• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ 2019 - Regular Force

Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: aircraft structures tech
Trade Choice 2: human resources admin
Trade Choice 3: aerospace operator
Application Date: December 2018
First Contact: December 2018
CFAT: scheduled for January 17th, 2019
Medical: tbd
Interview: tbd

Wish me luck! I've wanted this since I was 17!

Recruiting Center: CFRC London
Trade choice 1: Medical Technician - Unskilled
Application date:
First contact:
CFAT: Early 2017 (application carryover from Reserves)
Medical: July 18 2018 (I believe)
Interview: July 18 2018
Medical supplementary documentation: Late July
Reliability approved: Late August 2018
Medical approved: August 31 2018
Competition list: August 31 2018
Position offered: January 07 2019
Enrolment: January 30 2019
BMQ: February 11 2019

New years is off to a good start for myself. Good luck to everyone else and stay patient.

CdnRedneck said:
I am going to BMQ on Jan 12 for 10 weeks and i was wondering what has been removed from BMQ. I tried looking for other threads and could not find any.
I was talking to some of the recruiters after my enrolment ceremony and was told that a lot of combat oriented training, weapons handling was reduced as it more than what is needed for purple trades and will be made up in occupational training for the more combat specializing trades.

I was wondering about the civi dress code, I get the no leggings part but dress pants or jeans as mentioned on the joining instructions? I know there is a lot of grey area (people dressed like cowboys) and was hoping for input regarding grey camo pants or cargo pants, obviously would not like to buy more clothes that I will never wear unless required.
Khaki-Cargo-Pants-Women-2017-multi-pocket-Trouser-Causal-military-Summer-female-Army-Camo-Fashion-women.jpg

Kitkat5 said:
Hey guys, I got selected as a army supply tech. My BMQ start date is Jan 28th, 2019. Anyone else lurking this thread have the same start date ?  :subbies:

I will starting then too

Camo pants are cool until you're wearing them for 18 hours a day, or for a 7 week stretch without laundry or a shower. Find some other colour.

PuckChaser said:
Camo pants are cool until you're wearing them for 18 hours a day, or for a 7 week stretch without laundry or a shower. Find some other colour.

Compared to jeans or dress pants they would be much more preferable, I'm just interested whether or not there will be any issue wearing something casual instead of something dressy at BMQ until issued my kit.

Also would athletic pants be acceptable when it says athletic shorts on joining instructions?

There's a reason you're being asked to bring "dressy" clothes. From Day 1 you're going to be indoctrinated on professionalism. Part of that is how you dress. You'll hear dress and deportment more times than you can count on your fingers and toes every day you're at St Jean (if they're doing it right). I just looked at the BMQ Joining Instructions, and to me it screams "Business Casual".

The athletic clothing they're asking you to bring is for PT, I would bring the minimum and then those athletic pants if you want for outdoor PT.

The goal here is to bring what they ask, its for a reason. You're not the first person going through BMQ that doesn't want to wear dress pants or jeans, and you won't be the last.

Pitohui said:
I was talking to some of the recruiters after my enrolment ceremony and was told that a lot of combat oriented training, weapons handling was reduced as it more than what is needed for purple trades and will be made up in occupational training for the more combat specializing trades.

I was wondering about the civi dress code, I get the no leggings part but dress pants or jeans as mentioned on the joining instructions? I know there is a lot of grey area (people dressed like cowboys) and was hoping for input regarding grey camo pants or cargo pants, obviously would not like to buy more clothes that I will never wear unless required.

I will starting then too

For clarification, weapons training and handling still encompasses all the key components it did when I was there.

I never saw anyone dressed like cowboys. What I did see were females wearing leggings and yoga pants even though they were told not to. I saw males and females not having the faintest idea of what business casual was, I saw people with PT/gym attire, which was laughable at best, and I saw people who actually looked presentable and professional and who were prepared. Everyone receives the same prep list. So, choose your own reasons for why you'll stand out right off the bat--be it negative reasons or positive reasons.

Don't bring a ton of civvie stuff. You won't need it.

There's nothing wrong with the pants on the left or middle, however I'd advise against showing up in camouflage pattern clothing. The joining instructions say nothing about business casual, and I'd argue anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't actually worked in an office environment because you certainly wouldn't want to be marching around and humping kit bags in that type of clothing.

