• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arm strength training

A suggestion, a friend of mine a while back put up a bar in the door frame between his kitchen and living room (they arent expensive and can go in any frame). he had thise rule of thumb, that any time he passed through that door frame with empty hands, he had to do 5 chin ups. I believe he's bumped the number up around 10 now. I havent checked, but im sure you could pick 1 up at Canadian Tire for a fairly low price

armyboi69 haven't you read anything I said? Chin ups are not the same as a bicep freakin workout. Enough already, the two are not the same.

gryphon: This is just a rough program, but you could try this since you got nothing:

Pushups for your chest
Chinups for your back and as a secondary effect your biceps
Normal squats for your quads (just gotta do a good deal of them) or bunny hops
Reverse dips for your triceps
Stair calf raises for your.. well, calves (balance the ball of your feet at edge of stair and do calf raises as you normally would)
Boxer situps for your abs (boxer situps are done with your knees pressed together and held above you at a right angle from hips to knees to feet this way it targets all 8 ab muscles instead of the 6 that conventional situps hit)

That's all I can think of now but I think that would be very sufficient for a workout.

Aaron: your reading is right, I mean physiologically our muscles are made to work against gravity. Machines not only take this away a fair deal, but their pre-determined movement paths take away a persons natural range of motion which is a big thing. IMO, machines are only made for people who don't really want to work hard (a few exceptions to this obviously, for example using the cable bar for a tricep pressdown cause sometimes you need to use machines to hit certain spots) but generally machines = bad

shortbus: you know.. that is a really, really good idea. Once I've shed off the pounds I gained from my injury I just may do the same thing, and I definately will once I'm living in barracks. I'm sure that would build up your endurance pretty quickly!

Thanks everyone, it'll help me out alot..

the SHR is the Supplementary Holding Reserve... basically i'm in the reserves, but i'm not working right now... The army didn't give me a year leave with out pay (i'm in Hungary right now studying, and that makes it kinda difficult for me to go in every tuesday night), but i want to continue working when i get back.. so, the transferred me to the Supplementary Reserves.. fun eh?? still subject to all the military laws, but with none of the perks ;)

Back