• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

So I was chatting with another weapons tech today. Found out the CAF has sourced replacement parts for the C3. A company in the states is now manufacturing barrels for us, and two Canadian companies, one in bc and another in Quebec are manufacturing T&E mechs, trails, cradles etc.... apparently we have enough spares now to maintain the fleet and build 7 new guns. If that is the case we could see a lot of new life into the fleet if we are making new guns.
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but isn't the C3 a bit of a museum piece by now in the sniper world?
Yes but it is probably easier right now to maintain the fleet then replace. If new cradles and barrels are being made, that solves most of our VOR issues
I think Daft forgot this is the C3 Howitzer, not the long non C3 Sniper Rifle.

However I am curious as to the cost of the C3 retrofit -- I am sure that it is the "easy button" (as opposed to new guns of an actually practical design) - but given the design seems to be inherently poor and asking too much out of the existing platform - the same issues will occur in fairly short order.

Why not actually get a new piece of kit and let the C3 fleet rot, as the US 105mm Light gun seems to be a much better option if one wants to stay with 105mm?

I think Daft forgot this is the C3 Howitzer, not the long non C3 Sniper Rifle.

However I am curious as to the cost of the C3 retrofit -- I am sure that it is the "easy button" (as opposed to new guns of an actually practical design) - but given the design seems to be inherently poor and asking too much out of the existing platform - the same issues will occur in fairly short order.

Why not actually get a new piece of kit and let the C3 fleet rot, as the US 105mm Light gun seems to be a much better option if one wants to stay with 105mm?

Yes, you're right. I was trying to be a smart ass when I remembered that we don't have the C3 (rifle) in stock anymore :)

There is no project on the books for a 105 mm replacement. The LG-1 and C3 remain on the books as "in service" equipment. There is no operational need for a 105 mm replacement so it won't come on a fast track by UOR. If a project was initiated then it wouldn't be a fast project either.

If I were king, I'd initiate a project for a 155 mm armoured SP (wheeled or tracked - for a total of 36 guns plus spares and - if we were smart - another 18 for Res F trg and operational prepositioning) to replace all the M777 with medium and heavy brigades and relegate the M777 to a light brigade. We have enough M777s for five batteries plus spares (so 1 regt complete plus two additional batteries - for trg Res F or operational positioning.)

But that's just me.

🍻

There is no project on the books for a 105 mm replacement. The LG-1 and C3 remain on the books as "in service" equipment. There is no operational need for a 105 mm replacement so it won't come on a fast track by UOR. If a project was initiated then it wouldn't be a fast project either.

If I were king, I'd initiate a project for a 155 mm armoured SP (wheeled or tracked - for a total of 36 guns plus spares and - if we were smart - another 18 for Res F trg and operational prepositioning) to replace all the M777 with medium and heavy brigades and relegate the M777 to a light brigade. We have enough M777s for five batteries plus spares (so 1 regt complete plus two additional batteries - for trg Res F or operational positioning.)

But that's just me.

🍻
IIRC the C3 Sniper rifle was turned into the C3A1 by retaining the scope mount screws and something else -- the receivers where not even the same...

The USN got the Super Hornet the same way - as the canopy something was the same as the Hornet.

I'm sure someone could have been creative enough to get the US M119A3 into the system as a C3 by retaining something (even in theory) and I suspect it would be a much better option - and cheaper.

I'm not enamored with the 105mm, but the C3's really should just be taken out and dumped in an impact area for target usage.
The "Good Idea Fairy" on that project needs to be taken out back and shot.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army is now using the Chinese 105mm SP.

How many generations of equipment will pass before the Army replaces the 105? I suspect someone may be cleverly waiting for portable railgun technology or plasma ignition or some other futuristic technology, but none of these things seem to have any potential for adoption anytime soon.

Attachments

• Nigerian army SP.jpg
    Nigerian army SP.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9
Meanwhile India......

Based on some design and metallurgy issues I have seen on other internal to India programs - I'm not sure I'd be interested at all.
The ban on foreign imports are so no one utterly wrecks the domestic creations in a trial...

Trying to solicit bribes while being absolutely infuriating to work with...
Don't worry they are busy trying to reverse engineer the C5 GMPG currently (I am actually not kidding).

The Office No GIF

A buddy of my is working on several programs for them and I was brought in to consult - and just about lost my mind when shown some of the drawings - at first I thought it was a joke - sadly I realized it wasn't.

I tried to explain that isn't really a GPMG - it's a Medium MG that was used as a GPMG until nations could get an actual GPMG.

A buddy of my is working on several programs for them and I was brought in to consult - and just about lost my mind when shown some of the drawings - at first I thought it was a joke - sadly I realized it wasn't.

I tried to explain that isn't really a GPMG - it's a Medium MG that was used as a GPMG until nations could get an actual GPMG.

That reminds me of the time when I worked alongside the US Marines trails people in Norway.

They loved our tent sheets. We considered them a pretty uselss relic from WW2 and were trying to get rid of them on favour of 4 man tunnel tents. I begged them not to do it....

Next winter they turned up with brad new tent sheets.

Sigh...

I know it's air defence but I for one think that, in part, a number of C3s in the Reserves should be replaced by air defence. So in keeping with that, the latest from the new US M-SHORAD in Europe:

🍻

Update on one trial in the US Army's Mobile Howitzer System shoot-off search for howitzers to replace the M777 in SBCTs.

🍻
I am always surprised why a M109 turret was never adapted for use on a HEMTT - sure it would need a riser block on the rear to make room for crew - but it would have to be an easier more complete way to field a system that has significant commonality.

Back