• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic Emphasis

But then, they don't go anywhere without massive infrastructure support. We think of one or two staff officers as a commitment to a multinational operation and a company as a major deployment. They use the terminology "combat team" to describe what would be their basic doctrinal concept. Their combat team is our brigade. Still, you are correct. They don't handle cold very well. Things may have changed with global warming but I remember one exercise many years ago in Wainwright when some of the you'alls from Alaska were down. One inspired piece of kit was a stainless steel portable toilet seat. Good for strength and ease of cleaning but guess what happens when bare flesh meets steel at -40 (C or F doesn't matter).

If I could pick three things that don't go together very well in the arctic it would be: 1)Stainless steel 2) Toilet seat 3) Butt cheeks ;)

Fortunately for our training aims, being confined largely to the roads and larger settlements, they provided a reasonably good approximation of what it might be like to fight the Russians in the arctic.

But, yes, they came with all the toys and knew how to use them, so that was a good compliment to the 'Heroes of Telemark' approach ....

If I could pick three things that don't go together very well in the arctic it would be: 1)Stainless steel 2) Toilet seat 3) Butt cheeks ;)

Fortunately for our training aims, being confined largely to the roads and larger settlements, they provided a reasonably good approximation of what it might be like to fight the Russians in the arctic.

But, yes, they came with all the toys and knew how to use them, so that was a good compliment to the 'Heroes of Telemark' approach ....
I have shit in a bag in the Arctic in the relative comfort of an igloo. Amazing how comfortable -15C and no windchill can feel when your alternative is -35C with a 10km/h breeze...

But then, they don't go anywhere without massive infrastructure support. We think of one or two staff officers as a commitment to a multinational operation and a company as a major deployment. They use the terminology "combat team" to describe what would be their basic doctrinal concept. Their combat team is our brigade. Still, you are correct. They don't handle cold very well. Things may have changed with global warming but I remember one exercise many years ago in Wainwright when some of the you'alls from Alaska were down. One inspired piece of kit was a stainless steel portable toilet seat. Good for strength and ease of cleaning but guess what happens when bare flesh meets steel at -40 (C or F doesn't matter).
Just don't stick your tongue on it.

Back