• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Argentina Reasserts Claims To Falklands (again)

If you can find it, there's a great book called "Battle for the Falklands". It dispells many rumours and myths about how "easy" it was to uproot Argentinian forces from those Islands.
Argie C-130s were flying into Port Stanley unimpeded up until the day before the surrender.
Argentina is not the third rate force it was more than 25 years ago. They might exact a pretty horrendous toll if got at again.

Does anyone know what assets are currently deployed in the Falklands?

Ground Units including Air Defence?
Aircraft?
Ships/Submarines?

Matthew.  :salute:

JAMMER
           Not quite unimpeded,Lt.Cdr."Sharkey" Ward got one on 1 Jun. Fired 1 Sidewinder that
missed, his 2nd. hit and set the Herk. on fire, he then finished it off with his cannon.
                                          Regards

You are indeed correct sir.

Defence of the Falklandsfalls to:

Falkland Islands Defence Force whicj is equal to 1 X inf Coy.

1435 Flight RAF, currently equipped with 4 X Tornado F-3 soon to be converted to F-1 Typhoons
1312 Flight RAF, equipped with 1 X VC-10 and 1 X

hehehe oop,
....1 X C-130
78 Sqn RAF equipped with 2 X Sea King SAR helos

Royal Navy contributions are 1 X Frigate on a rotational basis a smallpatol ship comparable to Canada's MCDV and HMS Endurance (Ice Patrol Ship)

British Army contributions are:
1 X Inf Coy separate from the FIDF
1 X Engr SQN (EOD)
Royal Logistic and Royal Signals support less than Sqn Strength
Air defence is likely MANPADS since there are no Royal Artillery SAMs deployed

Irrespective of the UKs other military commitments across the world, one needs to remember that there are over 3000 citizens of the UK in the Falklands.  There is no chance at all that these people would be left in the hands of the Argentines.

There are are 13 other overseas territories that I am certain are looking long and hard at what is happening down south.

It would seem to me that based on Argentina's sudden and provacative about-face, I'd be exercising my "ounce of prevention" and reinforcing the Falklands rather quickly to act as a deterent just so they don't act on their most recent stupid idea.

Matthew. 

I'd start by adding a couple more infantry companies....for "training"....set-up a minimum of one Rapier battery, and I'd gently shift my naval assets south so that although not aggressive, the Argentinians clearly "see the flag" and know that you'd fight for the rock if they decided to attack.

On the other side of the coin, I think if you don't do something strong to counter their statement, they may take is as passivity and then they start guaging their odds of getting away with seizing the island without a serious fight (much like the math Hitler did with occupying the Rhein, then annexing Austria, then seizing the remainder of Czechoslovakia). 

Bottom Line:  I think it's essential to eliminate all doubt that there would be serious consequences to any hostile acts on their part, and in doing so actually reduce the likelihood of war.

the British army also have a regular infantry company on the islands - they are rotated through all the regiments and sometimes this role is carried out by Territorial Army companies. This is mainly an exercise opertunity with plenty of live firing and long range comms

The garrison is down from the brigade size force that used to be there. However,the island at least has some air defense as opposed to 1983 when the Argies just flew special forces into the airport unopposed.

I'm also pretty sure that the RN have a sub permanently on location but they are never listed on the strength of a garrison.

mainerjohnthomas said:
I was ashamed of both North American governments non action in that matter, even as I was more impressed with the UK and Canada reacting more properly in Afghanistan when an unconventional, rather than conventional, assault on the US took place. 

Really?  As a 12- or 13-year old, no less.  Sounds to me like you are just spouting off professor-written rhetoric.

Jammer said:
Argentina is not the third rate force it was more than 25 years ago. They might exact a pretty horrendous toll if got at again.

Exactly the point I was about to raise.  It really surprises me that so many comments in this thread quickly write off the Argentine capability with nary a thought.  Never mind the fact that even though the UK won the War, it was far from an easy victory. 

There are a few easy-to-see factors that differentiate the current military status today from that of '82:
  • Argentina is a democracy now, vice a military dictatorship as in '82 (this is actually a rather significant point -- and unlike what someone earlier said, Argentina is a democracy in every sense of the word, not a "democracy, sorta")
  • Argentina has an entirely, 100% volunteer military force now -- so conscripts wouldn't be sent to the Falklands to make cannon fodder for the Brits
  • Argentine military capability is completely different than in '82 -- in recent years Argentina has completely overhauled her armed services and they now present a rather impressive capability

So, should a new conflict arise in the Falklands, given the UK's current commitments elsewhere, a British victory is not automatic.

That being said, I am of the opinion that Argentina will settle for diplomatic (including economic) efforts to achieve her aims.  An armed conflict is certainly not desirable.

KwaiLo said:
...there are over 3000 citizens of the UK in the Falklands.  There is no chance at all that these people would be left in the hands of the Argentines.

I'm curious what exactly you mean by "left in the hands of the Argentines".  To me it sounds like you think the Dirty War is still alive and kicking.  Today's Argentina is nothing like the Argentina of that era.

I'm still of the opinion that Argentina spouted off to the world so as to get the UKs attention.

