• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

As of One Minute Ago, I am Now Retired

Dam I though you were seriously asking about overtime.......... Yep 3 of the the big dumb ducks here. And the town is trying for a fourth. ;D 8)

Congrats on the retirement.... 1971 to present.... Wow. I'm wondering to myself (I realise it's none of my business whatsoever) how many days of Annual you may have banked from then to now as I remember hearing stories of guys who served in the 70's, 80's and 90's banking a pile of days that they got to cash out as a Senior NCO when they retired. 43 plus years.... Wow. Cheers TCBF  :subbies:

I cashed out with 189 days on the books and was advised by my civilian banker to transfer it directly to an RRSP due to the fact that  if I touched it in anyway, the Govt would immediately get its share based on my total years earnings. I did, they didn't get it immediately and got far less later when I turned the RRSP into a RRIF to make double mortgage payments. Suggest anyone with an expected payout of any amount check with a qualified financial advisor in advance.

Colin P said:
In 3 months your wife is going to tell you to go find something to do...

I would say that she started her list 3 months ago...

Ask her :p ....

reccecrewman said:
Congrats on the retirement.... 1971 to present.... Wow. I'm wondering to myself (I realise it's none of my business whatsoever) how many days of Annual you may have banked from then to now...

I burned off my leave as fast as I earned it. A few years I even took six weeks in the summer. I went fishing, hiking, canoeing, travelling and just chillin' at the lake. I had a grand total of five days to use up in my last week and spent one of them at the 3 CDTC Christmas Dinner.

Thats outstanding! Thank you for your service and good luck with your future endeavours!

Towards_the_gap said:
Did it go something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwXlIwozog#t=144

- Ha! No. More like something out of "Kelley's Heroes". Or maybe "Dune".

I thank all of you for your kind words and I wish you all the best.

Congrats Tom,

I wish I was able to make your DWD. It was a pleasure serving with you at the Regt, you were always a wealth of knowledge.

Pat

- Thank-you.

- I want you to know that I really enjoyed my time with 1 CMBG HQ and Signals Sqn in Kandahar and Edmonton (and Wainwright, and Winnipeg...). Great Sqn. Great people.

And we enjoyed the time you spent with us. It is a shame to see you go, but if anyone has earned it you have.

You taught on an AVCC course at the Squadron and even though I was only tasked as a driver I learned more in those couple weeks in Wx than on some full courses I have taken.

Congrats right off the bat! Status update in order....so a day short of 5 months since your retirement, how are things going?

TCBF said:
7 Jan 71 - 15 Dec 14.

- Ha! The job I was going to spend five months in laid me off after four months due to a downturn in the industry. A week later, I had another job and have been there for a month. Not shooting as many clay targets as I would like, but I am keeping busy!

I hope retirement is going okay. Was it mandatory retirement? Some guys don't transition well to civilian life after they get out. There's always the reserves that can help with that transition; it's part time, and you still stay plugged in. Some guys volunteer as an officer as a CC to train kids in The Cadet Corps. This is a paid position too. Best wishes for your retirement.

DTC-62 said:
I hope retirement is going okay. Was it mandatory retirement? Some guys don't transition well to civilian life after they get out. There's always the reserves that can help with that transition; it's part time, and you still stay plugged in. Some guys volunteer as an officer as a CC to train kids in The Cadet Corps. This is a paid position too. Best wishes for your retirement.

- Thank you. I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the darkest bowels of the Strathcona Regimental Association. Certain Persons spent fifteen years calling me a fucken Hussar, but... where are they when the Edmonton chapter needs them?

TCBF said:
- Thank you. I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the darkest bowels of the Strathcona Regimental Association. Certain Persons spent fifteen years calling me a fucken Hussar, but... where are they when the Edmonton chapter needs them?

;D

Once a Hussar; Always a Hussar.  >:D

Time to start dragging those other members, who have strong Regimental affiliations with the other Regiments along with you....Cough!....Cough!.....Rod Loach......Chris Seefried....cough!.....cough!      >:D

Time to start joining all those associations to keep in touch.  ;D

Back