• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Good lord that kingpost is in an awkward spot. I wonder how many people it took to drag it out there and set it up. Must be 500lbs at least.

BZ to the RAZ team, looks like quite the setup.

We were discussing that kingpost at work last week - looks like an awful lot of potential strain from a span-wire on a very few small looking bolts.

I'm glad it worked and that no-one got injured through a RUD.

NS

Given where that kingpost is - and that it seems to be a temporary setup on the flight deck of all the places on the ship! - something tells me that doing a RAS evolution will be a sort of "done by necessessity" function.

In other words, if an AOPS needs to fuel up, head to a port and do it there.

Given where that kingpost is - and that it seems to be a temporary setup on the flight deck of all the places on the ship! - something tells me that doing a RAS evolution will be a sort of "done by necessessity" function.

In other words, if an AOPS needs to fuel up, head to a port and do it there.
The ship is set up to do a light line transfer just aft of the bridge and any solid transfers will be done via VERTREP. It is very unlikely you'll see many RAS as the set up is to enable the ship to be fueled at the Arctic fueling deport which has a RAS type setup. Due to enviro regs we don\t RAS in the Arctic and Asterix can't go above 60 as a civilian ship. Because the ship will be doing many of the missions the Kingston Class has done fueling alongside will be the norm. 100474443_10163534827965641_1445176299474649088_n.jpg

Nice to see things going well, I am glad the CO got time in the ice with CCG.

Questions; in the picture showing HDW returning back to Halifax there appears to be a large amount of ice covering the bow deck gun. If that is the case, how would that ice be removed if the HDW was required to use that deck gun quickly? How much time would it take to remove the ice, how would you remove the ice and how long would the process be to 'certify' that the gun is in good order and able to be fired after the removal of the ice?

Another question, is it going to be standard policy to allow ice to be built up and remain on the deck gun during operational tours in the Arctic during the time periods when ice build up can occur?

They might have a heating element to warm up the gun prior to use
That must be some heating element that will be able to remove ice in -15-40c weather quick enough to make a difference between needing to have an active gun and being a lame duck.

Questions; in the picture showing HDW returning back to Halifax there appears to be a large amount of ice covering the bow deck gun. If that is the case, how would that ice be removed if the HDW was required to use that deck gun quickly? How much time would it take to remove the ice, how would you remove the ice and how long would the process be to 'certify' that the gun is in good order and able to be fired after the removal of the ice?

Another question, is it going to be standard policy to allow ice to be built up and remain on the deck gun during operational tours in the Arctic during the time periods when ice build up can occur?
All ships will accrue ice in the Arctic and off Halifax if the right conditions are met, for your awareness the ice on HDW's gun was accrued off Halifax and this is not a new thing for the RCN. You just need the right sea state, air temp mix and you'll have it. Just because it will be operating in the Arctic doesn't necessarily mean it will be in icing conditions much. I did nine deployments to the Arctic and only accrued ice once and that was easily removed. That being said the gun does have features to certain parts of it free from ice and there are other methods at our disposal to remove ice. Once ice is removed from the gun, I would imagine the WEng onboard would check it for obvious issues dependent on the amount of ice, for the ice you mentioned it wouldn't be. For deployments the SOP would to remove ice every time it accrues just like anywhere else.

That must be some heating element that will be able to remove ice in -15-40c weather quick enough to make a difference between needing to have an active gun and being a lame duck.
Again, it's a non-combatant. Unless the polar bears find RPGs probably pretty low risk of a sudden attack in the Arctic where the small gun will be instantly required. And like Stoker said, you don't usually let things build up to the point where it's a problem, and if you think you'll need it, you'll keep an eye on it and break it up as necessary.

Similarly doing mutliple concurrent evolutions is very labour intensive, so no way they have enough crew to do RAS and flight ops at the same time., nor any need to. I've done that on the frigate, and everyone not off watch was involved in some way with a 250 person crew. They have about 70; they are a single evolution at a time kind of vessel.

The only way it will not be a potentiel combatant is that you don't send it anywhere outside of coastal waters and you can't even be sure of the arctic with China and Russia having their own agenda. If you send outside of Canadian waters it is a potential combatant or a juicy target.

The only way it will not be a potentiel combatant is that you don't send it anywhere outside of coastal waters and you can't even be sure of the arctic with China and Russia having their own agenda. If you send outside of Canadian waters it is a potential combatant or a juicy target.
Yes lots of that going on eh?

If the CSC gets delayed any further, a number of the secondary missions the Halifax's will be cascaded down onto the AOP's to preserve the life of the Halifax's. There has already been at least two successful attacks on naval vessels by non-state actors and semi-autonomous suicide drones or loitering munitions will become a favorite weapon terrorist groups. The AOP's as currently equipped makes a fairly easy target.

If the CSC gets delayed any further, a number of the secondary missions the Halifax's will be cascaded down onto the AOP's to preserve the life of the Halifax's. There has already been at least two successful attacks on naval vessels by non-state actors and semi-autonomous suicide drones or loitering munitions will become a favorite weapon terrorist groups. The AOP's as currently equipped makes a fairly easy target.
I had a bet with a friend that your next reply would be concerning armed drones and non-state actors. Man you are predictable. You must also be a fortune teller with your prediction that AOPS will be sent into high threat areas.

I had a bet with a friend that your next reply would be concerning armed drones and non-state actors. Man you are predictable. You must also be a fortune teller with your prediction that AOPS will be sent into high threat areas.
OK, you won your bet. But I offer that his prediction has some substance, we will be in a state of uncertainty between the timings for the intro of the CSC's and the retirement of the Halifax frigates. Many of us saw how quickly the 280 went from excellence to obsolescence. The MCDV's initial intent was not to deploy to Africa. So, future work arounds will likely involve the AOPS. Unless the RCN does a major upgrade, he is correct. They will be a sitting duck in a threat area.

Yes I do bang on the drum, it's a threat I see and expect to grow. I really hope to be proven wrong and whole bunch of sailors don't die from such a threat. Yemen Houthi with the help of Iran have badly damaged a Incat and guarded oil installation hundreds of miles from their territory. The technology is getting smaller, cheaper and more capable and will flow to the less well equipped groups. Nailing a western naval vessel with one will be great propaganda for them.
Canada already sends the MG armed Kingstons to Africa, you can bet beer on the AOP's going there and further. As for avoiding threats, Canada already sent equipment into conflict zones when it said that they would not previously.

OK, you won your bet. But I offer that his prediction has some substance, we will be in a state of uncertainty between the timings for the intro of the CSC's and the retirement of the Halifax frigates. Many of us saw how quickly the 280 went from excellence to obsolescence. The MCDV's initial intent was not to deploy to Africa. So, future work arounds will likely involve the AOPS. Unless the RCN does a major upgrade, he is correct. They will be a sitting duck in a threat area.
Sure any lightly armed ship will be a "sitting duck" in a threat area unless they're well protected. I deployed to Africa twice in the Kingston Class and I can assure you we weren't in danger. There is always what ifs and yes HDW with its 25mm will be doing Caribs and Op Projections when fully operational. Based on my experience the RCN will not be sending these ships to the Gulf or anywhere like that. Of course I know you and Parkinson know better and if they don't get attacked you guys will probably say we got lucky...lets agree to disagree.

Back