• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

A nice video of Asterix conducting a RAS with Toronto.

https://youtu.be/VcalhkPw1s0

Nice, Jjt.

Two small comments:

(1) A GoPro camera on the probe: That's cool!

(2) The video, which has nothing but music, except a few words of credits at the end in writing (not spoken), feels the need to specify in the title that it is the English version of he video.  ;D Only in the CAF!

Good catch on the versions. Reminds me of "the Aquarium channel" on our satellite tv.  There is an English and French version.  Same music and fish for both too.  :nod:

jollyjacktar said:
Good catch on the versions. Reminds me of "the Aquarium channel" on our satellite tv.  There is an English and French version.  Same music and fish for both too.  :nod:

Can we assume the fish are bilingual?  A number of recent docu-drama productions on Canadian History have used bilingual actors so the same people can give the same dialogue in both languages.

Pusser said:
Can we assume the fish are bilingual?  A number of recent docu-drama productions on Canadian History have used bilingual actors so the same people can give the same dialogue in both languages.

They must be.  After all, they spend years in schools.  :D

Stats on the UK's newest support tanker.

https://sldinfo.com/2018/03/royal-navy-adds-new-support-tanker/

Royal Navy Adds New Support Tanker
03/30/2018
It is good to add new warships but the logistics support aspect is a foundational aspect of at sea operations.

And the Royal Navy is adding four new support tankers to the fleet.

According to a recent UK Ministry of Defence press released published March 27, 2018:

The third of four new support tankers to be delivered to the UK has arrived in Cornwall for customisation and trials before entering service with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and being deployed on operations with the Royal Navy.

The arrival of RFA Tidesurge comes just weeks after her sister ship, RFA Tidespring, met up at sea with aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth for the first time.

The 39,000-tonne tankers can carry up to 19,000 cubic metres of fuel and 1,400 cubic metres of fresh water in support of Royal Navy operations all over the world.

The detailed customisation work to prepare RFA Tidesurge and her sister ships for operations is being undertaken at the A&P shipyard in Falmouth, sustaining around 300 jobs.

Minister for Defence Procurement Guto Bebb said:

“The arrival of RFA Tidesurge in Cornwall marks another key milestone in the Tide Class programme. Tidesurge will soon join her sister ships in providing the integral support which powers our warships and helps our Royal Navy maintain a truly global presence.”

While in Falmouth RFA Tidesurge will be fitted with UK specific armour, self-defence weaponry and communications systems, with the total UK work content, including A&P, in the Tide Class programme worth around £150 million and sustaining further jobs at 27 UK-based companies.

The customisation work is expected to take around four months after which RFA Tidesurge will begin final sea trials before entering service in Autumn this year.

Meanwhile, RFA Tidespring, which was preparing to conduct a Replenishment at Sea (RAS) refuelling when it met with HMS Queen Elizabeth in February, is currently acting as the training tanker for the Navy’s Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) and will take part in exercise Joint Warrior in the Spring.

RFA Tidesurge has arrived in Cornwall
RFA Tiderace, which is currently docked at A&P Falmouth, is undergoing preparations for her capability trials which are expected to commence in early April.

Sir Simon Bollom, Chief of Materiel (Ships) at Defence Equipment and Support, the MOD’s procurement organisation, said:

“I’m proud to say that the delivery of the tanker programme will provide vital support for the Royal Navy, providing it with fuel and fresh water, while also being able to undertake a wide range of maritime operations, including humanitarian relief.”

The fourth of the Tide Class vessels – RFA Tideforce – is expected to be delivered later this year.

A&P Group has held the contract to support and maintain RFA ships at home and abroad since 2008. Under the Cluster Support Programme, A&P Group provides maintenance support to groups of MOD vessels, which include RFA Argus and the RFA Bay Class vessels Mounts Bay, Cardigan Bay and Lyme Bay.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
In Canada, we have only two possible Ensign: The Naval Ensign, i.e. the RCN's White ensign, or the Merchant ship ensign, which is the National flag. This is different than the UK or Australia, where the identification of vessels allows for three categories: Vessels of her Majesty's Armed Forces (white Ensign), other vessels of her Majesty's government, or vessels in her service, or vessels commanded by members of the Naval Reserves (Merchant ships commanded by a merchant marine officer also holding commission in the NR) fly the Blue, all other merchant ships fly the red ensign.

In the present case, Asterix, a vessel belonging to the merchant service, is obliged to fly the Canadian National flag as her ensign. The CFAV's blue is only flown as secondary indicator that it works as tasked by QHM.

Recent photos of Asterix departing Halifax for RIMPAC show her flying the "Blue Ensign" (CFAV Jack) as her actual ensign.

Privateer said:
Recent photos of Asterix departing Halifax for RIMPAC show her flying the "Blue Ensign" (CFAV Jack) as her actual ensign.

Is this (red circle) what you mean?

Attachments

• 2833150.jpg
    2833150.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 249
:tsktsk:  she's already losing some that new car curb appeal with tugs rubbing nasty black marks on her as well as that streak of rust from the obd.

Asterix is indeed an outstanding ship.

My humble opinion: RCN should purchase the Obelix, install in both ships Phalanx systems. Acquire at the same time MRNSV, creating in that sense a Flexible Logistics Ship group. An not build JSS (only 1 RAS).

Having said that in order not to impact contract with Seaspan, upgrade Polar Icebreaker from Polar class 2+ to Polar class 1 (with Nuclear tech perhaps). Using money unspent in 2 directions: restarting Defence Research Establishment Pacific (DREP) in BC focusing on Maritime Safety i.e. New technology for safe oil tankers in BC coast and in the near future either build or upgrade an LHD from US. Both supported by Seaspan.

In that sense specialize all Shipyards. Davie in Reconversion, Seaspan in Coast Guard and Irving in Warships.

or... we could do what the present government is doing, which is delay and do as little as possible as slow as possible.

...Future RCN:

12-15 CSC
5-6 AOPS
No more Kingston
8 Orcas (at least 4 upgraded with M2 on deck)
2 AOR (Asterix and Obelix armed with Phalanx)
1 Multi Role Naval Ship
4 Subs (2 Astute*** + 2 Victoria)
1 Possible LHD carrying on F35B's - Wasp style-

alexanderpeterson said:
Asterix is indeed an outstanding ship.

My humble opinion: RCN should purchase the Obelix, install in both ships Phalanx systems. Acquire at the same time MRNSV, creating in that sense a Flexible Logistics Ship group. An not build JSS (only 1 RAS).

Having said that in order not to impact contract with Seaspan, upgrade Polar Icebreaker from Polar class 2+ to Polar class 1 (with Nuclear tech perhaps). Using money unspent in 2 directions: restarting Defence Research Establishment Pacific (DREP) in BC focusing on Maritime Safety i.e. New technology for safe oil tankers in BC coast and in the near future either build or upgrade an LHD from US. Both supported by Seaspan.

In that sense specialize all Shipyards. