• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATI

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever requested an ATI on emails regarding themselves if still in the service? Can I just pay my $5 and ask away?

Has anyone ever requested an ATI on emails regarding themselves if still in the service? Can I just pay my $5 and ask away?
Pretty much, yes.

The more specific you are in your request, the easier/faster it is.

Pretty much, yes.

The more specific you are in your request, the easier/faster it is.
Hmmmm….anyone ever experience blow back from the CoC about requesting info? Wondering how much they could redact? There’s no Op Sec or national sec at stake….just me.

Hmmmm….anyone ever experience blow back from the CoC about requesting info? Wondering how much they could redact? There’s no Op Sec or national sec at stake….just me.
The unit subject to the request is not allowed to know who the requestor is. That is the law.

When I receive ATI, I just provide the information requested and move on. No one should care about who made the request. If they do, they have too much time on their hand.

Why don’t you just ask your CoC/CO about the information you’re after?

You don’t have to pay $5 if it refers to yourself. There are two halves to ATIP; access to information, and privacy. Requesting records pertaining to yourself are the latter, and are free.

You don’t have to pay $5 if it refers to yourself. There are two halves to ATIP; access to information, and privacy. Requesting records pertaining to yourself are the latter, and are free.
Right, but sometimes (depending on the nature of the request/unit dynamics) to ATIP the info.

When I receive ATI, I just provide the information requested and move on. No one should care about who made the request. If they do, they have too much time on their hand.

Why don’t you just ask your CoC/CO about the information you’re after?

Normally I would, but I don’t want to get into the reasons why on here. If I make this request, it is going to raise some eyebrows, I’ll leave it at that…

Normally I would, but I don’t want to get into the reasons why on here. If I make this request, it is going to raise some eyebrows, I’ll leave it at that…
Requests are kept anonymous however the nature of the request could narrow things down….

As already noted, requests for information about yourself would be a Privacy Act request. Extracts from that act that apply follow.

Right of access
12 (1) Subject to this Act, every individual who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act has a right to and shall, on request, be given access to
(a) any personal information about the individual contained in a personal information bank; and
(b) any other personal information about the individual under the control of a government institution with respect to which the individual is able to provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable by the government institution.

Request for access under paragraph 12(1)(a)
13 (1) A request for access to personal information under paragraph 12(1)(a) shall be made in writing to the government institution that has control of the personal information bank that contains the information and shall identify the bank.

Request for access under 12(1)(b)
(2) A request for access to personal information under paragraph 12(1)(b) shall be made in writing to the government institution that has control of the information and shall provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable by the government institution.

Since you are seeking information that could be contained in emails (not in a "personal information bank" - i.e., a specific file that already identifies you), then your request likely falls under 12(1)(b). You would have to identify that you (yourself) wanted that specific information since a generic request under Access To Information for all emails from an organization (that may contain info about you) would redact any identifying information about individuals (including you). Your request would also need to provide sufficient information about the emails/documents/notes/etc in question; who, what, when, where, etc so that they can be found.

The request can be made on-line. On-line requests to DND/CAF are done through the TBS ATIP site.

Reactions: AKa
Back