BeyondTheNow said:
I never saw anyone dressed like cowboys. What I did see were females wearing leggings and yoga pants even though they were told not to. I saw males and females not having the faintest idea of what business casual was, I saw people with PT/gym attire, which was laughable at best, and I saw people who actually looked presentable and professional and who were prepared. Everyone receives the same prep list. So, choose your own reasons for why you'll stand out right off the bat--be it negative reasons or positive reasons.

Don't bring a ton of civvie stuff. You won't need it.

I've never had an issue with the dress code in the professional background I come from so I honestly don't know where the line is between business casual and too casual is, that's why I'm here looking for input, grey camo and the green cargo pants from the picture I posted before was suitable when working as a liaison and supply chain rep.
Now I went out and spent $320 for half the clothes and that's why I'm looking for input, getting everything on the list can get unnecessarily expensive if some of the clothes I already own meet the criteria.
Now about leggings and athletic shorts, I hate leggings and haven't bought a pair of shorts in over ten years so when I'm looking at athletic shorts and crop pants, they all look like leggings to me, can someone suggest whether or not these are acceptable as athletic bottoms for BMQ?
(Can't get image link to load)
https://images.lululemon.com/is/image/lululemon/LW6AB1S_035167_2?$image_carousel-xl_2x$
https://images.lululemon.com/is/image/lululemon/LW7AN7S_034135_2?$image_carousel-xl_2x$

cld617 said:
There's nothing wrong with the pants on the left or middle, however I'd advise against showing up in camouflage pattern clothing.
On weekends IF we're allowed out after indoc, would there be any issue in wearing my grey camo then?

Pitohui said:
I've never had an issue with the dress code in the professional background I come from so I honestly don't know where the line is between business casual and too casual is, that's why I'm here looking for input, grey camo and the green cargo pants from the picture I posted before was suitable when working as a liaison and supply chain rep.
Now I went out and spent $320 for half the clothes and that's why I'm looking for input, getting everything on the list can get unnecessarily expensive if some of the clothes I already own meet the criteria.
Now about leggings and athletic shorts, I hate leggings and haven't bought a pair of shorts in over ten years so when I'm looking at athletic shorts and crop pants, they all look like leggings to me, can someone suggest whether or not these are acceptable as athletic bottoms for BMQ?
(Can't get image link to load)
https://images.lululemon.com/is/image/lululemon/LW6AB1S_035167_2?$image_carousel-xl_2x$
https://images.lululemon.com/is/image/lululemon/LW7AN7S_034135_2?$image_carousel-xl_2x$
On weekends IF we're allowed out after indoc, would there be any issue in wearing my grey camo then?

You will absolutely be allowed off base after Indoc. It’s just a matter of which weekend(s) you’ll have taken away from you/the pl. (This happens to everyone at least once, it’s just part of the process.) Yes, you can wear those pants, or any other pants you’re comfortable in.

I’m not trying to be facetious here, but I honestly don’t know how to explain suitable attire. Do you need a full business suit? No. Do you need creased dress slacks and a button-down blouse with dress shoes? I wouldn’t even go that far. Khakis and a nice v-neck with sensible shoes should suffice. (And I can’t stress “sensible” enough. You’ll be doing a ton of walking and standing—enough to make you sweat, because you’ll be walking as fast as you can everywhere while trying to learn how to march. Those little slip-on, flat-soled, no cushion and zero traction things won’t cut it.)

Standard athletic wear will be fine. I bought a couple of inexpensive black, slightly fitted T’s from Walmart and I got my shorts from Winners and Sportchek. (I prefer the style with the tight, dry fit layer underneath and a loose layer on top—one piece.) You won’t need more than a couple of pairs tops. You’ll be able to do laundry each evening. I can’t stress enough how few items of civvie  clothing you’ll actually need. (Unfortunately, you won’t understand what I mean until you’re already into course—I’m trying to save you some effort though.)

BeyondTheNow said:
You will absolutely be allowed off base after Indoc. It’s just a matter of which weekend(s) you’ll have taken away from you/the pl. (This happens to everyone at least once, it’s just part of the process.) Yes, you can wear those pants, or any other pants you’re comfortable in.

I’m not trying to be facetious here, but I honestly don’t know how to explain suitable attire. Do you need a full business suit? No. Do you need creased dress slacks and a button-down blouse with dress shoes? I wouldn’t even go that far. Khakis and a nice v-neck with sensible shoes should suffice. (And I can’t stress “sensible” enough. You’ll be doing a ton of walking and standing—enough to make you sweat, because you’ll be walking as fast as you can everywhere while trying to learn how to march. Those little slip-on, flat-soled, no cushion things won’t cut it.)

