• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Book on Combat Engineers in Afghanistan

PanaEng

Inactive
Reaction score
Gents,
just came across this  with a request to disseminate - and I figured this would be a good place to do it as well.
Written by members for the members and those interested in their story.

for more info see: www.23fieldsquadron.ca

Of note is this:
Any and all profits generated from the sales of this book will be split between the Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warriors Fund and the Association. 

Please pass the word.

Chimo!
Frank

Good link ParaEng. Will be checking the site again when the books become available.

That's a nice link. I'll looking forward for this book, for sure

The website has been updated.
There are excerpts from the chapters as well as a foreword by BGen Denis Thompson and the introduction by Maj Gasparotto.
You can also order the book online from the "Contacts" page (it will go live on June 15).

CHIMO!

Frank

Thank's PanaEng.
It's good to see that some of us are recording the life of present day Sappers.

Nick

UBIQUE

Does anyone happen to know when this book will be available for purchase?

Jourdan said:
Does anyone happen to know when this book will be available for purchase?
From the web site linked in the first message:
BOOK SALES TO COMMENCE JUNE 15 ONLINE AT THIS SITE CONTACT US AT 23fieldsquadron@gmail.com FOR ADDITIONAL INFO

Spr.Earl said:
Thank's PanaEng.
It's good to see that some of us are recording the life of present day Sappers.

Yes, absolutely.
And a big BZ to Maj Gasparotto, CWO Montgomery and all the contributors and members of the 23 Field Sqn Association for this initiative and the for the cause that it supports.

With todays technology and accessibility to on-demand printing services there is no reason why other units couldn't do this as well. Even if just in a smaller as a units "war diary" or history. Other units wit a more individual history do this; it just seems that is not as common with the Engineers.

Chimo!
Frank

There was an article about this book in "The London Free Press", I'm currently in training, both mentally and physically to apply to the CF and hopefully be lucky enough to become a member of the Engineers, when I saw that there was a book put out by those brave souls of the 23rd Field Sqn. I couldn't order it fast enough, there's about a 4 week wait once ordered, I purchased the paperback, black and white version (there's a few options, hard cover, colour photos etc.), with delivery it cost me about $30, money well spent, can't wait for the book  :cdnsalute:

....from the Canadian Press, including the book being dedicated to the late Sergeant Shane Stachnik (link to Canadian Virtual War Memorial listing):
A fierce battle in Afghanistan in which Canada paid a heavy price is the inspiration for a new book authored by some of those who fought the Taliban.

"Clearing the Way" includes accounts of members of 23 Field Squadron who took part in Operation Medusa.

On Sept. 3, 2006 four Canadian soldiers were killed and six others were wounded during the major Canadian-led offensive against the Taliban in the volatile Panjwaii district.

Among those who died that day was Sgt. Shane Stachnik, 30, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment Canadian. Stachnik was the first combat engineer killed in battle in the conflict in Afghanistan and the book is dedicated to his memory.

"Sgt. Shane Stachnik was killed and that was sort of the toughest moment of the squadron but also the most unifying moment for the squadron," said Maj. Rich Busbridge, who was with the field squadron at the time, "I think that helped the squadron sort of bond together."

"It happened so very early in the deployment that sort of galvanized us as a squadron and we all rallied around him to carry on for the rest of the tour." ....

I'm happy to announce that "Clearing the Way" has successfully been made into a documentary by Paul Culliton, producer of "If I Should Fall" which follows the life of Marc Diab in work-up and the Afghan mission.

LCol Gasparotto was present on Parliament Hill with Mr Culliton for the initial viewing of the documentary last week which details the lives, battles and struggles of 23 Field Squadron as the combat engineer enablers during Op Medusa.

DVD release date will be announced.

Chimo!

M2A said:
I'm happy to announce that "Clearing the Way" has successfully been made into a documentary by Paul Culliton, producer of "If I Should Fall" which follows the life of Marc Diab in work-up and the Afghan mission.

DVD release date will be announced.

***BUMP***

Did this ever happen? If so, where can I purchase a copy?

Jaxsun said:
***BUMP***

Did this ever happen? If so, where can I purchase a copy?

Yes, the DVD is out, and is available on amazon.ca

http://www.ifishouldfall.com/purchase-dvd/

Ostrozac said:
Yes, the DVD is out, and is available on amazon.ca

http://www.ifishouldfall.com/purchase-dvd/

I think they were asking if "Clearing The Way" had been made into a DVD yet?

Teager said:
I think they were asking if "Clearing The Way" had been made into a DVD yet?

Yes. This is what I was asking. Any info?

Jaxsun said:
Yes. This is what I was asking. Any info?

AFAIK there is no DVD and that's from what Google tells me. I will try asking some of the guys from the book see if they have heard or know of anything and get back to you.

Teager said:
AFAIK there is no DVD and that's from what Google tells me. I will try asking some of the guys from the book see if they have heard or know of anything and get back to you.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Back