• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B.C. declares provincial state of emergency due to wildfires

G2G,

Care to expand on that at all?  Legitimate question - I don't know anything about the decisions made, or the reasoning behind them.

Given that massive fires are the new norm, and every summer we seemingly deploy troops to assist - would it not be wise to make this part of a "normal planning" during summer months?  I'm sure it probably already is somewhere, but air assets might be a big help?  Or not?  (I literally don't know...)

I don't detect that in Canada, we are much short of either helos or water bombers for aerial fire suppression.

I am not sure what the RCAF could realistically add, that would not the seriously detract from our ability to get into rough strips and get people out by the metric boatload. That is what we excel at. Not dropping retardant.

CBH99 said:
G2G,

Care to expand on that at all?  Legitimate question - I don't know anything about the decisions made, or the reasoning behind them.

Given that massive fires are the new norm, and every summer we seemingly deploy troops to assist - would it not be wise to make this part of a "normal planning" during summer months?  I'm sure it probably already is somewhere, but air assets might be a big help?  Or not?  (I literally don't know...)

The original Chinooks used to have 1200gal rigid buckets and the Hueys had 200gal bambi buckets, and in the 80s would assist aerial firefighting outside of DND property.  There were complaints from the industry, however, that the military was taking away revenue from the civilian operators...so then the water bucketing capability was restricted to DND property only, primarily on Army bases where 10 TAG helicopters were based, due to fires often resulting from use of the Guns.  Later in the 90s, responsibility for forest fire fighting, even on DND property came under respective provincial natural resources ministries and then, even fires inside military ranges, etc. were handled by provincial or contracted civilian aerial fire-fighting assets, both fixed-wing and helos.  Today, there is no firefighting capability in the RCAF, and probably won't ever be.  The tac hel fleet that used to fire fight now is smaller and focused on operations, such as those in Mali and Iraq.

Regards
G2G

Scott said:
Oh arson is a huge problem that is not talked about much unless it becomes prolific or high value. That's my experience talking. I used to work an area where we'd be putting one out, just taking a break and cleaning up, only to see a plume from the next one kick off. This would go on for days/weeks in the spring before green up.

One lovely chap smiled at us as he walked by, on his way, likely, to set another.

Seems like the tone I am seeing through CIFFC is IA crews on the move. This might mean no relief in sight and an attempt to hit the new starts hard so they don't become campaign fires, but that's just my gut.

Screw tickets.  Charged & remanded until trial if sufficient evidence exists to suggest someone is either a) causing arson in the form of fires during forest fire operations (especially these massive ones) - or b) massive fines if someone is seen throwing a lit cigarette or some other stupid thing during these types of situations.

The amount of money & manpower to fight these is HUGE.  Plenty of fires occur naturally, as nature intended & needs.  Fine, fair enough.  Nature will always manage nature far better than we can.

But if someone is intentionally starting fires, or is too stupid to not start a fire by being a bonehead?  No moral problem here arresting/charging them, or hitting them with a massive fine.

**If I was driving through BC and threw a lit cigarette out a window under these circumstances, I would rightfully hope someone would just kick my a$$.

Used to be an issue that people in certain communities up north would set fires in order to get jobs fighting it. Canada could set up a air squadron under PWGS using new build Cl-215 water bombers. An firm order on 10 bombers would likely kick start the production line and result in a lot of international sales, helping to offset the initial order.

And, of course, the fires are the second state of emergency declared in BC this year after the floods:

B.C. wildfires 2018: Premier says wildfires prompted unprecedented second state of emergency

An air quality alert remains in effect for much of the province because of the smoke from the wildfires.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-premier-john-horgan-to-tour-areas-affected-by-wildfires

CBH99 said:
Screw tickets.  Charged & remanded until trial if sufficient evidence exists to suggest someone is either a) causing arson in the form of fires during forest fire operations (especially these massive ones) - or b) massive fines if someone is seen throwing a lit cigarette or some other stupid thing during these types of situations.

The amount of money & manpower to fight these is HUGE.  Plenty of fires occur naturally, as nature intended & needs.  Fine, fair enough.  Nature will always manage nature far better than we can.

But if someone is intentionally starting fires, or is too stupid to not start a fire by being a bonehead?  No moral problem here arresting/charging them, or hitting them with a massive fine.

**If I was driving through BC and threw a lit cigarette out a window under these circumstances, I would rightfully hope someone would just kick my a$$.

Easy to detect, extraordinarily difficult to prove/make stick.

My hope has always been that communities begin to band together to encourage these folks that they have lost their way. No, not vigilante justice, just subtle hints that their behaviour is offside. My general belief is that someone always knows something.

G2G, funny, I thought that RCAF always had access to buckets. In fact, I was told just such a thing in the mid 00's. It made little sense to me at the time because, like bucketing does take some practice and isn't something you just do. Just like one of the civvy guys might love to land on the back of a heaving ship, but it isn't the wisest idea without some experience first.

Now, as I have said before, I wish the private sector was looked upon as a resource the same as a pump or hose kit were within CIFFC. Legitimize them, end the salesmanship that always accompanies them, and come up with a framework to pay them clear and openly across the board. Private sector isn't going to take a loss. Period. Accept that and find a way to ensure they don't and then it's up to them to decide if it's worth their while to split some resources away from potential blowouts and high revenue events in the oilfield. Risk/reward.

One down, dozens to go....

Suspect arrested in B.C. after fires intentionally lit

RCMP in Penticton, B.C. say a man is in custody after fires were intentionally lit on Sunday afternoon.

A witness who called police said he saw a man start a fire before running away near the Channel Parkway Trail and Eckhardt Ave.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2018/08/14/fires-suspect-arrested-bc/

It will be interesting to see if they keep the bush open for this coming Labour Day long weekend. A lot of active logging areas have already been closed:

Drought worsens as fires continue to burn throughout B.C.

This weekend's rain was not enough to extinguish fires or replenish streams and rivers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/drought-worsens-as-fires-continue-to-burn-throughout-b-c-1.4800686?cmp=news-digests-british-columbia

Humans responsible for more than 400 B.C. wild fires so far this season

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/humans-responsible-for-more-than-400-b-c-wildfires-so-far-this-season-1.4069178

Cheers
Larry

Meanwhile, in the USA:

Report: Poor Management of Forests, Not Global Warming, To Blame for Widespread Wildfires

“Global warming may contribute slightly, but the key factors are mismanaged forests, years of fire suppression, increased population, people living where they should not, invasive flammable species, and the fact that California has always had fire,” University of Washington climate scientist Cliff Mass told TheDCNF.

https://www.westernjournal.com/report-poor-management-forests-global-warming-blame-widespread-wildfires/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=PostSideSharingButtons&utm_content=2018-08-27&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

And ... there is still a lot of beetle-killed timber out there.  Years ago, people predicted a long run of years of more severe fire seasons than usual.  Did all that disappear from memories?

Brad Sallows said:
And ... there is still a lot of beetle-killed timber out there.  Years ago, people predicted a long run of years of more severe fire seasons than usual.  Did all that disappear from memories?

As soon as the first snow flew.

Same everywhere.

Back