• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Assembling an 82 ruck

BDTyre

Reaction score
I can't find any directions on how to assemble the 82 pattern ruck, spare how to attach an 82 ruck to a 64 frame.  I can figure out how to attach the ruck sack itself to the frame (as this is fairly obvious) but I'm lost when it comes to the straps and pad.  Anyone able to gve me a hand, or even a few pictures to help?

Thanks!

It turns out I may get together with one or two of the other new guys; apparently one knows how to put it together.

Or I could always ask my friend who is a MCpl.

BDTyre said:
Or I could always ask my friend who is a MCpl.

That should have been your first option. It should also be where you go for the rest of your problems til you get the hang of things. Your MCpl is your first link in the Chain of Command and the first person you approach when your unsure of something.

hey tyre it pte klaver have u look at the website tromp gave us. it's in their

Thanks Pte. Klaver!

I found it on the site and was able to figure it out.

recceguy: Unfortunately, my MCpl friend is not from my regiment...but, since he has 6 years experience on me, he can help with general stuff.

I've often noticed that the mistake that is most often made with the 82 Pat ruck is the positioning of the waist belt. 

First thing get rid of the issue belt and 'scrounge' a web belt.  Run it through the frame at the back as low as you can postion it.  Use tie raps or something similar to secure it in place.  The function of the waist belt is to give you some relief on the shoulder straps by shifting some of the weight on to your hips.  With a heavy load on a long pack I would use the waist belt shifting the weight on and off the shoulder straps.

BTW: I believe the waist belt/pack frame concept was first developed by Kelty in the sixties.  Before the 64 pat, i believe that the CF had a Bergans type pack, at least the Airborne (1Can Par) did, but I'm not certain of that.  Maybe someone out there knows.

Anyhow the waist belt concept 'revolutionized' back packs, Civ and Mil.

LF(CMO) said:
First thing get rid of the issue belt and 'scrounge' a web belt.  

Although I completely agree with you that it is far superior, this young lad is a recruit about to go to BMQ/SQ/Whatever. If he shows up with non-standardized kit, he may be in for a blast of shyte.

I would personally keep the issue waist strap on, and bring the web belt with me. You might risk putting it on in the field, maybe your Section Cdr will pretend to not see it, or better, he/she might appreciate your forethought  (or LF[CMO]'s forethought). Of course, you could be told to remove it, and then your left with the unenvialble task of reattaching your issue waist strap in field, with a MCpl tearing you a new one.

Have fun!

I plan on keeping everything standardized until I'm through with all my training.  Best to suffer through minor inconveniences and not get myself yelled at than be viewed as a trouble maker who can't follow directions,

Back