• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

All in all a impressive shakedown cruise and less problems than some people thought. I am really happy for the crew, hopefully they get to see some big marine mammals between Dutch Harbour and Esquimalt. Not to mention possible Chinese warships which might still be in the area.

Harry Dewolfe visited Prince Rupert, some nice drone pictures in a private group, will try to get permission to post. any idea if she is going to visit Vancouver?

#HMCSHarryDeWolf will be making stops throughout the weekend!
First it will stop in North Vancouver Burrard Dry-Dock Pier and will be tied alongside from 10:00 AM Friday 1 October until it departs early Sunday 3 October.
Second it will be transiting from North Vancouver to Ogden Point where it will come alongside on Sunday around 16:00 or 4:00PM!
⚓️

Due to the restrictions associated with COVID-19 tours will not be available for the public but if you wanted to catch a glimpse of the @RoyalCanNavy’s newest ship the info maps show you where and when it will be coming alongside. You'll be able to get close enough for pictures
📸

Photo submissions appreciated through the MARPAC Facebook messenger! Stanley Park could be a good vantage point.

What an awesome looking ship and she looks better now than when she left Halifax. You really get a sense of her size when your up close. had a good chat with a PO2 who has sailed on the CFP's and we talked a lot about crew accommodations. I feel sad that the crew is not getting much time to relax in Vancouver. Apparently they are getting some R&R and family time when they get to Esquimalt. He mentioned the Margert Brooke is scheduled to make the same trip, but then based in Esquimalt.
20211001_113123[1].jpg

Cool ship. Too bad we didn't make the decision to arm her harder.
Great Minds...

I was just about to say, too bad it's a Coast Guard vessel, as with some weapons out could have been a decent northern warship, I guess you could park a LAV on the rear area and double the firepower... :ROFLMAO:

I will say I think it is great that the RCN has a PC5 vessel that can operate in the Arctic year round (now it seems the RCN won't do that - but it could) - I am however disappointed it wasn't armed with some stand-off capability, several CIWS, and of course a much bigger gun

I will say I think it is great that the RCN has a PC5 vessel that can operate in the Arctic year round (now it seems the RCN won't do that - but it could) - I am however disappointed it wasn't armed with some stand-off capability, several CIWS, and of course a much bigger gun
Could probably still bolt on some AD capability...............but, that would take a massive re-think within the RCN. Pretty sure they are nowhere near that space.

#HMCSHarryDeWolf will be making stops throughout the weekend!
First it will stop in North Vancouver Burrard Dry-Dock Pier and will be tied alongside from 10:00 AM Friday 1 October until it departs early Sunday 3 October.
Second it will be transiting from North Vancouver to Ogden Point where it will come alongside on Sunday around 16:00 or 4:00PM!
⚓️

Due to the restrictions associated with COVID-19 tours will not be available for the public but if you wanted to catch a glimpse of the @RoyalCanNavy’s newest ship the info maps show you where and when it will be coming alongside. You'll be able to get close enough for pictures
📸

Photo submissions appreciated through the MARPAC Facebook messenger! Stanley Park could be a good vantage point.

I know a guy with a kayak who might try and struggle by for a look see.

Question: Do they have powerful fire hoses on board? Asking for a friend :)

Please no. The crew of ~60- could not and would not be able to handle that much crap stapled to the ship, not to mention a ship with a bunch of weapons and garbage sensors is the same usefulness in a fight as the current AOPS, it just is double the cost (and likely double the crew). It's a patrol boat. Want to fight a war, call a warship.

AOPS is a utility vehicle not a tank.

As I said before, your enemies get a vote and may not be nice enough to inform you of when hostilities commence. My preference has been a better self defence suite, using the same gun it has to cover the aft arc and either a 57mm or 76 if stability allows up forward. Improved combat suite to utilize the greater range and detect threats. Some counter measures equipment. Plus having the magazine capacity. I would have been happy if they had designed the vessel for this and just fitted the vessel with the 25mm for now. At least up arming it would be easy.
As our CFP's start to fail, you can bet these ships will be sent further than anticipated and various bad actors are growing their capabilities. If 60 people on a new ship that size with shore support can not maintain that level of equipment, then we are doing things very, very wrong.

Back