Standard athletic wear will be fine. I bought a couple of inexpensive black, slightly fitted T’s from Walmart and I got my shorts from Winners and Sportchek. (I prefer the style with the tight, dry fit layer underneath and a loose layer on top—one piece.) You won’t need more than a couple of pairs tops. You’ll be able to do laundry each evening. I can’t stress enough how few items of civvie  clothing you’ll actually need. (Unfortunately, you won’t understand what I mean until you’re already into course—I’m trying to save you some effort though.)

Right now I just wear something casual that is comfortable and nonrestrictive, as for the civi clothing I was only planning to bring what was listed on the Joining Instructions, two pairs of casual pants, two athletic shirts etc., etc. I just literally don't have anything other than like three sets of casual clothing before I went shopping today. I guess I'm good with the business casual and athletic tops, just need to figure out if those compression type athletic bottoms would be acceptable.
I do want to thank everyone for their input as I'll no longer be left guessing and make a fool of myself day one.

So far this is what my application process looks like. I also had a quick question to anyone who has had to get extra medical forms filled out by civi doctors. I handed them all in via email to the med tech who did my first medical exam and was wondering if they send a confirmation they got all the information and usually how long of a wait till I get a response.

Recruiting Center: Edmonton
Trade Choice 1: Vehicle Technician
Trade Choice 2: Military Police
Trade Choice 3: Medical Technician
Application Date: 15th August 2018
First Contact: 16th August 2018
CFAT: 25th October 2018 (Qualified chose Vehicle Technician)
Medical: 13 November 2018
Extra Medical Forms Sent: 8 January 2019
Medical Approved: Pending
Interview: Pending
Position Offered: Pending
Enrolment: Pending
BMQ: Pending

UPDATE:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Barrie 
Trade choice 1: Combat Engineer
Trade choice 2: Armoured Soldier
Trade choice 3: 
Application date: 25th July 2018
First contact: 26th July 2018
CFAT: 18th September 2018
Interview: 27th November 2018
Medical: 29th November 2018
Med Approved: 5th December 20188
Reliability chrck approved: NA
Competition list: 5th December 2018
Position offered: Crewman - December 11th 2018 - DECLINED
                      : Combat Engineer - January 18, 2018 - ACCEPTED
Enrolment: January 30, 2019
BMQ: February 11, 2019

I can't say the process was long but it was certainly interesting. Good luck to all who are starting BMQ soon or who are still in the process. Dreams do come true!

Kitkat5 said:
Hey guys, I got selected as a army supply tech. My BMQ start date is Jan 28th, 2019. Anyone else lurking this thread have the same start date ?  :subbies:

MY BMQ start date is January 28, 2019 as well!

Recruiting Centre: Victoria
Regular/Reserve: Reg
Trade Choice 1: MarTech
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Applied: May 27, 2018
First Contact: May 28, 2018
CFAT: did it in early 2000's and was told it was still valid
TSD: June 11 2018
Interview: July 12 2018
Medical:  July 12 2018
Deemed medically unfit due to borderline H3 hearing.
Received letter of rejection: October 25 2018
Went to a DR. of audiology and passed H2 hearing
Decision overturned: December 21 2018
Follow up medical and interview: January 21 2019
Position Offered: February 21 2019
Sworn in:  February 28 2019
BMQ: Leave March 9 and start on March 11 2019

It's been a long hurry up and wait process as everything up until the medical rejection was going at lightning speeds just to slow down but alas the wait is over and this is getting more real every day!!!!

Had to reapply because it's been more than 12 months since I initially applied. Here's hoping things go by fast.

Recruiting Centre: Edmonton
Trade Choice: Infantry
Application Date: 2019-FEB-21
First Contact: 2019-FEB-25
CFAT: *Already completed*
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position offered:
Enrollment:
BMQ:

Recruiting Centre: Calgary
Trade Choice 1: 00114 NCI OP - Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: 00299 NAV COMM - Naval Communicator
Trade Choice 3: 00115 NES OP - Naval Electronic Sensor Operator
Applied: Oct 15, 2018
First Contact: Dec 5, 2018
CFAT: Completed in early 2000's
Second contact: Jan 16, 2019
Personal Inventory CFAT: FEB 5, 2019
Medical: March 5, 2019
Interview: March 5, 2019
Position Offered:
Sworn in:
BMQ:

Personal note: Hoping it wont take as long as most. I gathered from the media coverage recently that the Navy is really short handed....

Back