• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2018 - present

Can anyone tell me the timeline of the weekend BMQs? If it starts in the Fall, what dates does it run from? Mid Oct - Mid Dec? Then Christmas break for how long? Thanks.

Jiminito said:
Can anyone tell me the timeline of the weekend BMQs? If it starts in the Fall, what dates does it run from? Mid Oct - Mid Dec? Then Christmas break for how long? Thanks.

Jiminito said:
Has anyone done BMQ Reserve Part-time? What are the usual Fall dates? (Start date to Finish date) 
Or is it different depending on your unit?

You asked almost the identical question in another thread. Again, course dates vary by unit and whether or not they’ll run a weekend BMQ varies also. Do you know which unit you want to apply to? They may not even definitely have a Fall weekend course running. Give the recruiter a call at your local unit. He/She should be able to help you out with specifics.

I am starting my BMQ weekend as Reserves starting Oct 12. at Vancouver, BC.

Hey everyone, my BMQ is starting soon and I was wondering if anyone knew how hard the PT is on the first few weekends? How far/fast do we have To run? I'm worried because I'm really out of shape, I can run maybe like 1.5 km before getting tuckered out and this is at a jogging pace, I can't even do a pullup. Am I screwed on BMQ?

PT will vary by course staff. Morning PT won’t be anything too crazy, but may be challenging especially for those not in shape.  Expect running(5km in 25-30mins), circuit training and ruck marches. PT can start out easier at the start of course(shorter runs, etc) but will progress. 

If you can only run 1.5km at a slow pace, you will probably find the PT challenging. However, there are numerous exercise programs out there to help get you into shape - don’t expect 2 weekends a month of BMQ to be enough to get you into shape. You need to do it on your own, and be consistent with it.

That being said, the standard for physical fitness is the FORCE test, so as long as you can pass that, you've met the standard.

The expectation on BMQ is that you not quit. If you can't run 5km, run as far as you can, then trot, then walk; just don't quit. Obviously, if you start experiencing legitimate medical issues because you're pushing yourself to hard, THEN ok, quit, lol. But by quit I mean quit the run and seek medical attention, not quit BMQ. Don't quit that.

Kind of related - I saw it posted that prior to BMQ a soldier is “moving around chairs”.

I am expecting a potential long time before working out details of my BMQ and/or BMOQ. 

Let’s say the regiment needs their officer ASAP.

Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ?  Or will he literally just be showing up for drills and moving around chairs until his coursework is complete??

Also I’m guessing pay rate will depend solely on BMQ/BMOq completion even if the soldier is doing more advanced work?

I’m asking for reserves.

ontheedge said:
Kind of related - I saw it posted that prior to BMQ a soldier is “moving around chairs”.

I am expecting a potential long time before working out details of my BMQ and/or BMOQ. 

Let’s say the regiment needs their officer ASAP.

Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ?  Or will he literally just be showing up for drills and moving around chairs until his coursework is complete??

Also I’m guessing pay rate will depend solely on BMQ/BMOq completion even if the soldier is doing more advanced work?

I’m asking for reserves.

As an OCdt without BMOQ you could do some basic admin work if required and perhaps get some lessons on battle procedure in addition to learning the basics(drill, C7 TOETs, etc).

Regardless of the work you do, you are paid according to your rank. 

ontheedge said:
Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ? 

Question on parading with your reserve unit 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/112201.0
OP: "What will I be doing as a unqualified pvt on parade nights? My BMQ is in January so I will start parading 3 months prior to BMQ"

ontheedge said:
I’m asking for reserves.

Hello OnTheEdge, I just recently enrolled as an Infantry Officer in a Reserve Unit in the Montreal Area. It's been a month and a half and I could tell you my experience so far:

Upon joining, we were assigned to the 4th Platoon, which is where all the recruits in my unit go (officer or not). I'm always with my platoon (or sometimes only my section), and we're doing the same things. Drill training, physical activities, lectures, etc. We're also often offered opportunities to come more often, which is great considering we're haven't even started BMQ/BMOQ. I already did two night shifts when another unit stayed at our armory for the weekend. I also participated during the Open Doors day. My section commander, who is also an Officer Cadet (who has completed BMQ) has already been introduced to administrative work and is doing great. My platoon commander is also an Officer Cadet (awaiting promotion to 2LT as he has already completed his Phase II). If you have some more questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll try to answer as best I can!

