• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
C

corporal-cam

I‘m in cadets (air not army, because I‘m cool :p ) and I‘m planing to join the reserves but I was told that if I go on an exercise that as a reservist I am just as responsible for the cadets as the officers are even if I‘m a course cadet not staff, is this true?

Pick one or the other, and then you don‘t have that problem.

The cadets can use your leadership if you are in the militia, and you benefit from both. Picking up a credit, and getting paid for your reserve time.

I say stay in both.

Cheers,

Wes

No, you are not responsible for the cadets to my knowledge, as you‘d be on the exercise as a cadet (unless you volunteer at your unit as a reservist...then you are).

However, you are (and someone correct me if I‘m wrong, for I may very well be) bound by military law, so you have to be a little bit more careful with your actions.

CH

At one time I was both cadet and res. for the same hat badge(8CH) and I didn‘t have a problem. When I was at cadets...I was a cadet RSM

When I was at militia...I was Tpr Franko.

You are NOT responsible for the care of the cadets beyond your regular duties.

But 3005 MWO is correct...you are still bound by the Code of Serice Discipline, keep that in mind.

Regards

If what I am reading is correct, you are in both. Which is fine. The only difference would be, that lets say you were a Cadet MWO and a reserve Private, if you refused orders from your officers, they could charge you under the code of service discipline. Which also would mean, that if you were responsible for supervising cadets, both you and your officers will be held responsible if something went wrong and you could have reasonably prevented it.

That said, the same rules apply to a reservist who volunteers his/her time in the same way with a cadet corps. Generally there will be no problem, but if you‘re worried about it at all, stay away.

Just wondering out of curiousity, just what some of the cadets will do when they get the choice

Its because the Reg Force in my understanding isnt available until after your secondary school education...I believe its 18 as opposed to 16 for the reserves.

Burrows said:
Its because the Reg Force in my understanding isnt available until after your secondary school education...I believe its 18 as opposed to 16 for the reserves.

17 for regs.......thats how old i was when i got in

Really? well then...I take that back...Added the RegF shall be...

I thought you could go Reg if you were 16, but had to attened some Junior Level Military College?

Alex252 said:
I thought you could go Reg if you were 16, but had to attened some Junior Level Military College?

It used to be that you could join reg force ROTP if you were 16, you then had to go to prep-year for RMC.............you cannot join as reg force NCM under 17.

I know that they have gone back and forth on this over they years, do you have to be completed secondary school to join the Reg force, or is it trade dependant.

Completing secondary school is not required but very encouraged

I have my application in progress for the Primary Reseves and I will be staying in cadets because my Cadet Corp has invested their time into me so I have the obligation to give it back.

nuttypants said:
Reserves until I'm done highschool, then regs.

That what I was planning on doing as well, but Ive heard that it is much more difficult to transfer from Res. to Reg.

Back