This would be a cool place to take a tour in.

Aye, that it would Colin.  I got to play with C1's once upon a time.  It was good fun.

NS

Well Colin you could attend this years I&I from Tanknet. AFAIK they try to visit some Rheinmetall facility.

Regards,
ironduke57

Hmm interesting thought, I had to miss last years I&I and SHOT so the wife might be willing to let me loose for a week.  :nod:

.... according to one Austrian media report:
Austria is in talks to sell 40 second-hand Leopard 2A4 tanks back to their German manufacturer after Vienna balked at the Canadian military buying them, a press report said Monday.

Austrian defence ministry spokesman Michael Bauer confirmed only that talks with the firm, Krauss-Maffei Wegmann, were "going well, although nothing has been signed yet."

The Austrian daily Kronen-Zeitung said that the Canadian military had also expressed interest in buying the 15-year-old tanks, which Krauss-Maffei will buy back for 400,000 euros ($532,300, CAN$545,280) each and then modernise.

"But that would have meant so much red tape, since the Canadians are fighting in Afghanistan, meaning that the sale would not have been approved," the paper cited an unnamed army insider as saying.

This created consternation among some partners in the NATO military alliance, although "as luck would have it" Canada decided it was no longer interested, the daily added ....
expatica.com, 12 Dec 11

More in the original report here (in German) and here (in Google English)

I wonder how much Kraus-Maffei is charging us for them, seeing as how the Austrians don't want to be seen dealing with us nasty tank-using Canucks.  :)

In case you're interested in more detail on the sub-cal request for proposals ....
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/104771/post-1120197.html#msg1120197
.... attached find an excerpt from the bid document with a bit of an overview of what's needed.

milnews.ca said:
In case you're interested in more detail on the sub-cal request for proposals ....
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/104771/post-1120197.html#msg1120197
.... attached find an excerpt from the bid document with a bit of an overview of what's needed.

Let's reinvent the wheel yet again.        ::)

You'd think by now we'd just buy the exact same system the Germans and Dutchies have been using.....

Nerf herder said:
Let's reinvent the wheel yet again.        ::)

You'd think by now we'd just buy the exact same system the Germans and Dutchies have been using.....
You crazy, sense-making kinda guy......

::)

He's stamped the photos already. Seriously, if you don't want them out there - don't put them out there.

Regards

Another photo for the gang, all my photos are approved by PAO office, as well as the completed books that I am working on and have finished:

Bump with engine work contract award....
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Member of Parliament for Lévis-Bellechasse, on behalf of the Honourable Minister Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced that the Government of Canada awarded a significant support contract for the maintenance of the Canadian Army’s Leopard 2 family of vehicles.

Wajax Power Systems of Québec City, Quebec, has been awarded a contract valued at $10.16 million for the repair and overhaul of engines for the Leopard 2 family of vehicles over three years, which will sustain approximately 10 jobs in the region. The contract includes two one-year extension options, which could bring the total contract value to $22.09 million ....
DND Info-machine, 30 Nov 12

Wanted:  "updated commander's periscope, thermal imager for the gunner's sight and a tactical navigation system" .....
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for Upgrades to the Leopard 2 A4M CAN Main Battle Tanks. The upgrade work will include the supply and integration of an updated commander's periscope, thermal imager for the gunner's sight and a tactical navigation system.

To complete this requirement, the supplier must possess the required intellectual property rights to the Leopard 2 A4M Canadian MBTs and shall be capable of maintaining and adjusting the corresponding original drawing set.

Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG (KMW) owns the intellectual property data related to the Leopard 2 A4M CAN MBTs, as well as its associated software and Engineering Drawings. KMW, as the System Integrator, is the only company capable of performing the work as they have the technical expertise and own the Intellectual Property data of the central logic/main distribution and commander's system control unit required to fully integrate all of the upgraded subsystems of this requirement into the Leopard 2 A4M CAN MBTs.

(....)

The estimated value of the proposed contract is $40,000,000.00 CDN (including GST/HST).

(....)

So.........it's a sole source 40M contract.....

Is this to bring the Comd's sight up to the same as our A6s?

GAP said:
So.........it's a sole source 40M contract.....
Technically, an ACAN is not sole-source.  It gives industry the opportunity to say "he is not the only guy who can do that" and then we would have to go back to competition.

Back