• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Breonna Taylor Shooting

Donald H

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
They indicted one officer for "reckless endangerment" of the family in the apartment next to Breonna Taylor's. NO ONE was charged for the homicide of Breonna Taylor.

(quoted from word of mouth and not a link)

This will most likely lead to more violent protests on the streets and not good news for Biden's campaign.

edit: (can a staff member fix the 'Bronna' spelling mistake please?)

Donald H said:

This will most likely lead to more violent protests on the streets and not good news for Biden's campaign.

Who is being quoted ?  Also why would this not be good news for Biden ?  No that it should be good or bad news.

Sadly, it is a shame what happened to Breonna Taylor and the acts leading to this and the encounter as a whole should be dissected fully and charges laid if necessary

Halifax Tar said:
Who is being quoted ?  Also why would this not be good news for Biden ?  No that it should be good or bad news.

Sadly, it is a shame what happened to Breonna Taylor and the acts leading to this and the encounter as a whole should be dissected fully and charges laid if necessary

I'm quoting a friend who I trust to be informed. Are you asking for a link?

The reason why I suggest that it's not good news for Biden is because the street violence is being used as a talking point against Biden. There are accusations of electing Biden will contribute to just 'more' violence

I have to concur with your final sentence that begins with 'sadly'.

:cheers:

The City of Louisville, KY agreed to pay $12 million to Breonna's family.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisville-to-announce-substantial-settlement-in-breonna-taylor-civil-suit

FY's I

508.060 Wanton endangerment in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under
circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he
wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious
physical injury to another person.

(2) Wanton endangerment in the first degree is a Class D felony.
Effective: January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 70, effective January 1, 1975.

Donald H said:

edit: (can a staff member fix the 'Bronna' spelling mistake please?)

Here's a link I found: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/grand-jury-report-breonna-taylor-1.5735521

A Kentucky grand jury on Wednesday indicted a single police officer for shooting into neighbouring apartments but did not move forward with charges against any officers for their role in Breonna Taylor's death.

And it sounds like you're bot the only one anticipating violent "protests": https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/23/breonna-taylor-case-decision-louisville-braces-protests/3501220001/

Something to suggest the authorities are not being paranoid to board up downtown and deploy National Guard:

https://youtu.be/JYTMueOOe6s

A lot of people are upset at this ruling because it isn't a murder charge and they don't actually understand, or care, why it can't be. They will riot over this and act lime this is proof the system is racist.

Tcm621 said:
A lot of people are upset at this ruling because it isn't a murder charge and they don't actually understand, or care, why it can't be. They will riot over this and act lime this is proof the system is racist.

What is happening in America is quite different from what is happening in Canada. We know we don't want to copy them but we aren't intent on examining the reasons why it's so different. I'll try to get that conversation going here.

The City of Louisville, KY agreed to pay $12 million to Breonna's family.

Update.

You lie in a warrant application, or you collude to cover up something that went sideways, you deserve what you get.
Yup this has always been a head scratcher for me in terms of prosecution.

Yup this has always been a head scratcher for me in terms of prosecution.
The other issue is Federal Laws and State Laws often overlap here.
The Federal charges for violating civil rights are the ones going through now, as the State Criminal ones failed (for the most part).

This case has so much decrepitude being shown by the Louisville Police it’s revolting.

Furthermore the Department and the State didn’t really seem to terribly interested in cleaning it up.

Furthermore the Department and the State didn’t really seem to terribly interested in cleaning it up.

The City of Louisville taxpayers will pick up the tab.

According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, $5 million is coming from the city's risk management fund, while the remaining $7 million will be paid via the city's self-insurance fund.

To make matters worse, the insurance company, General Star, has cancelled the city's policy, leaving taxpayers entirely responsible for payouts.

The City of Louisville taxpayers will pick up the tab.

According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, $5 million is coming from the city's risk management fund, while the remaining $7 million will be paid via the city's self-insurance fund.

To make matters worse, the insurance company, General Star, has cancelled the city's policy, leaving taxpayers entirely responsible for payouts.
To me paying out isn't cleaning it up, that's more akin to trying to sweep under the rug when one doesn't conduct a thorough internal (or have an external) investigation conducted.

For example:
Ex-detective Brett Hankison is alleged to have “willfully used unconstitutionally excessive force … when he fired his service weapon into Taylor’s apartment through a covered window and covered glass door.” He is charged with depriving Taylor and a guest in her home “of their constitutional rights by firing shots through a bedroom window that was covered with blinds and a blackout curtain,” the US Department of Justice said.
The 46-year-old also faces charges of depriving three of Taylor’s neighbors of their constitutional rights as, according to the indictment, the bullets he fired traveled through a wall in Taylor’s home and into an adjacent apartment.
Okay, he had been fired 10 rds - with no sight picture at all of a threat, had no visual of a threat - and was acquired at the state level of wanton endangerment - by Jury...
I mean I can't fathom that one, the DA was either utterly inept, or intentionally sloppy.

The whole falsification of the warrant, both the facts to obtain it, and the misrepresentation of SWAT recommending a No-Knock, then the collusion attempting to cover up the lies after the death of Breonna Taylor is just sickening - and I hope those involved in that swing as hard as they can for that one.

To me paying out isn't cleaning it up, that's more akin to trying to sweep under the rug when one doesn't conduct a thorough internal (or have an external) investigation conducted.

I'm not an expert on American criminal justice, or police procedures.
It was the financial cost of the lawsuits I was commenting on.

Not just in the U.S, and not just the police.

The city I worked for paid out millions of taxpayer dollars in lawsuits involving the emergency services.

No criminal charges. No one got fired. Just a little remedial training, and back on the street.

Just a question and not meant to insult anyone:

Do cops rehearse actions at the objective when making arrests - providing they have the time?

For example:
Ex-detective Brett Hankison is alleged to have “willfully used unconstitutionally excessive force … when he fired his service weapon into Taylor’s apartment through a covered window and covered glass door.” He is charged with depriving Taylor and a guest in her home “of their constitutional rights by firing shots through a bedroom window that was covered with blinds and a blackout curtain,” the US Department of Justice said.
The 46-year-old also faces charges of depriving three of Taylor’s neighbors of their constitutional rights as, according to the indictment, the bullets he fired traveled through a wall in Taylor’s home and into an adjacent apartment.
Okay, he had been fired 10 rds - with no sight picture at all of a threat, had no visual of a threat - and was acquired at the state level of wanton endangerment - by Jury...
I mean I can't fathom that one, the DA was either utterly inept, or intentionally sloppy.

The whole falsification of the warrant, both the facts to obtain it, and the misrepresentation of SWAT recommending a No-Knock, then the collusion attempting to cover up the lies after the death of Breonna Taylor is just sickening - and I hope those involved in that swing as hard as they can for that one.
If he was already charged for the same action, would the new charges not amount to double jeopardy?

Just a question and not meant to insult anyone:

Do cops rehearse actions at the objective when making arrests - providing they have the time?

Not in the same way we would know and recognize it. A switched on team with the ability to get floor blueprints will certainly look them over, but physical rehearsals are unlikely. And I don’t get the impression that this was a switched on team.

Generally speaking police get very little time for good training; it’s too tough to spare them from operational duties. In the military, more time is spent not deployed than deployed. For police, conversely, nearly every shift is ‘in theatre’, with days out of the rotation for training being exceptional.

Back