• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Some pointers on battle group ops

🍻

Clearly a Crap Hat destined for high command with a comment like this one:

"My challenge to the company commanders I led was to never lose more than a section (eight soldiers) in any fires contact."

More proof that the 'Black Mafia' hasn't changed much ;)

Clearly a Crap Hat destined for high command with a comment like this one:

"My challenge to the company commanders I led was to never lose more than a section (eight soldiers) in any fires contact."

More proof that the 'Black Mafia' hasn't changed much ;)

What's the "Black Mafia" ?

On the balcony...

Death of Mel Parry - one of the SAS troops who famously stormed Iranian embassy to end six-day siege​

Mr Parry was among those involved in one of the SAS's most famous operations and was remembered as a "gentleman and an incredible soldier".

HMS Westminster will not be refit

On side note, interesting comments about the frigates are taking so long in Lifex over and above the ship designed to 20 year life being pushed to 30+ (sound familiar) Is the class society has changed and the standards are all so much higher. That the ships coming out if and when they come out are very different than the standard when built.

Is the death of the west...going to come about by the yellow vest brigade? :) and the regulation Karens?

HMS Westminster will not be refit

On side note, interesting comments about the frigates are taking so long in Lifex over and above the ship designed to 20 year life being pushed to 30+ (sound familiar) Is the class society has changed and the standards are all so much higher. That the ships coming out if and when they come out are very different than the standard when built.

Is the death of the west...going to come about by the yellow vest brigade? :) and the regulation Karens?
Wooden ships of the line in the 1700s used to last longer.

:D

The cuts continue...

Sunak: I will not second guess military chiefs on Army cuts

The Prime Minister was asked about plans to cut the size of the regular Army to around 73,000 soldiers.

Rishi Sunak has said he will not “second guess” military commanders on planned British Army cuts.

The Prime Minister declined to say what size he thought the Army should be when asked about the plans at the London Defence Conference on Tuesday, and said it was up to senior officers to decide what they spent the defence budget on.

But Labour’s shadow defence secretary John Healey told the same conference it was “perverse” to cut troop numbers at a time of rising insecurity and blamed Ben Wallace, the Defence Secretary, for failing to secure enough funding for more troops.

I can only recall one weapon that went missing. A 9mm SMG when a guy went AWOL in 1977.

He also took a jeep.
:ROFLMAO:

Coincidences.

If we're talking about the same incident, and I think we are, then there were three of them from 2 PPCLI in Winnipeg who stole a 3/4 ton truck while on exercise in Dundurn, returned to Winnipeg, cleaned out their barracks and, as they left through the main gate, ran out of gas. Two of them gave up right then and there while the third guy ran. He was the one with the SMG and was arrested at gunpoint by the RCMP on a westbound Greyhound bus.

I was one of the members on one of their courts martial which is what got me interested in the JAG. If I recall correctly they got somewhere in the 18 month range.

🍻

I can only recall one weapon that went missing. A 9mm SMG when a guy went AWOL in 1977.

He also took a jeep.

Its not as uncommon as we would like. More often than not though its a material accounting error vice and actual missing weapon.

But I have written off missing SAs before.

Its not as uncommon as we would like. More often than not though its a material accounting error vice and actual missing weapon.

But I have written off missing SAs before.
When I became QM for our unit we had a extra howitzer on charge. I suspect most missing weapons are admin screwups of weapons that are sent off to be repaired or disposed and the paperwork not properly done.

I
:ROFLMAO:

Coincidences.

If we're talking about the same incident, and I think we are, then there were three of them from 2 PPCLI in Winnipeg who stole a 3/4 ton truck while on exercise in Dundurn, returned to Winnipeg, cleaned out their barracks and, as they left through the main gate, ran out of gas. Two of them gave up right then and there while the third guy ran. He was the one with the SMG and was arrested at gunpoint by the RCMP on a westbound Greyhound bus.

I was one of the members on one of their courts martial which is what got me interested in the JAG. If I recall correctly they got somewhere in the 18 month range.

🍻
I remember hearing about that . Not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.
Didn't somebody loose a C5 GPMG somewhere in Shilo, the year before?

Or a reserve infantry officer taking part in an AAR after a weekend ex, climbing on the bus, going home... and his unit CO getting a quick note from another unit CO "Your rifle, serial #1234, is in my vault", with the Bde HQ cc'd.

Or the Reserve unit Tpt NCO who's FN I found in a public picnic ground while on exercise near Lake Cowichan one winter and decided would be better than my SMG for a bit where nothing happened, however a breach block went "missing" from someone else's weapon that actually didn't but resulted in said person getting charged when it really was a Supply Tech that was inumerate, all on the same exercise.

Or the Reserve unit Tpt NCO who's FN I found in a public picnic ground while on exercise near Lake Cowichan one winter and decided would be better than my SMG for a bit where nothing happened, however a breach block went "missing" from someone else's weapon that actually didn't but resulted in said person getting charged when it really was a Supply Tech that was inumerate, all on the same exercise.

I recall, in the British Army, the unit used to publish a list of 'Prevalent Offences' along with Part 1 Orders.

In it was contained a litany of horrors, much like you have described, ostensibly as a dire warning to others.

It didn't stop subsequent bollocks from being dropped, of course, but they made for good reading. I recall hearty guffaws echoing down the hallways when the tales of fresh crimes came out each month.

Someone should write a book.... ;)

Back