• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Biomedical Electronics Technologist

I'm not sure I understand the poll, but I'll try to make a stab at the rest of your post.

If you have not already done so, apply for Canadian citizenship. Being a Canadian citizen is mandatory to be a part of the CF (I know they used to let in landed immigrants under exceptional circumstances, but I'm not sure if they still do). You will have to provide proof that you were released from the Brazilian military as part of your application. One of the trickier parts for you will be your screening. You were born in a foreign country and lived in two countries, along with many your immediate family living outside the country. This will undoubtedly cause your screening to take longer to be processed.

In regards to whether you'll fit in here better than in the US, no one here can really tell you that. Both countries have wide ranging views on almost every social and political issue that exists, so it's not like there's any one view you need to conform to. If you abide by Canadian law, you will undoubtedly find a place for you in Canada.

fred_leal_1977 said:
I have previous military experience: I am a Brazilian citizen who was an Army cadet for 3 years (1997 - 1999) in the Brazilian Military Academy. I left the Academy because I did not see myself as a combatant officer for the rest of my life and the Army in Brazil does not have the position "Biomedical Officer".

And neither does the Canadian Forces, however there is an occupation called "Bioscience Officer".  It's been discussed on this forum before.  I could just tell you to do a search, but I'm feeling generous today and thus will provide you with this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70411/post-872504.html#msg872504

and this article about Bioscience Officers from The Maple Leaf (a Canadian Forces in-house magazine) http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=6692

Of course discussion about you meeting all other requirements for this occupation is moot since you do not (apparently) meet the primary criteria for enrolment in the Canadian Forces - you are not a Canadian citizen.

Hi!
I want to work for the armed forces as an engineer, however the site only lists officer positions for electrical and mechanical engineering.
Currently I'm studying biomedical mechanical engineering at the University of Ottawa.
Are there other positions available for those with a degree such as mine?
Thank you

Hi!
Soon to be studying Biomedical Mechanical Engineering at UOttawa!
Always dreamed of becoming an army med officer, however I was wondering if there were any jobs available for biomedical engineers. I've only seen positions for mechanical and electrical eng's so far.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sean

Look at Bioscience officer.  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/bioscienceofficer-51

There's a bunch, actually!

See the attached photo.

Edit: I got beat, but you get the idea.

I understand the bioscience position, however this does not directly apply to an engineering degree, and I've heard few recruits are accepted per year! If I was to commit to graduate studies, it would be preferably towards an M.D. in medicine and in pursuit of becoming a med officer, rather than the bioscience route.
I was avoiding the technologist as well as they do not require the bachelor's in engineering. I was looking for a job that relates to the degree (Such as the mechanical engineering/electrical eng officer position.)
Thank you for the input thus far! I appreciate it.

mariomike said:
Biosciences officer 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/67435/post-1367513.html#msg1367513
See Reply #17.

I thought I posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it anywhere so I thought it glitched! Thank you, I will remove that post!

Hi,

I am in my final year of electrical engineering. I want to join the Reserve right now and then transfer to the regular force in August 2019. Looking at the different jobs, I was very interested in the ''Biomedical Electronics Technologist''. Could I get some advice on what I should apply on right now and the transfer to regular force if I am looking to work as an engineer in health care.

Cheers

jundyawa said:
Hi,

I am in my final year of electrical engineering. I want to join the Reserve right now and then transfer to the regular force in August 2019. Looking at the different jobs, I was very interested in the ''Biomedical Electronics Technologist''. Could I get some advice on what I should apply on right now and the transfer to regular force if I am looking to work as an engineer in health care.

Cheers

To apply for entry as a BMet Tech, you require a Diploma of Technology in Biomedical Engineering from a recognized Canadian institution.

Entry requirements

Let me rephrase my question. I am completing an electrical engineering degree and I am looking for a job in the health care reserve before transferring to the regular force next year. What jobs should I look for?

jundyawa said:
Let me rephrase my question. I am completing an electrical engineering degree and I am looking for a job in the health care reserve before transferring to the regular force next year. What jobs should I look for?

Unless you are already a trained and licenced health professional (e.g. physician, nurse, paramedic, etc) the only medical job in the Reserves is Medical Assistant.

jundyawa said:
Hi,

Cheers
You may wish to consider Electro-Mechanical Engineer (EME) Officer. Our BMet Techs are trained to maintain biomedical equipment, with the educational requirements that PMed Moe has outlined.

Quickly weighing in as a Health Services Recruiter.

All the information given to you here is correct; in addition to a Reservist (other than MedA) needing to be qualified in the occupation already - many of the Health Services Occupations are Regular Force only.  If you're looking at the PRes you likely will want to review non-Health Service Occupations that may interest you.

Back