• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you identify ??

Lil_T

Inactive
Reaction score
This is a photo of my great grandfather Joe LaTulippe - from WW1.  Can't identify the cap/ collar badges.  Was wondering if anyone could identify what unit he'd have been with.  Photo was taken in/ around Chatham NB.  Possibility he was with the RCR, but not entirely sure.

Daddy+Joe.jpg

any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You could search at
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

and order his service records

found 4 Joseph LaTulippes in the database.

Only 2 of them have online images of the attestation papers
one with a birthdate of may 13th 1894 born at St. Cecile, Megantic and one with a birthdate of April 3 1895 born St. Victor de Triang, Beauce

I'll leave it to you to figure out which one (if either) is your great grandfather; otherwise I'm presuming it would have to be one of the two others.
Regimental service would be in the complete record

Best of Luck

EDIT: Missed a 5th one

Joseph Prudent LaTullipe born Cap Sante, Portneuf; march 2nd, 1897.

Lil_T,

Can you provide a high resolution scan of the cap, collar and shoulder badges.

Thanks

Mike

the photo is all I have and it's only 2x4.  I'll try to magnify it in my scanner as best I can.  for now I'm just trying to match shapes.. which is difficult since there seems to be a LOT of different cap badges with the same shape (maple leaf) 

and thanks AJF - I really appreciate it.  I may have to go down to the archives at some point and poke around for myself.  too bad they don't have photos in the file.

The easiest way to find out information on your great grandfathers service record during WW1 is to go to the archives web site http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html click on search and look for his war record. I had my great grandfathers war record sent to me. It cost like 10 cents a page for the photo copies. It is worth it you get everything from his enlistment papers, medical history, discharge papers and lots more.
Hopefully you can find what you are looking for there.
Cdnbiker

Also this is the search results that I got for you great grandfathers name http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=6v69nui9isf9rj56hgueg3e6c4&q1=LaTulippe+&q2=joseph&q3=&interval=20

yeah - if need be- I can go downtown to the Archives and look up both him and my grandfather.  It just sucks that I don't have more to go on - or family that could relay the info to me.

Well, after a LOT of digging (and many googly-eyed nights) later, I've found out what the cap and collar badges were.  They're the General Service Badge for the RCR (not sure what number yet) from WWI.  So there's that piece of the puzzle - now I still have to work on the shoulder badges and the rest of his history. 

The RCR wore two variants of their 8-pointed-star badge during the First World War.

(1994 pattern badge in use 1894-1927)
(George V cypher badge, official issue but not willingly adopted by the Regiment, in use 1911-1919)

There were many maple-leaf shaped badges in use by a variety of other battalions in the First World War, but not The RCR. (CEF badges at Arctic Medals.)

If he is wearing the general service maple leaf badge, it doesn't mean service with The RCR.

Have you ordered his service record from Library and Archives Canada?

Mike,  I've been checking out your site. 

I can only go by what I have (a mitt full of brass VRI buttons and old faded pay slips that were in a box at my mom's house), I know these to be my grand dad's as my dad was in the CB Highlanders in WW2 so they couldn't have been his and they are the only 2 members of my family with any military service.  I just wish I had taken them when I moved out or at the very least could better remember what all those slips had said.

From the research I did, it seems I misspoke... had to go back over my notes.  The General Service badge predated WW1, (to the Boer War I believe) though he did serve in WW1.  So perhaps that was the source of confusion on my part.  I wish that I had more information to provide (like a better picture, or his cap badges and medals), unfortunately, when my mom died back in Jan 06 my older brothers threw out everything they didn't deem important (buggers have no sense of value of anything).  Like I said, I have been reading your site - pretty interesting stuff, I'll continue to check back on there as well.

While he may have served overseas with The RCR, that doesn't mean the photo dates from that period. Many soldiers had pre-War service in the Militia, or joined units of the CEF as they were raised and moved through various Reserve units until they reached their front line combat unit.  The photo could be showing the badges of any unit he belonged to between enlisting and getting to the front.  Only the details in his service record can confirm all of the units he served with.

The uniform certainly looks like a First World War Canadian issue tunic and cap. That would eliminate the maple leaf badge worn by the RCR in the South African War (which was larger than that shown in the photo anyway).  I suspect its either a general service leaf badge of the WWI period or the badge of whichever battalion of the CEF he first enlisted with.

ah yes...

and I'm back to the one step forward two steps back....

thank you for the information.

I believe the 132nd (North Shore) Battalion was organized at Chatham, NB.  Might be a clue.  It was absorbed into the 13th Reserve Battalion and troops would have been sent mostly to the 26th or 44th Battalions or possibly anywhere else replacements were needed.  I assume he spoke French so the 22nd Battalion is possible.

In my experience, every soldiers had a photo taken in his first unit and none taken thereafter.  There would probably be some exceptions.

More - the series of regimental numbers assigned to the 132nd was 793,001 to 796,000.  There was a Joseph Latulip with the number 794,092.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=6v69nui9isf9rj56hgueg3e6c4&q1=latulip&q2=joseph&q3=&interval=20

There is a good chance that this is our boy.  The page seems to have 2 separate people under the same name, at least different birthdates.  Was he discharged as medically unfit and later conscripted?  Sounds like my army.

and I do believe you may have hit the nail on the head.  All the information looks correct as far as I can tell.  Just have to figure out which birthday is correct - since none of my aunts or uncles are still alive to give me the info.

Lil_T said:
and I do believe you may have hit the nail on the head.  All the information looks correct as far as I can tell.  Just have to figure out which birthday is correct - since none of my aunts or uncles are still alive to give me the info.

One birthday is written in later and is partial.  It might be the wrong one.  As he was conscripted in July 1918, he couldn't have spent much, if any, time at the front and we don't know in which unit he eventually served.  His complete service file would probably have that.  Volunteered, medically discharged, and then conscripted is really odd.

Dennis Ruhl said:
One birthday is written in later and is partial.  It might be the wrong one.  As he was conscripted in July 1918, he couldn't have spent much, if any, time at the front and we don't know in which unit he eventually served.  His complete service file would probably have that.  Volunteered, medically discharged, and then conscripted is really odd.

It does sound really odd.  Not overly surprised though, if they were hard up for people I can see how they may have gone back and if the medical discharge reason wasn't 'that' serious, conscripted him back into service.  Or he was released to recover from injury/illness and brought back into the fold.  Not saying that's how it worked, just throwing out theory.

As for the birthday thing well... I've got nothing there.  have to do some more digging.

Lil_T said:

Aug 9, 1895.  This is from the 1901 census.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=6963&highlight=19&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Joseph+LeTulipe

1911 census

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=21445&highlight=50&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Joseph+LaTulip

Note spelling differences - the norm for family history research.

pretty sure that is him!  I remember my mom talking about her aunt Eugenie (spelled Uginie in the census)

very cool thank you :)

Back