• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bridges & Equipment of an Engineering Regiment

I came across this video about the assembly of a Bailey Bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6EqszC0gg

Larkvall said:

:boring:

I dont understand the relation between the video and the thread title.

Larkvall said:

Also IIRC no Engineer unit in Canada has Bailey left, they where all used on the Demolition ranges.

CDN Aviator said:
I dont understand the relation between the video and the thread title.

I am sorry if I over stepped by bounds. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion on Bailey Bridges so I went to YouTube to try and learn more. I found this video and I decided to share it.

I am just trying to educate myself. I ask the moderators to delete the post if it is not suitable and I will stick to lurking.

Larkvall said:
I am sorry if I over stepped by bounds.

No worries, just was not sure what a video involving civillian workers had to do with Canadian engineer units since the bridge is no longer part of a unit's equipment.

If you want to learn, read up on the Acrow Bridge. It replaced the Bailey in our applications.

Other than larger & heavier bridge parts, not much of a difference between Acrow & Bailey.... oh yeah, easier to build with cranes & heavy equipment.

Yup they used crane's!!!!!!

How many of you young Sapper's out there have built Bailey ?
For me the back buster was transom party !!!!!!

Oh guess what Baily may come back in?

You young lot had better be prepared,she is a cow to build but once you have built your first Bailey bridge you can stand proud because you have built your bridge on muscle power and Sapper power.

Nick

Wassup Earl?

Has someone suddenly come to the conclusion that Bailey sized bridge parts make a whole lot of sense?

Always felt sad when we used old Bailey parts for demolition training.

When I went into talk to the recruiter he said that some pieces of the MGB were 600 lbs and had to be carried by 6 people.

There is still a Bailey Bridge in service in on Old Finch road in Toronto (just north of the zoo). It was built by 2 Field Engineer Regiment after Hurricane Hazel washed out the previous bridge. There is a nice plaque on the east end of the bridge.

I took a few pictures.

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

When I went into talk to the recruiter he said that some pieces of the MGB were 600 lbs and had to be carried by 6 people.

Pieces like that are perfect for team building.... cause you can't move em on your own and you know that you need everyone's 100% to get the job done.

I have seen some courses where they have a large log assigned to each section.
The log comes with you everywhere & by the time the course is over, everyone knows his/her place on work parties.

That's a fantastic idea... I was wondering what I was going to do with a dozen pieces of 8x8 lumber....

Just a Sig Op said:
That's a fantastic idea... I was wondering what I was going to do with a dozen pieces of 8x8 lumber....

We use telephone poles or matured round timber.

Of course, these logs can be pimped up - painted up with regimental colours

geo said:
Pieces like that are perfect for team building.... cause you can't move em on your own and you know that you need everyone's 100% to get the job done.

Yes. He said if somebody doesn't carry their 100 lbs worth then either somebody else has to pick up the slack or it doesn't move. Also, he said that everybody has to move at the same time/direction or it doesn't work.

Here is a bridge building video...

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?FlashEnabled=1&id=2338

Larkvall said:

End Taper Panel is roughly 600lbs
Top Panel is roughly 350lbs
Bottom Panel is roughly 400lbs
The panel pins are around 22lbs

Cant remember what the bankseat beams weighed.

IIRC

Back