The UK, being distracted by Tony Blair's final term, the new guy doing a round of the domains, settling things in Ireland, Iraq & Afghanistan + the war on terror.... Argentina is prolly only saying:

Ahem.... what about us!

Casing said:
I'm curious what exactly you mean by "left in the hands of the Argentines".  To me it sounds like you think the Dirty War is still alive and kicking.  Today's Argentina is nothing like the Argentina of that era.

Doesn't much matter.  They don't want to be Argentines.  Punkt.

geo said:
I'm still of the opinion that Argentina spouted off to the world so as to get the UKs attention.

The UK, being distracted by Tony Blair's final term, the new guy doing a round of the domains, settling things in Ireland, Iraq & Afghanistan + the war on terror.... Argentina is prolly only saying:

Ahem.... what about us!

If you don't think they're serious, then why have they stated that no corporation that participates in oil exploration within the territorial waters of the Falklands will be allowed to do business in Argentina?

To me that sounds like a new policy direction as opposed to idle sabre rattling....

tomahawk6 said:
as opposed to 1983 when the Argies just flew special forces into the airport unopposed.

T6,

Don't you mean 1982? Unless there is some post-Falklands War incident on the books?  :eek:

BTW,

Here's another update on their renewed claim. To think they would have learned their lesson after losing the first time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/falklands_anniversary

Argentina reasserts Falklands claim By BILL CORMIER, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 56 minutes ago

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina on Monday marked the 25th anniversary of its failed attempt to regain the Falkland Islands, reasserting its claim to the South Atlantic archipelago

"Neither war nor the passage of time changes reality: The Malvinas are Argentine," said Vice President Daniel Scioli, using the islands' Argentine name, as 5,000 people, many of them veterans of the 1982 war with Britain, applauded.

"We call upon the United Kingdom to heed international calls and resume negotiations," Scioli said during the ceremony in Argentina's southernmost city of Ushuaia — 440 miles southwest of the islands.

Scioli said Argentina hopes to regain the islands though peaceful, diplomatic channels.

President Nestor Kirchner was originally designated the keynote speaker but canceled without explanation.

British Prime Minister        Tony Blair met veterans of the Falklands conflict aboard a warship Monday, while former premier Margaret Thatcher laid a wreath for the fallen at a private ceremony at St. Paul's Cathedral. The ceremony was one of many planned throughout the year to mark the conflict.

Blair awarded badges and certificates to former members of the Scots Guards and Royal Navy who served in the 10-week conflict with Argentina over Britain's South Atlantic colony.

"It's a day to reflect on just how much as a country we owe to our armed forces," Blair said after meeting the veterans aboard HMS Liverpool at a Scottish dockyard.

Many Argentines — especially supporters of Kirchner's center-left government — see Argentina's 1982 invasion of the islands as a mistake by the nation's now-discredited military dictators.

The 73-day war claimed 649 Argentine lives and 258 on the British side. Argentina surrendered on June 14, 1982.

But Argentines universally call the islands their own, insisting the British seized them by force in 1833.

Scioli said Argentina's soldiers acted valiantly despite the decisions taken by the "criminal dictatorship" that gave up power in 1983 — partly due to the blow to prestige it suffered in the war.

Scioli said the government's decision last week to scrap a 1995 accord with Britain on oil exploration in the South Atlantic was part of its insistence on first resolving the issue of sovereignty.

"Argentina is not against cooperation as long as such cooperation contributes to creating the appropriate conditions for resuming dialogue on the question at hand," he said. "By way of dialogue, we will recover what belongs to us."

Although Britain and Argentina restored ties in 1990, the status of the islands remains a source of tension and it has said the islands will remain British as long as residents there favor British sovereignty.

The British government said Sunday it regretted the deaths on both sides in the war and invited relatives of fallen Argentine soldiers to hold a private memorial service on the islands.

In January, Kirchner sent Foreign Minister Jorge Taiana to lobby U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to support new sovereignty talks. Taiana said Monday that Argentina would continue pressing "in all international forums for our rights."

::) So they'll press these international forums to each write a strong letter against Blair and White Hall?

Diplomacy works in strange manners at times.
The Islanders are free to choose thier own destiny as well. Let's not forget about the folks that actually live there. There is an understanding between the UK and Argentina that if the Islanders choose, by way way of referendum to secede (sp) from the UK to Argentina it will be accepted by the UK.
This was a major concession by the UK to Argentina AFTER the conflict.

Based on the treatement they received last time at the hands of the Argies, there's no way the Islanders would ever want to become part of Argentina. I'd say that the odds of another dust up are slim, but knowing the British Army as I do, there are likely a few plans being put in motion right now to get a battalion or two down there quickly if required. Nothing like a bit of Argie bashing for a change...

25 Years After War, Wealth Changes Falklands - New York Times
Some reasons why the Argies might be more interested these days:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/world/americas/01falklands.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

BBC NEWS  UK  UK 'regret' over Falklands dead
Tony Blair might regret the Argie dead, but none of the guys I know who were there have any regrets, that's for sure:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6515803.stm

Back