• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BOTP ? for NCM

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
For NCMs who become officers, do they still go through exactly the same officer training as civilians who just joined through direct entry?  Or is the officer training shorter for NCMs since they've gone through recruit training before?

Depends on how much time in and/or your rank.

No matter what you're in for at least the 5 week BOTP and anything less than MCpl gets you onto 9 week IAP also. For reserves I believe it's 10 yrs + MCpl.

When I went through, the CFR(from the ranks) platoon had mostly Sgt's and a few MCpl, at least one WO maybe more I'm not sure, and a reserve Capt. This platoon did the 5 week BOTP course only and was mixed CFRs and new officers who did IAP earlier in the year.

Sorry the details are a little thin I'm not in a position that I have to know about it.

The logic behind it I believe is that there is still a significant leadership portion at the end of IAP but that said, the former Cpls and LS' I had the pleasure of training with seemed to have an easier go of things and the rest of the platoon benefitted a lot from having them with us(ie they saved us from ourselves). The only guys I noticed getting bent up about having to do BOTC were former CIC officers.

In a few words: PLQ qualification will make you skip IAP. In order to skip BOTP, you have to be qualified ILQ (or SLC) which is WO level.

My squadron sgt from the beginning of the year, now a Lt., had to do BOTP. He has more than 20 years in and he used to be a BOTC instructor at the Mega. I imagine if he had to do BOTP, most people would have to do BOTP.

When I went UTPNCM in 99, I was exempt BOTC 1.  I was ISCC qualified and at the time, anyone JLC, CLC, or ISCC qualified was exempt.  However, I did have to complete BOTC 2 and completed it in 2000.  It is my understanding that NCM's up to the rank of WO has to complete at least BOTC 2.

As for CFR's, SCP's and the other commissioning plans, I do not know.  Also, I do not know if the regs have changed since 99.  Regardless, it is more of a headache than it is worth but it has to be done.   

Back