• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Murders / MB Manhunt of Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky

The latest on costings ...
The final price tag attached to a manhunt in northern Manitoba last summer could be nearly $1.7 million, after the military announced the tally for its involvement was $123,000.

The cost for the Canadian Armed Forces covers the price of deploying personnel and two aircraft for the expansive search effort for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, as well as maintenance and support needs, the military said in an email this month.

The $122,958 bill does not account for any salaries, nor the cost of equipment the military already owns.

In addition to the military's bill, RCMP in B.C. spent $750,000 to investigate the three homicides for which the duo were wanted. Manitoba RCMP have not provided an exact figure for their costs, but have previously said they were "expected to be well under $800,000." ...
More @ link

I wonder if that includes funds they would normally be paying anyway, re: fuel for vehicles, salaries, etc.

I'm sure there will be some additional costs, yes.  But the members are going to be getting paid their salaries & vehicles require gas.  Kind of sounds like non-news news...

One of the articles I saw specifically said it did not include salaries.

Salaries: from the article: "The $122,958 bill does not account for any salaries, nor the cost of equipment the military already owns."

Fuel it's unclear: from the article: "The cost for the Canadian Armed Forces covers the price of deploying personnel and two aircraft ....  as well as maintenance and support needs, the military said..."

Something tells me it costs more than $122,958 to fuel up 2 x Hercules for a weeks work.

CBH99 said:
I wonder if that includes funds they would normally be paying anyway, re: fuel for vehicles, salaries, etc.

I'm sure there will be some additional costs, yes.  But the members are going to be getting paid their salaries & vehicles require gas.  Kind of sounds like non-news news...

For Provisions of Service, if it's for an OGD then the invoice is supposed to be done up for incremental costs.

Salaries would not be included (unless Class A PRes were utilized), costs of using equipment that is already owned would not be included, etc. Fuel, however, would be. I'm not sure why you are thinking the fuel for vehicles would not be an incremental cost of doing something. Edit to add: meals, incidentals, accommodations, etc. would all be incremental costs as well.

I don't know how much it costs to run Hercs so I can't guess the accuracy of the price. To say we are pretty poor at accurately cost capturing / financial reporting in the CAF would be the understatement of 2020. Also, the Provision of Service invoice isn't based off of actual data, it's based off of an estimate.... however if there was an ATI they probably tried to use DRMIS data which, like I said, is suspect at best.

ballz said:
For Provisions of Service, if it's for an OGD then the invoice is supposed to be done up for incremental costs.

Salaries would not be included (unless Class A PRes were utilized), costs of using equipment that is already owned would not be included, etc. Fuel, however, would be. I'm not sure why you are thinking the fuel for vehicles would not be an incremental cost of doing something.

I don't know how much it costs to run Hercs so I can't guess the accuracy of the price. To say we are pretty poor at accurately cost capturing / financial reporting in the CAF would be the understatement of 2020. Also, the Provision of Service invoice isn't based off of actual data, it's based off of an estimate.... however if there was an ATI they probably tried to use DRMIS data which, like I said, is suspect at best.
Jet fuel alone it uses 5,000 lbs per hour. It costs roughly $1 a lb.

kev994 said:
Jet fuel alone it uses 5,000 lbs per hour. It costs roughly $1 a lb.

Ack.. like I said, I have no idea about that stuff. Each level of financial authority also has the ability to write down the invoice. This is pure speculation, but for example, if the aircrews obtained certain required hours, a Commander might have the latitude within policy to write the bill down by quite a lot. And of course, the MND has the authority to write it down to whatever he wants.

I've seen a lot of PoS invoices written off down to $0 because the Comd was achieving COMREL... i.e. the Heroes Hockey Challenge stuff that the PPCLI foundation spearheads every year.

So who knows where they are pulling the $123k from... an Provisions of Service estimate, a PoS invoice that was written down, DRMIS actuals, etc... My guess with how fast this stuff spools up would be DRMIS actuals which were poorly captured and a lot of expenses did not hit the Internal Order.

Back