• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AWS Full , questions betweeen AVS / AVN / ACS / AC Op

krimynal

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay so I am reading on here a lot between all of these trades ( yeah I know I need to figure out what I want to do ).

I am also looking at all the videos on Forces.ca  , I am also trying to set an appointment in Valcartier to go in person and speak with the people out there and see exactly what goes on in those jobs.

I just want to have some info from people that are currently doing those trades.

From what I understood :

AVS = everything that is electronics , could be Radar , Radio , Flight systems , etc.  You can eventually become FE if everything goes well.
AVN = everything around the motor / rotor / propulsion systems / landing gears.  You can eventually become FE if everything goes well
ACS = everything around the structure / metal / paint / interior ... Also around the seats / lifeboat / life vest / etc.  You cant become FE.
AC Op = you can either work in a tower ( which looks like a lot of fun ) or work in an office controlling air space ( which doesn't look as much fun ).

Is this right ?

I need to find a new career , got an Email yesterday from my broker saying that my request would only be looked at around September 2017 because they had 0 place for CT until then.

thanks

Avn and avs work along side each other while ACS are in their own little shops most of the time. There are some systems where avn and avs share the same quals...like a flight control computer is an avionics box, but it controls mechanical components that avns fix. You can't really go wrong with avn or avs, avns do get their hands dirtier though. ;)

to be totally honest , AWS was really my dream job , but I just cant wait 2 years.  So now I have to do something else.  I really wanted to go AVN , but I need Math 426 to do it.  I'm starting full time school on April 7Th, but I'm leaving on 21st to Wainwright for a drivers tasking.  Should be back around 23 of May.  Then theres summer training + summer jobs full time.

So unless I do my maths in exactly 14 days .... I can't really go AVN ( which was the job I was suppose to go back in 2006 when I first applied reg forces ).  They changed the requirements so now I don't have them anymore.

AVS looked like fun , but I did prefer AVN. 

ACS I have to say , I'm not 100% sure ... but I have everything I need to do the job , so I can apply ASAP ... is it my dream job ? no.... Do I see myself do that for 25 years .... I truly don't know.  Is there a chance that I might apply to change jobs in 4-5 years and switch to AVN ? Yes ...

So I'm kind of stuck honestly !

AVS is fun..however you have to get past POET first with Maths first in week one, before moving on to DC, AC et al. You can't afford to mess around on this course as it comes at you thick and fast. Once you graduate, it's off to Borden to do common core, followed by AVS training which is longer (9 months), before getting your first posting.

AC Op = you can either work in a tower ( which looks like a lot of fun ) or work in an office controlling air space ( which doesn't look as much fun ).

I wouldn't call them "offices" - they may have some office space in them, but our operations facilities are far from offices.

That being said, just because there aren't windows doesn't mean you can't have fun. I've done some of the coolest things in my career from inside a windowless operations room.

Yes...am sure folks in the abyss of the NDHQ basement, have better stories to tell of "cool things".  ;D

Guy Incognito said:
I wouldn't call them "offices" - they may have some office space in them, but our operations facilities are far from offices.

That being said, just because there aren't windows doesn't mean you can't have fun. I've done some of the coolest things in my career from inside a windowless operations room.

AC Ops have a super wide variety of jobs. You can work for NORAD and track/identify/scramble on aircraft as well as manage the data link system. You can go work at a fighter base and help with their missions, or deploy to the field to set up hasty air traffic control units. You can work in a tower and help with ground control and air traffic at the airport, or in the terminal (that's the windowless room, and help control traffic in about a 10 mile radius of the airport). There's even talk of calling down airstrikes for the really lucky.

AC Ops get the chance to serve in units mentioned, like this one.  This is where I wanted to go before my remuster.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/8-wing/8-air-com-and-control-squadron.page

And the RADAR Sqns.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/4-wing/42-squadron.page

Don't sluff off the AC Op trade.    :2c:

http://www.forces.ca/fr/job/operateuroperatricedecontroleaerospatial-13

You might also consider ATIS Tech.

Back