• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

bosn ?

royalnomad

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got my AVOTP msg, and i was wondering if any one has a link to the Ql3 course outline.

I heard from some one that the Ql3 is now incorperating the ships bording party course, is this true?

tks

royalnomad said:
I just got my AVOTP msg, and i was wondering if any one has a link to the Ql3 course outline.

I heard from some one that the Ql3 is now incorperating the ships bording party course, is this true?

tks

Nope, you will be trained on all the small arms in the Navy inventory because one of your duties on ship will be to help the small arms custodian. You will also be taught how to drive the RHIB and many other things that bosn's do.

I do not know the dates but QL3 Bosn courses are held at Esquimalt and Halifax. Which coast you'll be taking the course on is decided by the coast that your first ship is located.

As another Army guy looking to go Navy this brings up another question. Who is the SA custodian on a ship? Is it a senior boatswain or is it handled by another trade?

ArmouredCowboy said:
As another Army guy looking to go Navy this brings up another question. Who is the SA custodian on a ship? Is it a senior boatswain or is it handled by another trade?
QL5 Killick will be the Small Arms custodian.

I would love to see a very hard working Bos'n being granted a BWK ticket or OIC ticket for an Orca class vessel. A CPO2 diver already did it so a PO2 Bos'n should have no problem.

P2 and P1 Bos'ns on the West Coast had their tickets for the YAGs. Why not for the Orcas. Unless there are some MARs that are worried about losing their jobs!!

Retired FDO said:
P2 and P1 Bos'ns on the West Coast had their tickets for the YAGs. Why not for the Orcas. Unless there are some MARs that are worried about losing their jobs!!

I took the Tender Charge course in 2004 and understood from the bosns on the course that it was no longer part of their usual career progression at that time.  Most of them were in or on their way to a posting in which it would be useful to have, e.g. with NTS or HMCS ORIOLE.

It may also be a factor that the ORCA-class training is somewhat longer that was necessary for YAGs.

PCT ORCA OICs can come from both the Bosn and the Diver MOCs. For a Bosn or a Diver who have a Tender Charge qualification they must complete an online training package and a "check ride" to consolidate their ticket.

The ORCA's are classified as tenders and captained by an OIC.

Since the applicable orders have not changed, a Tender Command Certificate is all that is needed  to be OIC.

In view of their greater complexity as compared to YAG's, it is logical to think that a  conversion course is required first and that the current tender commad course will be expanded somewhat.

This said, however, the Tender Command Certificate will still only permit the holder to do day sailing in good visibility unless also a holder of a BWK - no night steaming or blind pilotage stuff - unless they change the limitations. With those restrictions, there is little doubt that a QL5 Bosn should be able to handle them, though.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
The ORCA's are classified as tenders and captained by an OIC.

Since the applicable orders have not changed, a Tender Command Certificate is all that is needed  to be OIC.

In view of their greater complexity as compared to YAG's, it is logical to think that a  conversion course is required first and that the current tender commad course will be expanded somewhat.

This said, however, the Tender Command Certificate will still only permit the holder to do day sailing in good visibility unless also a holder of a BWK - no night steaming or blind pilotage stuff - unless they change the limitations. With those restrictions, there is little doubt that a QL5 Bosn should be able to handle them, though.
Actually, the applicable orders have changed considerably since the introduction of the ORCAs and the ORCA Class SOPs that govern them. The process of obtaining Tender Command/Charge is much more involved (it looks a lot like what the Minor Warship command process used to look like, before it ballooned to essentially mirror the Surface process); for the few people who still hold the old Tender Command, an ORCA class endorsement must be obtained (a DL package, a few weeks on the plates, plus a comprehensive check-ride).

I think you've confused Tender Command and Charge WRT to the night/good vis stuff. Charge is the more limited qualification granted to NCMs and CIC officers, and has a number of restrictions on it - in practice, NCM divers obtain Tender Charge only for the dive tenders on each coast (not, or seldom, the ORCAs), and Bosns obtain it for the purposes of harbour moves/limited shuttling in the Gulf Islands.

A day-only restriction has been recently applied to the Tender Command qualification for people who obtained their qualification other than as part of the Command Development Course. This has led to rather ridiculous situations where people may exercise command in zero-vis fog, but not after sunset in perfect vis, or where people who used to be qualified to drive a YAG at night with a completely inadequate nav fit can now not do so on a platform with two radars and an electronic charting system. Rumour is that the change was applied due to a typo in the new ORCA SOP that everyone was afraid to fix after it got signed because they couldn't "justify" the "change". There's some indication that sanity is returning on this point, so we'll see how things develop.

The orders I mention are of course the MARCORD's (or today's equivalent if any) that defined all the various type of tickets and certificates for command of various ships and submarines.

They obviously evolved in the meantime (I have been out for a while) but, I don't know when the process for Minor Warship Command Certificate ceased to "essentially mirror the surface process".

When I got my MWC Cert, the requirements were to pass eight command exams, six of which were common with the Surface Command Certificate ( All four navigation exams, the Sea/Ceremonial and Log/admin exams), one of which covered the same orders but with adaptations for the ship types (engineering - adapted for issues relating to Gate vessels and PB's on the practical side) and the last one covering all surface operations and communications in a single "ops " exam; then you had to get your sea time in as XO, get a seagoing Captain's recommendation and appear before a board that was headed by a reg. force Captain (mine was chaired by the late Captain Davies), as the qualification was available to both reservists and regular force officers wishing to command PB's before having attended their Ops Officer course.

Back