• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Xpdr66e

Reaction score
Scheduled to do the the medical and interview for the AVS tech position this week. I already had a PLAR Approved for my BCIT diploma and 1.5 years of being an avionics apprentice. Past basic training, I read I will need to do 8 weeks of common core at borden.
-Will I be allowed to stay outside of the base while doing this training?
-Also what is this training about?

Asking as I have 2 little ones and a wife that want to come reduce the time spent away from me. Thanks!

Staying off base for your 8 weeks of training is not likely. You will be in shacks, possibly 2 to 4 per room, although single rooms are not unheard of. You may of may not get time off on weekends to visit family, depending on how far away they are.
Keep in mind you will likely have a waiting period between BMQ and your trade course, so it won't be 8 weeks immediately after BMQ.

Keep in mind that staying off base in the Borden area is incredibly, if not impossible, on an Aviator salary.

Keep in mind that staying off base in the Borden area is incredibly, if not impossible, on an Aviator salary.
This! I know a married couple, both Sgts, who had to buy in the north side of Orillia (as far away from Borden as physically possible) in order to be able to afford anything. Rent closer to the base was $2400 a month and up for an apartment type space, and houses started at $3000. No LDA. This was before the new CFHD so maybe it is slighly more affordable?

Thanks !! That's what i needed to know. Might need to have a talk with the wife and reconsider this... I've been told to just focus on getting my AME license.

Would I still be staying in saint jean for the waiting period ? And how strict is it during this time in terms of going out?

Also any idea would I get the signing bonus if i join the reserves? Or is it only for regular forces?

Thanks !! That's what i needed to know. Might need to have a talk with the wife and reconsider this... I've been told to just focus on getting my AME license.

Would I still be staying in saint jean for the waiting period ? And how strict is it during this time in terms of going out?
No you would be going to your training base for the waiting period (also called PAT platoon btw). Strictness will depend on your staff/your group/ your collective behavior, etc. Between 0800 and 1600 you will be tasked, either something general duty or something relevant to your trade. There could also be driving courses. After work and on weekends, it shouldn't be an issue to go into town or out of town. There may be a limit for how far you can go without a leave pass or without signing a leave register. For example a leave pass could be required to go from Borden to Ottawa, but to go to Toronto from Borden you might just have to sign out in a book with your destination and expected return time.

No you would be going to your training base for the waiting period (also called PAT platoon btw). Strictness will depend on your staff/your group/ your collective behavior, etc. Between 0800 and 1600 you will be tasked, either something general duty or something relevant to your trade. There could also be driving courses. After work and on weekends, it shouldn't be an issue to go into town or out of town. There may be a limit for how far you can go without a leave pass or without signing a leave register. For example a leave pass could be required to go from Borden to Ottawa, but to go to Toronto from Borden you might just have to sign out in a book with your destination and expected return time.
Thank you for this info. The recruiters weren't able to give me any of this

Once I am fully trained past common core and I get posted to a place I don't intend to be in, i.e cold lake vs comox, can I be released? Or am I screwed at that point

Once I am fully trained past common core and I get posted to a place I don't intend to be in, i.e cold lake vs comox, can I be released? Or am I screwed at that point

Where do you want to be posted? There are positions for AVS nearly everywhere, you should be able to get the base or fleet you request.

Where do you want to be posted? There are positions for AVS nearly everywhere, you should be able to get the base or fleet you request.
As my kids grandparents are in Vancouver, comox is our only option. However the recruiters said I'd have to put down 3 bases and there isn't a guarantee I'd get the one I want.

As my kids grandparents are in Vancouver, comox is our only option. However the recruiters said I'd have to put down 3 bases and there isn't a guarantee I'd get the one I want.

Esquimalt (443 Sqn Victoria) is also an option.

443 Squadron is seeking Reserve AVS techs, any way to find out if they hire Regular force as well? Something I can ask my CFRC at my appointment
Individual squadrons don’t hire Reg F members directly. They may occasionally have RSS positions for Reg F but these are usually temporary and not guaranteed.

443 Squadron is seeking Reserve AVS techs, any way to find out if they hire Regular force as well? Something I can ask my CFRC at my appointment

There are vacancies all over the country for AVS positions at the Cpl level, including 443sqn and Comox. There are many variables on where you'll go after Borden.

I met an ex reserve AVN tech who said I should get my transport canada AME license first and I'd start out at the Cpl level, however a recruiter from my office said it doesn't matter. Any idea on this? I'll find the result of PLAR once I receive the offer?

Its basically the red seal for avionics and I'm 11 months away from getting it..

Back