• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

That's 2 in the water, and a 3rd that now looks like a full ship. Nice!

Obviously it took some time for the program to build up some momentum, which is expected when we are heavily modifying an already existing design, contracting a shipyard, they contract their suppliers and hire workers, get them trained, and the final details are all worked out. But now that the AOPS program has some momentum behind it, it's good to see these ships rolling out at what seems (to the most uneducated person ever in regards to shipbuilding) a pretty decent pace :giggle:

The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified ... So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

In honour of the momentous occasion here's a nice article from Forbes that takes a balanced outside of the echo chamber look at the AOPS and Canada's approach to arming it.

Nice New Patrol Ship You’ve Got There, Canada—It’d Be A Shame If Somebody Sank It

Last edited:
The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified was unbelievable. So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

In honour of the momentous occasion here's a nice article from Forbes that takes a balanced outside of the echo chamber look at the AOPS and Canada's approach to arming it.

Nice New Patrol Ship You’ve Got There, Canada—It’d Be A Shame If Somebody Sank It
Oh oh oh! Don’t leave us hanging!

What kinda of issues kept popping up to get it certified??

Oh oh oh! Don’t leave us hanging!

What kinda of issues kept popping up to get it certified??
BAE needed a SME there to certify the weapon. The SME is based out of the head office. In the UK. COVID. I think you can follow the equation on this one.

There were other challenges of course, but I'm gonna let them breathe until they are no longer operationally or project relevant. 🍻

The pain they had to go through to get that thing certified ... So many issues (non-technical) that just kept jumping up in the way. BZ to the crew, ISI and the shore support staff for sorting it all out and getting it done on schedule!

Except the article missed that the Arctic is only one of the areas they will operate in.

Except the article missed that the Arctic is only one of the areas they will operate in.
Except that the Brits will be operating similarly armed Patrol Vessels on the High Seas.....

But there again the Brits will also be operating these on the High Seas..

1620757219305.png

It's good to have company

1620757304570.png

I wonder if Irving will bid? With GoC help? It would be an interesting idea if the gov subsidizes it. With an election coming. One more ship in the que before the start of CSC. But suspect we can't beat the Asian and European builders on price.

Last edited:
This is the challenge:
The RFI anticipates the ship will be 295-377 feet in length, with accommodations for 100 people, including 60 crew members, 30 scientific staff and a military helicopter flight crew of 10. The RFI cautions that the ship will traverse “one of the roughest seas in the world.” Waves in the region regularly exceed 33 feet and some are more than 66 feet high.

I suspect they can squeeze in the 100 people with a downgrade in accommodations, the heavy weather aspect, I can't say. But I believe the design stands a good chance and perhaps the CCG might relinquish one of the ships destined for it? Meaning Irving can provide a fairly concrete timeline and the ship will be limited in it's bespoke aspects. Plus apparently NZ was pleased with VSS handling of their frigate upgrade, so perhaps Canada will become NZ new best ship building/repair buddy?

I wonder if Irving will bid? With GoC help? It would be an interesting idea if the gov subsidizes it. With an election coming. One more ship in the que before the start of CSC. But suspect we can't beat the Asian and European builders on price.

I don't think AOPS meets the requirements. The sea's are too heavy, the number of crew are too high and the range is too long and AOPS is an icebreaker, not an ice-strengthened ship.

NZ is looking for a horse of a different colour. I'm sure NZ reached out the PMO AOPS for info as they were developing their requirements. Allies do that sort of thing all the time.

Today the first steel is cut on the 5th Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS), the future HMCS Frédérick Rolette, named for prominent Canadian naval hero Lieutenant Frédérick Rolette.

Sweet! The sooner these ships get out of the way, the sooner the CSCs can be built!

Part of me is envious, figuring out how to run a new ship would be fun and challenging

Canadian and Danish firms collaborate on containerised minehunting payloads

Modular payloads will include Kraken surveillance systems and SH container modules for offshore patrol vessels.

Canada-based Kraken Robotics is co-operating with Danish firm SH Defense (SHD) to design and sell containerised mine countermeasure (MCM) and other subsea surveillance payloads for the naval and commercial marine industries.

These modular payloads will include Kraken surveillance systems and SH container modules for offshore patrol vessels.

‘SH Defense will globally promote and sell containerised subsea surveillance solutions with a variety of Kraken’s surveillance solutions,’ Karl Kenny, Kraken president and CEO, said on 7 June.

He added: ‘In Canada, Kraken, supported by SHD, will promote, sell, deliver, install and service SHD hydraulic, electric and mechanical system modular containerised solutions to the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Coast Guard and commercial industry.’

These solutions could feature in the Harry DeWolf-class Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships for the RCN and Canadian Coast Guard.

The use of containerised modules for MCM would reduce the need for preventative maintenance while also meaning that ships can remain in service when equipment requires servicing.

‘New systems can be installed on vessels by fitting them to a module, instead of refitting the entire ship,’ Kraken added, and when a ship is removed from service, the modules can be reused by other vessels.

Back