• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Before you release

Sigger

Inactive
Reaction score
As I have not found any other threads touching this topic, I would like to share my experience.

Life in the Military may seem like a hard, cold place in which will drain you of any pieces of yourself that you once held on to. Family life generally takes the back seat to your Military family, and your life choices are directed for you. But..

In retrospect, the Military creates the stability of career and paycheque, not to mention the pride and respect for ones career.

I would like to make a few points I wish I had really looked into before I released at the end of my VIE (Variable Initial Engagement).

• Make 100% sure you are financially ready. I was 99% sure and now, a year later I am hurting. I have a mortgage, 2 kids, 2 cars - and the Ontario economy is not very accommodating IMO. I left with a great job in the IT sector but within 3 mos was cut back. Hence Job stability.
  • Really think about why you want out. I left because my wife demands to be first. Not good enough. After I left the wife realized I was unable to provide for her half of the things I could whilst 'in'. And now, I am working twice as much and making half the wage. This is where the respect comes in. I now have very little respect for my work as it is not a job one can be proud of.
  • Think about why you joined in the first place. Whether it was a challenge, or something new to try. I joined because every time I had seen the ads, or read the articles, I had that butterflies in the stomach feeling, and needed to follow my gut. Now, I am rejoining, and I have that feeling in my gut again. Point is, follow your heart, or I guess gut, with your facts straight.

I hope this makes some people really think about their decision to release. I know I regret the decision.

**I know you forum veterans are probably thinking that this is just a personal problem, but I know my mistake and am trying to help others. Thanks.

Sigger, thanks for your candor.  Just goes to show you, the grass is NOT always greener on the other side of the fence.  I know of a few other people that got out only to reenlist because it was their 'calling' or civvie world was not what they thought it would be.
It may not always be easy, but life is all what you make of it:)

Sigger said:
**I know you forum veterans are probably thinking that this is just a personal problem, but I know my mistake and am trying to help others. Thanks.

And good on you for that - very respectable.

Sigger said:
As I have not found any other threads touching this topic, I would like to share my experience.

Life in the Military may seem like a hard, cold place in which will drain you of any pieces of yourself that you once held on to. Family life generally takes the back seat to your Military family, and your life choices are directed for you. But..

In retrospect, the Military creates the stability of career and paycheque, not to mention the pride and respect for ones career.

I would like to make a few points I wish I had really looked into before I released at the end of my VIE (Variable Initial Engagement).

• Make 100% sure you are financially ready. I was 99% sure and now, a year later I am hurting. I have a mortgage, 2 kids, 2 cars - and the Ontario economy is not very accommodating IMO. I left with a great job in the IT sector but within 3 mos was cut back. Hence Job stability.
  • Really think about why you want out. I left because my wife demands to be first. Not good enough. After I left the wife realized I was unable to provide for her half of the things I could whilst 'in'. And now, I am working twice as much and making half the wage. This is where the respect comes in. I now have very little respect for my work as it is not a job one can be proud of.
  • Think about why you joined in the first place. Whether it was a challenge, or something new to try. I joined because every time I had seen the ads, or read the articles, I had that butterflies in the stomach feeling, and needed to follow my gut. Now, I am rejoining, and I have that feeling in my gut again. Point is, follow your heart, or I guess gut, with your facts straight.

I hope this makes some people really think about their decision to release. I know I regret the decision.

That's very good advice for all of those who may be in the same boat, or at least thinking about jumping into the same boat. Some people may think less than they should about the extraordinary benefits of job security/paycheck security when the influence of a "concrete" opportunity being offered in the civvy world may cloud their perception - only (in some cases, like yours for example) to find themselves regretting it later on.

Sigger said:

Nope. There's lot's of people going through this everyday, from the military. Some retire, some quit. Any advice from someone who's BTDT is always welcome and may stop someone from making a mistake. Or, at least, they can go into it eyes wide open.

Excellent post, Sigger!  Should prove useful to many.

recceguy said:
Nope. There's lot's of people going through this everyday, from the military. Some retire, some quit. Any advice from someone who's BTDT is always welcome and may stop someone from making a mistake. Or, at least, they can go into it eyes wide open.

Huh?  Did someone call me??  ;D

Good advice though.  Nothing worse than regretting something you've done.  I live life with no regret myself.  Ha ha.....I do tell myself I'm glad I've done some of the stupid things I've done - makes me who I am today.  Or at least a little more experienced.

Just be glad you are able to get back in (since it's obviously what you want).  I've come across good people (top third types) who left for bad reasons and life got far worse than it would have had they stayed in.

Bin

Back