• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
Prototype said:
... as a member of the Reg Force, isn't volunteering your time with Cadets worth PER points? Am I right? My brother works some brutal shifts and still makes it out on Thursday nights to help out the cadets (mind you, he never was a cadet).
  Only if it gets mentioned on your PER.

DOAD 5002-1, ENROLMENT
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-eng.asp

"
Membership in Cadet Organizations
On the day of enrolment, an applicant may not be a cadet in a cadet organization authorized under section 46 of the National Defence Act.
"

A people can say, if we can finish the cadets year start before the official enrolement ? Because as a staff cadets, its not fun( and its organization after...) for cadets, staff cadets and officiers if we going out cadet because of that during the year ...

Its for that, I would like have the good information( writtens laws...)... If a people find, and can contact me by PM, that can be very appreciate. (In french if its possible, if not I can translate...).

Thanks,

GT

greythunders99 said:
. . . . . I would like have the good information( writtens laws...)...  (In french if its possible, if not I can translate...).

If you had looked at the post immediately preceding yours, you would have seen the "written laws".

Lrrr said:
DOAD 5002-1, ENROLMENT
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-eng.asp

"
On the day of enrolment, an applicant may not be a cadet in a cadet organization authorized under section 46 of the National Defence Act.
"

Ou si vous le préférez en français.

http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-fra.asp
DOAD 5002-1, Enrôlement

. . . . .

Membre d’une organisation de cadets

À compter du jour de son enrôlement, un candidat ne peut plus faire partie d’une organisation de cadets autorisée par l’article 46 de la Loi sur la défense nationale.

Hey guys, im in the army cadets and as many know summer camp is coming up. I am also half way through the process of applying to the reserves. If I get a swearing in date that is right before cadet summer camp do I quit cadets after the swearing in or can I still go to camp and have that as my last cadet day? Normally you have to quit cadets the day you swear in to the forces but just wondering if the rules are different for summer camp. Or if you get a swearing in date right in the middle of summer camp what happens then?

You can not be a member of the Cadets and the CF at the same time. You may be able to negotiate your swearing in date, but that will depend on a number of factors. Some in your control, some out of your control. Ensure your unit's recruiter is aware of your situation and precisely how you want to proceed. You have a little wiggle room in that it's nearly time where Reserve units break for the summer.

If you're joining the military, it's time to leave cadets behind you and move into the big boy world.

StitchJones said:
If I get a swearing in date that is right before cadet summer camp do I quit cadets after the swearing in or can I still go to camp and have that as my last cadet day?

See also,

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/24238.175.html
8 pages.

A cadet and reservist 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4372.0
2 pages.

Thanks guys, I will take your advice! Haha trust me im ready to leave it behind, I just want to go to at least 1 summer camp. But thank you very much for your help!

If going to summer camp wont affect your swearing in for the Reserves I would still go. I had some amazing times when I was at summer camp and learned some great life skills.

While I'm sure you are ready to join up, you are obviously younger than 19 and joining the Reserves after the summer is certainly not going to stunt your career. You only have a couple more years to be a cadet; You have the rest of your life to be a soldier.

StitchJones said:
Thanks guys, I will take your advice! Haha trust me im ready to leave it behind, I just want to go to at least 1 summer camp. But thank you very much for your help!

What has your reserve regiment said about training this summer? Will they be able to load you on your basic courses in the coming months?

ModlrMike said:
You can not be a member of the Cadets and the CF at the same time. You may be able to negotiate your swearing in date, but that will depend on a number of factors. Some in your control, some out of your control. Ensure your unit's recruiter is aware of your situation and precisely how you want to proceed. You have a little wiggle room in that it's nearly time where Reserve units break for the summer.

Yes you can and its been done numerous times. One is a youth organization and completely voluntary, the other we all know what it is. I've seen it done and did it myself ages ago.

The issue that arises is when member gets their priorities mixed up and puts the youth organization ahead of their military obligations.

You can do both, but must realize that the deconfliction of scheduling and what CoC you answer and when must be clearly stated and understood.

The CF is the priority, cadets second; period. If the member can't wrap their head around that, it's better to just put off getting in the reserves until you hit 19 and you have to quit cadets anyways.

Regards

Not that I agree or disgree:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-1.page

3.16 On the day of enrolment, an applicant may not be a cadet in a cadet organization authorized under section 46 of the National Defence Act.

Nerf herder said:
Yes you can and its been done numerous times. One is a youth organization and completely voluntary, the other we all know what it is. I've seen it done and did it myself ages ago.

The issue that arises is when member gets their priorities mixed up and puts the youth organization ahead of their military obligations.

You can do both, but must realize that the deconfliction of scheduling and what CoC you answer and when must be clearly stated and understood.

The CF is the priority, cadets second; period. If the member can't wrap their head around that, it's better to just put off getting in the reserves until you hit 19 and you have to quit cadets anyways.

Regards

The operative word in my statement was member. You can volunteer to support a Cadet Corps as a reservist all you want, but you can not be a member.

The OPs question specifically referenced being enrolled in Cadets, and being enrolled in the reserve at the same time.

ModlrMike said:
The operative word in my statement was member. You can volunteer to support a Cadet Corps as a reservist all you want, but you can not be a member.

The OPs question specifically referenced being enrolled in Cadets, and being enrolled in the reserve at the same time.

And I was speaking to that specific point, as being a member of both at the same time. Guess I wasn't being clear enough.

As rwgill pointed out, I guess the rules have changed since the 80s.

Regards

Back