• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Two of the Supply class ships ? Those are a beautiful and useful ship... We should get a couple.
We did , we used what seems to become our standard negotiating tactic , ask for too much , offer to too little while insulting their mother's.
They would have made a great addition to our fleet.

Going to suck for the divers searching the wreckage for cars.
Would all be classified as overhead environment diving. Wreckage won’t look predictable either with the energy transfer involved with the ship and the structure. I suspect they ll paint a sonar map, string it with ROV’s- minimal time in the water. 50 feet is a nice depth though. I don’t know what the vis would be- my experience with ships and industry waterways it isn’t great lol 🤷‍♀️ similar to the rivers you worked I imagine

Would all be classified as overhead environment diving. Wreckage won’t look predictable either with the energy transfer involved with the ship and the structure. I suspect they ll paint a sonar map, string it with ROV’s- minimal time in the water. 50 feet is a nice depth though. I don’t know what the vis would be- my experience with ships and industry waterways it isn’t great lol 🤷‍♀️ similar to the rivers you worked I imagine
Not sure what the bridge pylons were engineered to sustain, but my rough math of the energy of MV Dali was approx 1.7 Gigajoules of kinetic energy. That’s a frack load of energy dissipated into the bridges pylon…it would be the physical equivalent of the entire full output of the Pickering Nuclear Powerplant (which powers 1.5 million houses at any instant) for 1/2 a second.

Not sure what the bridge pylons were engineered to sustain, but my rough math of the energy of MV Dali was approx 1.7 Gigajoules of kinetic energy. That’s a frack load of energy dissipated into the bridges pylon…it would be the physical equivalent of the entire full output of the Pickering Nuclear Powerplant (which powers 1.5 million houses at any instant) for 1/2 a second.

“Great Scott!”

You’re smarter than me. I just go”energy bad. Make great heat. Twist metal. Make bad for swim”

You’re smarter than me. I just go”energy bad. Make great heat. Twist metal. Make bad for swim”
…or another way of thinking of it is 1/2 ton of TNT

I’m not a bridgeologist. But I think you’re right and that it was never intended to win a game of bumper cars with a ship larger than any that existed when it was built.

So It sounds like they would have a very difficult time defending Fort McHenry right now.

I used to dive in the Fraser river for the CCG Hovercraft Unit. Diving in a river is no fun at all.....

Back