• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

• Thread starter Thread starter PTE Gruending
  • Start date Start date
If you make your incision where Razic mentioned the badge will sit properly.  No it shouldn't be all the way to the leather.

There is a lot of debate over leaving the liner in when shaping the beret- I've done both, and tend to leave the liner in now.

Best way I've found to shape a beret is start when you have an entire evening to devote to the shaping. Start by running hot water straight from the tap into the beret. Get it as hot as you can (ie no cold). Let run a minute or two, and work the water into the beret. Switch over to cold water, and work the cold water into the beret. Do this several times (hot then cold). Finish off with a good cold rinse.

Place the beret on your head, and looking in the mirror get the badge centred and leather rim where you want it. Smooth the beret over your head, starting from the left side, and pulling over to the right. Once it's all smooth on the top and sides, you can then start working the "flap" up under itself. Push the material up and under the flap until the bottom of the flap is even with the leather brim. Squash flat against your head. Carefully take the beret off, and ensure that the liner is not part of the flap, but just sits there on your head. Replace, and keep adjusting the beret so that it looks the way you want it.

Nows the time to watch some tube, whatever, until the beret dries. Every now and again hit the mirror and make sure that the beret isn't drying out of shape.

When you finally go to ground, take the beret off very carefully and leave it over a lamp shade or something to help it keep it's shape.

You may well have to repeat the whole process if you don't like the results, but so far (knock on wood) I haven't had to.

The beret tends to get just a little individual- units wear their's just a little differently than others, and some folk withing the unit will slide a little one way or the other. Make sure that you know what you're looking for before you start!

My two cents worth- a tight beret, with very little flap, is the way to go.

Good luck!

Garry

Confirmation.
When I join the Army. I will get in trouble if I rip out liner and burn the tags?

I reiterate what I've said several times... don't rip your liner out until basic training is over (Or until you're sure you can get away with ripping it out).

I'm actually surprised no one ever followed up to make sure I had passed in the lost kit form for the liner.

To back up Just a Sig Op, you are not allowed to take the liner out during basic.  I'm starting week 8 and last Thursday we had the Capt. inspection.  One of the first things he asked was if I shower with my beret.  He was asking because it wasn't shaped very well.  Then he suggested I remove the liner once I leave the school, as it's not permitted to remove the liner during training.

I took the advice Garry posted above and it looks to be better shaped than what it was...I hope.

It will depend on your course staff. I was told on my second day of basic that the liner was to go missing.

Yes Man said:
1. How do I put the badge on?

If you're reg force basic, you'll be putting the cap badge on when they tell you to put it on after you pass your saluting test on week 4

2. Can I take the big tag in the center off?

You 'can't' alter your equipment (hehehe)

3. Does anyone have a good high res picture of a beret, shaped well?

No pics but I like my beret
;D

Well, I just got my kit not too long ago.  I'm expecting to get on a BMQ course starting up the 26th.  The problem is that I was trying to form my beret the way the MCpl at the unit I'm joining told me too.  He told me to put it in hot water to soak, then let it dry on my head to form it, but it shrunk while it was in the water!  Can you guys help on this?  I've tried stretching it, but it so far, it won't stretch enough!!

So, anyway, after you guys finish laughing and get up off the floor, can anyone with some advice please help?  :warstory:

I don't know the type of beret you have (large style, small style, or cloth rim), but mild
shrinkage does occur.  Don't worry about formingit too much in BMQ.  Usually after, there
are other tricks to beret forming.

Given the situation, you may have two alternatives.  If possible, talk to your section leader or go to
the unit stores and exchange the beret.  Second, untie or loosen the ribbon along the leather rim
and re-soak the beret in warm water for 2 minutes and put the beret on your head.  You don't
need to have the beret on your head continuously just put it on for 10 minutes every so
often.  The leather rim should stretch and as it dries ensure the stretch stays. 

The beret shouldn't hurt or be difficult to put on, yet snuggness helps on windy days.

As a side issue, a great beret to get is here:

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/mercury_shop/uniform.htm

They're $18.50 but are a nice fit, nice size, and formable. 

you sure you're wearing it right? its not a hat. It rests on your head. Two fingers above your eyebrows the front and it should go back pass that blad spot everyone has in the back/top of their head. Also if you knoted the back strings undo them and correct it.

Thanks for your help Bert.

Eric5:  I'm in Calgary, and the BMQ course I'm on is also here in town.

wongskc said:
Well, I just got my kit not too long ago.   I'm expecting to get on a BMQ course starting up the 26th.   The problem is that I was trying to form my beret the way the MCpl at the unit I'm joining told me too.   He told me to put it in hot water to soak, then let it dry on my head to form it, but it shrunk while it was in the water!   Can you guys help on this?   I've tried stretching it, but it so far, it won't stretch enough!!

So, anyway, after you guys finish laughing and get up off the floor, can anyone with some advice please help?   :warstory:

>heres a tip...cut the stupid liner out of it and it'll for 10 times better *nods* say it fell out in the wash or a band of wild cougars ate it...

All right to all STOP AND SUCK BACK AND RELOAD!!

As to form your Beret !!.

What you do is soak it in warm water for few min.'s then wear it and form it to the shape of your respcetive skull and still wear it till it's formed!
Voila et Beret!

Take advice from someone in the Air Force who have earned there beret as well as the many who have just like I have for many years.  Forming a Beret is easy.  Fist step is cutting out the liner it has no use.  Then your going to have to shave it with a razor well make that a few razor, do both the outside and inside.  Then you get it wet,  take a shower with it or dunk it in water and then your going to shape it.  As your shaping it pull it and stretch it so that it looks good.  Most army didn't earn the black beret but you can try to look like you did.  once it is shaped good freeze it.  once it is froze pull it out and put it on you head it will be cold and might hurt a little but keep playing with it until it fits perfect, then you put it back in the freezer.  until completely solid.  pull it out let it thaw and dry put it on your head and get it fit on your head.  Every couple of weeks wash it with your uniforms, but do not dry it when you pull it out of the washer put it on your head form it and then let it dry.

Curiously, I just bought me a Belgian beret, only to discover it was made in Canada. Oh, and it fits much better too. But If its made in Canada, why is it called a Belgian?

I looked and searched but could not find anywhere that sells a belgian beret...anyone have any links?

http://www.execulink.com/~thercran/idkit.htm

Also the Canex in Gagetown sells them which might be an option if you'll be there at some point. 

Back