• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Pension managed by PWGSC

devil39

Reaction score
So....having very recently retired with almost 33 years service (31.3 Reg Fc), and having had many dealings with PWGSC, the thought of PWGSC managing CAF pensions filled me with a certain amount of unease.  I had been told  PWGSC were aiming for first pension payment 30-45 days after release date.

This is a statistic of one......however, I have just received my first pension payment in 17 days after my release date. 

Paperwork faxed 20 Sep. Final day in the CA was 25 Sep.  Paperwork mailed 11 Oct.  Pension payment for Sep 26-30 received 12 Oct.  October pension payment promised to be in the bank end Oct.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the speed of processing by PWGSC.  I was very hands on, confirming receipt of documents and the way ahead, at every stage.  But still far more than I expected. 

If the bastards were only that efficient in seeing procurement buys successfully processed.

jollyjacktar said:
If the bastards were only that efficient in seeing procurement buys successfully processed.

Tell me about it!  Now that my pension is processed they can pull some people back into the procurement stream.

Well done, devil!

I just mailed my pension paperwork yesterday, however my last day in the Reg F is not until 06 Nov.

So far my dealings with the pension centre have been mixed. The first phone call that I made in Sept to request my pension package netted me a pension estimate.  :facepalm:

The second phone call netted me a very apologetic agent who immediately emailed me the pension package.

I will report back with final results!

There a single back office now for the public service, CAF and RCMP pensions.  The CAF pension team that deals with clients was retained, so that the expertise was not lost.

If you're still serving, you can now (through the DWAN only) get online up-to-date pension information, and even play "What if" games, looking at pension values in the future and such.  There was a CANFORGEN in the middle of the summer about it, including the link to the website.

Missed that message, but then, we're all mushrooms here.

devil39 said:
Tell me about it!  Now that my pension is processed they can pull some people back into the procurement stream.

Your story is the smoothest one I've ever heard of,  gives me hope for when my time comes.

jollyjacktar said:
Missed that message, but then, we're all mushrooms here.

Start here: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/accueil-home-eng.html

As I said, DWAN is required to look at your pension information, and you also require a PKI card to confirm your identity.

dapaterson said:
Start here: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/accueil-home-eng.html

As I said, DWAN is required to look at your pension information, and you also require a PKI card to confirm your identity.

That is a great link and you can run a whole bunch of scenarios based off of your years of service, and projected years of service, very very easily.  They pull up info off of your svc # and the computers do the rest. 

> a whole bunch of scenarios...

This scenario may be of interest,

Q: "Does the survivor pension cease if I re-marry or start a new common-law relationship?"

A: "No. The survivor pension is payable for life and is not affected."

That's the same as the pension plan I am a member of.
Funny story at the retirement seminar in early 2009. The Rep. said he knew of one widow receiving SIX* Survivor pensions from our plan!
Apparently, she was "hot stuff" with an affinity for old coppers and May-December marriages!  :)

* I know that's a lot, but I asked my wife who was there with me. She says she heard the same thing, but was not sure of the number the Rep. mentioned, although it was multiple marriages by the same widow.

devil39 said:
So....having very recently retired with almost 33 years service (31.3 Reg Fc), and having had many dealings with PWGSC, the thought of PWGSC managing CAF pensions filled me with a certain amount of unease.  I had been told  PWGSC were aiming for first pension payment 30-45 days after release date.

This is a statistic of one......however, I have just received my first pension payment in 17 days after my release date. 

Paperwork faxed 20 Sep. Final day in the CA was 25 Sep.  Paperwork mailed 11 Oct.  Pension payment for Sep 26-30 received 12 Oct.  October pension payment promised to be in the bank end Oct.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the speed of processing by PWGSC.  I was very hands on, confirming receipt of documents and the way ahead, at every stage.  But still far more than I expected.

Devil39- I got you beat. First pension cheque, direct deposit, 16 days post release from the Reg Force.

Credit where credit is due- PWGSC (or whatever they are called this week) is knocking it out of the park so far, on my pension services!

SeaKingTacco said:
Devil39- I got you beat. First pension cheque, direct deposit, 16 days post release from the Reg Force.

Credit where credit is due- PWGSC (or whatever they are called this week) is knocking it out of the park so far, on my pension services!

Concur, I was in the retirement window during the switch from DND to PW. DND was an unfeeling self licking monster, once PW took over the call centre part for DND the service involved.  Once they took over the remainder, 10 months of no pension cheques ended and everything was fixed.  I could almost watch PW take over parts of the system as I received remedies within a week of transfer of the various benefits. 

This is great news!  The biggest stressor, for me anyhow, was wondering how many months (6,8,10???) would I be waiting for my pension to start rolling in along with the CAFs nonchalant attitude about those delays.

Reading these recent experiences are a big relief. 

Thanks for sharing.

QV, your mileage may vary, but we are starting to build anecdotal evidence that things are improving on the pension administration front.

Part of that is also the modernization of the pensions toolset / software; it's now a single system that supports the Public Service, RCMP and CAF.  The military pension people were retained, but moved from DND to PSPC.

Does anyone know if the move to PWGSC has changed any aspects of pension eligibility?  My understanding is that it is not possible to transfer from a civilian (i.e. non-government) pension plan to the CAF pension or otherwise buy into the CAF pension.

I'll investigate myself -- just thought someone might have that information top of mind.

Cheers,

Mike5 said:
Does anyone know if the move to PWGSC has changed any aspects of pension eligibility?  My understanding is that it is not possible to transfer from a civilian (i.e. non-government) pension plan to the CAF pension or otherwise buy into the CAF pension.

I'll investigate myself -- just thought someone might have that information top of mind.

Cheers,

Rules are set by the legislation (the CFSA) and its related regulations; moving administration down the street (so to speak) changes nothing in the legislation or regulations.

Released Aug 2016, into a Temp Cl B <180 day contract. PWGSC said I was not entitled to an annuity. Had to speak with four reps, all sang the same tune. And when I means speak to four reps, I mean literally hours on hold and being bounced from person to person. Finally got someone who was familiar with DND policies, and asked what part of the CFSA PWGSC was quoting (in their pamphlet), she opened up a case file for me. Then it was radio silence until my first pension payment came 3 months later. Still no severance, but that ultimately may be a good thing as it falls in the tax year, where the clampdown on Temp Class B is making it hard to find Option 1 contracts.

Sorry to bring up a dead topic.

I elected a transfer value and am attempting to complete the paperwork. The CRA T2151 E form (Direct Transfer of a Single Amount Under Subsection 147(19)) requires I put an RPP Registration Number in, however I have no idea what that number is. I wouldn't imagine it is my individual pension number, is it?

I've looked everywhere on all the paperwork I was given by the Pension Centre and all the weblinks on their site.

I would love to call and ask but it's Friday night and they won't be open till Tuesday. I was kind of hoping this would be done by then.

Back