• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I sign up as an infantry when I live in Toronto?

Doopscoop

Inactive
Reaction score
I want to join the infantry as a reservist but the problem is that I live in Toronto and currently a high school student and I’m worried that there might be travel restrictions. Is this true or false?  Is there always a military Infantry faucility everywhere or just at a specific location? Will there be travel accommodations?

There are a bunch of reserve Infantry regiments in the GTA.  They fall under 32 Canadian Brigade Group. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32_Canadian_Brigade_Group#Regiments

Doopscoop said:
I want to join the infantry as a reservist but the problem is that I live in Toronto and currently a high school student and I’m worried that there might be travel restrictions. Is this true or false?  Is there always a military Infantry faucility everywhere or just at a specific location? Will there be travel accommodations?

The recruiting process takes a long time, I wouldn't worry about the travel restrictions.

That being said, you should still talk to a recruiter in person when you can.  When you do, don't let them push you into a trade you don't want; it's your life.  Infantry is usually in high demand so it's unlikely they would try and steer you someplace else.

If your heart is set on infantry and you don't need to talk to a recruiter, the first thing you should do is apply online.  After you do you'll be contacted via email and phone by a recruiter for more paper work and they will let you know when your CFAT is. Once that is done you will wait again until your file manager calls you (could be weeks).  If your forms and CFAT look good they will email you with your interview/medical date which can be another month of waiting.

There are infantry regiments all over the country.  If you are joining the reserves there will be one very close to you (Toronto).  I'm not sure if you have travel accommodations in the reserves but I doubt it.  Personally, I would recommend joining the reg force (full-time).  The guys that I have met that started as reservists usually said the army was far more interesting and rewarding than civilian life and pursued combat arms as a career.  That being said, the army isn't for everyone and you can't know until you try.

Check out the link Dimsum posted, you should find what you need there.

Not sure where in the city you are, but there are a couple options near Queen St E/Jarvis, and another option down off Lakeshore Blvd. Lots of high school/university students made it work, at least back when I was kicking around those parts. Can't imagine it's much different these days.

Dimsum said:
There are a bunch of reserve Infantry regiments in the GTA.  They fall under 32 Canadian Brigade Group. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32_Canadian_Brigade_Group#Regiments

Oh
So if I’m in the reserve unit I will just be placed at my nearest armoury to do basic training and all that stuff? But what about field training? I’m guessing we get picked up at a bus to go some muddy field to do some firearm training am I correct? It’s always best for me to know whats going on before I screw up and get myself lost.

Doopscoop said:
Oh
So if I’m in the reserve unit I will just be placed at my nearest armoury to do basic training and all that stuff? But what about field training? I’m guessing we get picked up at a bus to go some muddy field to do some firearm training am I correct? It’s always best for me to know whats going on before I screw up and get myself lost.

If you joined the reserves in Toronto, yes you would join a local unit and do most of your training locally. This would probably include the first part of your training, the 'Basic Military Qualification'. It's often run part time on weekend- that's how I did mine in high school. You would probably be looking at finishing basic training and being qualified as an infantry soldier next summer with a couple months of full time training. For Toronto units that's almost definitely going to happen in Meaford, Ontairo.

In the reserves, about one weekend a month you'll out out to do training in the field somewhere. I'm not sure where Toronto units normally go, though Borden ON, Meaford, ON, and potentially some places just across the border in the US are possibilities. There's also an evening a week of training at your unit's armoury, which would be somewhere int he gTA depending on who you join.

The reserves offer full time summer employment from the start of May to the end of August each summer for your first four years of service. If you want to do this (you don't have to, other than getting your basic training done) you could potentially be tasked anywhere in the country. Food and lodging for those months would be paid for. It's a pretty decent deal, especially if you're going to school during the year.

That's an extremely basic and brief explanation of what you'd be looking at for the first couple years. There's a lot of great info on this site.

I did 15 years in the reserves (infantry), and I have no regrets. It helped me get to a pretty good place in life and I got some cool training and operational experience out of it. Good luck!

Doopscoop said:
Oh

There are four Infantry Regiments in the actual city of Toronto, each of them only have one location in the city itself. There is the Queen's Own Rifles and 48th Highlanders at Moss Part, the Royal Regiment of Canada at Fort York, and the Toronto Scottish have a location in Etobicoke (they also have an armoury in Mississauga).  Realisticly most people will join the unit closest to them. 

Doopscoop said:

Do it.

I went from super shitty grades to honour role after doing my infantry course.

Back