Good luck with your application.

A bit late but I thought I would post anyway

Recruiting Centre: Vancouver
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Applied: May 23, 2018
First Contact: May 24, 2018
CFAT: June 1, 2018
FORCE Test: June 6, 2018
Interview: June 27, 2018
Medical: July 24, 2018
Position Offered: October 16, 2018
Sworn in: October 24, 2018
BMQ: January 11, 2019

scorr1982 said:
Hopefully medical and reliability don't take forever....

Recruiting Center: Kelowna
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: May 13th 2018
First Contact: May 14th 2018
CFAT: November 20th 2018 (Qualified for trade choice)
Force Test: November 20th 2018
Medical: November 20th 2018
Extra Medical Forms Sent: December 21st 2018
Medical Approved: January 28th 2019
Interview: November 20th 2018
Position Offered: Pending
Enrolment: Pending
BMQ: Pending

Recruiting Center: 32 CBG @ Fort York Armouries, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Training Unit: The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton) Regiment
Regular/Reserve: Reserves Class A Service
Officer/NCM: NCM - Unskilled
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Artillery Gunner
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Date I Began Interest in CAF/military lifestyle: June, 2014
Application Date: February 8, 2019
Type of Application: Normal application --> Express Application/Given Conditional Offer (day before CFAT + FORCE Test)
First Contact: February 21, 2019
FORCE & CFAT completed : March 12, 2019 (eligible for all 200+ CAF occupations)
Medical Exam completed: March 14, 2019
Interview completed: March 14, 2019
Position Offered: Offered all 3 but accepted Infantry soldier on March 14, 2019
Enrollment Ceremony Date: [Not enrolled as of yet]
BMQ Date: [Not enrolled as of yet]
DP1 Date: [Not enrolled as of yet]

:salute: :cdnsalute: :cdn:

Hello, I just recieved word that I will be doing my BMQ and BMQ-L in Kingston Ontario. I head up to Kingston July 2nd. Wondering if anyone else will be going.

As well if anyone has any advice. I just got sworn in have been looking for some tips and need to knows etc. What's the Base like in Kingston?

Hello, I just recieved word that I will be doing my BMQ and BMQ-L in Kingston Ontario. I head up to Kingston July 2nd. Wondering if anyone else will be going.

As well if anyone has any advice. I just got sworn in have been looking for some tips and need to knows etc. What's the Base like in Kingston?

Little_Tiger

Mike Bobbitt said:
  • You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads.
Thanks for your cooperation,

Army.ca Staff

Little_Tiger said:
What's the Base like in Kingston?

CFB Kingston
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/29166.175
8 pages.

If you have any specific questions about Kingston after reading through those eight pages, Little_Tiger, ask away and I may be able to answer them.

My oldest Granddaughter just finished both in Aldershot. Advice: be physically fit. Funny, she lives in Kingston.

Hi there,

I am in the process of applying for the Reserves. So far I have  passed the CFAT, passed the PT, had an amazing interview and now waiting for the medical.  For the Reserves is there is "merit/competition list" or ia that only for Reg Force?

Can some people who have gone through preferably relatively recently, explain how Basic for the Reserves works? I was hoping to do Army but now thinking I may want to switch to the RCAF instead if that makes a difference and if I am able to make the change.  What was your experience like? Is it similar to BMQ for Reg Force in St. Jean? What can I expect the first few days and throughout training? Do the Reserves in Basic get to do an obstacle course?  What will be the requirements for physical fitness? How many pushups, sit ups ect should I be aiming to do?  Im a woman in her early 30s for context. 

After basic training is completed what will happen next? My trade of choice is MSE Op and was hoping to get a B class. 

LadyPhoenix89 said:
Can some people who have gone through preferably relatively recently, explain how Basic for the Reserves works?

Reserve BMQ questions and answers here,

BMQ Reserves 2018 - present 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/128027.0

LadyPhoenix89 said:
What will be the requirements for physical fitness?

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )
https://army.ca/forums/threads/80513.1075
49 pages.

LadyPhoenix89 said:
Im a woman in her early 30s for context. 

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/2420.150
89 pages.

LadyPhoenix89 said:
After basic training is completed what will happen next?

Trade training.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Back