• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

I can think of a few CAF groups with similar problems, who mistake training for selection, and substitute their opinions for standards.

I can think of a few CAF groups with similar problems, who mistake training for selection, and substitute their opinions for standards.

This is illuminating. From a SNCO of course :)

Why are non-commissioned personnel so dominant in the SAS? Other ranks can stay for life, officers are limited to two 3-year tours, and almost all senior staff started without commission. Why is it like this?

The questioner asked in the details:

• Other ranks can stay for life, officers are limited to two 3 year tours
  • Almost all senior staff started without commission
  • Training almost entirely controlled by NCOs
  • Officers mockingly called ‘Ruperts’
  • Former soldier: ‘The NCOs are the SAS’.
Why is it like this?

…Because that’s the way the British Army works.

Meanwhile, top secret SAS recruiting program published in The Sun :)

SHE WHO DARES WINS

SAS on hunt for female soldiers to join top-secret operations​

THE SAS is on the hunt for female soldiers to join the unit on top-secret operations against Russian and Chinese agents.
Commanders have launched a covert programme, code-named Project Artemis, to boost the number of women entering the Special Forces.

It is part of a major shake-up of the Special Forces units.

The SAS, SBS and Special Reconnaissance Regiment, are being revamped to fight data-age wars in an era of “great power competition”.
Outstanding female soldiers will be offered nine months of one-on-one mentoring.

A Special Forces commander said: “The threat has changed. It’s not just about kicking doors. The battlefield is more transparent. Places are much harder to get to.

“We need a really diverse range of skills and we need female operators just as we need males.”

:)

paras-2-jpg.1235996

You 'orrible little men.....

When 1000 British Veterans leave a field after 3 weeks of festivals.​

After Gunnerfest 2021, All Arms Fest 2021 and Sapperfest 2021 this is the state in which we left the farmer's field.

This is, according to UK Forces social media, the British Platinum Jubilee (1952-2022) medal:

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 07.45.10.png

This is, according to UK Forces social media, the British Platinum Jubilee (1952-2022) medal:

View attachment 66687
What I like is the criteria for the medal:

Those who will receive the medal for Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee are:

• Serving members of the Armed Forces that have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Frontline emergency services personnel that have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, dealing with emergencies as part of their conditions of service, and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Prison services personnel who are publicly employed and are regularly exposed to difficult and sometimes emergency situations that have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Members of the Royal Household with one year of qualifying service.
  • Living individual recipients of the George Cross.
  • Living individual recipients of the Victoria Cross

Makes more sense than the convoluted criteria we had for the Diamond Jubilee medal.

What I like is the criteria for the medal:

Those who will receive the medal for Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee are:

• Serving members of the Armed Forces that have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Frontline emergency services personnel that have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, dealing with emergencies as part of their conditions of service, and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Prison services personnel who are publicly employed and are regularly exposed to difficult and sometimes emergency situations that have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022.
  • Members of the Royal Household with one year of qualifying service.
  • Living individual recipients of the George Cross.
  • Living individual recipients of the Victoria Cross

Makes more sense than the convoluted criteria we had for the Diamond Jubilee medal.
We made a sad, but understandable error in 1967 when the Centennial Medal was issued. Essentially, as with Royal Jubilees, they (whoever "they" might be) tried to attach some meaning to an otherwise meaningless accident of history. The British are doing it right. The Yanks do it even better. An American friend pointed out one of his (dozens) of ribbons and said, "And this is the medal for showing up. I have no idea," he continued, "what it might be for but it was awarded before I even finished basic training. I can only conclude it was fort not moving to Canada in 1968." This sort if "bling" ought to be distributed very, very widely ~ I find even five years a bit discriminatory: there ought to be a whole row of "medals for showing up."

But, back, 60ish years ago almost no one foresaw a whole hockey-sock full of jubilees (almost no one, circa 1970 one Deputy Surgeon General pointed out that HM was born into privilege and lives a moderate but active and healthy live and, he explained, medical science was improving by leaps and bounds. HM, he said, was likely to live to be 100 because she followed the good medical advice that all of his friends ignored) and anniversaries like Canada 125 and so we worked harder and harder to to attach some meaning to totally meaningless events.can125.jpeg

We made a sad, but understandable error in 1967 when the Centennial Medal was issued. Essentially, as with Royal Jubilees, they (whoever "they" might be) tried to attach some meaning to an otherwise meaningless accident of history. The British are doing it right. The Yanks do it even better. An American friend pointed out one of his (dozens) of ribbons and said, "And this is the medal for showing up. I have no idea," he continued, "what it might be for but it was awarded before I even finished basic training. I can only conclude it was fort not moving to Canada in 1968." This sort if "bling" ought to be distributed very, very widely ~ I find even five years a bit discriminatory: there ought to be a whole row of "medals for showing up."

