• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C5 respirator (gas mask)

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
fqLAcl8.jpeg

The final testing phase for the C5B respirator occurred at CFB Esquimalt’s Damage Control Training Facility Galiano in Colwood at the end of November. Those leading the phase have declared the C5B respirators a technological breakthrough.

The C5B is the invention of the Canadian technology company AirBoss Defense Group. Mario Champigny, AirBoss Director, says he and a team of 15 have been working on developing the mask since August 2020.

The trial has validated the C5B can be part of BMQs training, but it is still up to the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) to implement the mask in training, said a spokesperson for DRDC.

After clearing the final hurdles, the C5B could be available for BMQ recruits in the late fall of 2024. Bodurtha believes the C5B also has the potential to become a piece of equipment used in combat operations, but this will require further design improvements and testing in the coming months and years ahead.

The key design feature of the C5B respirator, says Dr. Paul Bodurtha of Defence Research Development Canada, is the hood that attaches to a standard C5 gas mask currently used in BMQs across the country.

The C5B gas mask and its protective hood were specially designed for individuals with beards, religious headdresses including turbans, patkas or hijabs, long hair and abnormal facial features that do not fit within an in-service respirator.

Paintball masks for everyone !

I wonder how good it is when it comes to firing your rifle ?

So equipment that is authorized for training but not used in the operational environment???

So equipment that is authorized for training but not used in the operational environment???
Members are no longer required to be clean shaven in basic, so allowing them to train for CBRN while still keeping their beard/headdress makes sense. We need people to know how to don the PPE, and trust that it works. For mission specific training/operations, members can use mission specific kit.

In an operational environment, commanders can order clean shaves and short hair for operational safety.

Members are no longer required to be clean shaven in basic, so allowing them to train for CBRN while still keeping their beard/headdress makes sense. We need people to know how to don the PPE, and trust that it works. For mission specific training/operations, members can use mission specific kit.

In an operational environment, commanders can order clean shaves and short hair for operational safety.
I'm wondering how a gas mask can be completely air-sealed with a beard ?

I'm wondering how a gas mask can be completely air-sealed with a beard ?
It can't that is why in an operational environment when there is a CBRN threat the commander can order everyone to shave. You can get by in peacetime training as the CS particles are bigger than real threat particles. By using vaseline and tugging on the straps you can get while not an air tight seal one that will block some of the CS particles.

I hate this, only because the RCN will ignore all the actual caveats and stipulations about this only being for training for CBRN in BMQ, and try to extrapolate it to fire fighting masks IRL. I can't wait to be bombarded with stupid emails with OQE like "my cousin in Canada totally did this and he was fine".

Never go full RCN folks.

Good job on the design team I guess for recognizing limitations.

Back