But, back, 60ish years ago almost no one foresaw a whole hockey-sock full of jubilees (almost no one, circa 1970 one Deputy Surgeon General pointed out that HM was born into privilege and lives a moderate but active and healthy live and, he explained, medical science was improving by leaps and bounds. HM, he said, was likely to live to be 100 because she followed the good medical advice that all of his friends ignored) and anniversaries like Canada 125 and so we worked harder and harder to to attach some meaning to totally meaningless events.View attachment 66688

I recall the 125 medal being referred to, by one particularly astute observer, as the 'Political Acumen' medal :)

I recall the 125 medal being referred to, by one particularly astute observer, as the 'Political Acumen' medal :)

I refer to it as the "buck and a quarter" medal - an adequate description of its value.

And as a comparative value in Canadian importance
Coffee (Original Blend, Dark Roast or Decaf) Small $1.59

How about retired folks who spent 44 years of service with the Queen as their Captain-General?

😁

How about retired folks who spent 44 years of service with the Queen as their Captain-General?

😁

Some 17,000 had a similar idea.

HM's Government response . . . we respect you, but get stuffed.

Some 17,000 had a similar idea.

HM's Government response . . . we respect you, but get stuffed.

That's about par for the course: - Yeah, but ... what have you done for us lately?

:(

That's about par for the course: - Yeah, but ... what have you done for us lately?

:(

They told the Cold War Veterans to get stuffed as well, of course.

I'm sure it's a cost savings effort. If they approved such a medal (equivalent to the CAF's SSM) they'd have to dish out millions of the friggin' things :)

Following the refusal of the Government Medal Review team, to fully review the British Cold War Veterans formal submission for a Cold War medal, especially considering that politicians were the recipients of honours and awards exchanged between various countries and alliances for their service and leadership during this period, and promises of a full and comprehensive review, we made a freedom of information request to the Cabinet Office for copies of minutes of meetings to determine who was responsible for making the decision not to review our submission, and the reasons why?

Good luck Dennis....

Trial of Army veteran Dennis Hutchings over Troubles death to begin​

The trial of an Army veteran on charges related to a fatal shooting during the Northern Ireland Troubles is set to begin.

Dennis Hutchings, 80, a former member of the Life Guards regiment, has pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of John Pat Cunningham in Co Tyrone in 1974. He also denies a count of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.

Mr Cunningham, a 27-year-old man with learning difficulties, was shot dead as he ran away from an Army patrol near Benburb.

Hutchings, from Cawsand in Cornwall, is a high profile campaigner against the prosecution of military veterans who served in Northern Ireland during the conflict.

The pensioner is suffering from kidney disease and the trial at Belfast Crown Court will only sit three days a week to enable him to undergo dialysis treatment between hearings.

In 2019, Hutchings lost a Supreme Court bid to have the trial heard by a jury.

The non-jury trial in Belfast will be presided over by Mr Justice O’Hara.

It had originally been scheduled to commence in March 2020 but was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The trial is taking place amid ongoing political controversy over UK Government plans to end any future prosecutions related to the Troubles.

Good luck Dennis....

Trial of Army veteran Dennis Hutchings over Troubles death to begin​

The trial of an Army veteran on charges related to a fatal shooting during the Northern Ireland Troubles is set to begin.

Dennis Hutchings, 80, a former member of the Life Guards regiment, has pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of John Pat Cunningham in Co Tyrone in 1974. He also denies a count of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.

Mr Cunningham, a 27-year-old man with learning difficulties, was shot dead as he ran away from an Army patrol near Benburb.

Hutchings, from Cawsand in Cornwall, is a high profile campaigner against the prosecution of military veterans who served in Northern Ireland during the conflict.

The pensioner is suffering from kidney disease and the trial at Belfast Crown Court will only sit three days a week to enable him to undergo dialysis treatment between hearings.

In 2019, Hutchings lost a Supreme Court bid to have the trial heard by a jury.

The non-jury trial in Belfast will be presided over by Mr Justice O’Hara.

It had originally been scheduled to commence in March 2020 but was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The trial is taking place amid ongoing political controversy over UK Government plans to end any future prosecutions related to the Troubles.

I thought part of the Peace Deal was that bygones where to be left bygones?

An ass tonne of IRA folks got released for their crimes - seems criminal to try an 80yr old man for something that happened 47 years ago - given the amnesty's given to others...

I thought part of the Peace Deal was that bygones where to be left bygones?

An ass tonne of IRA folks got released for their crimes - seems criminal to try an 80yr old man for something that happened 47 years ago - given the amnesty's given to others...
What is the point of this witch hunt, anyway? What can it accomplish that will ultimately benefit the UK?

Most of folks involved on both sides are senior citizens or passed away by now…

Back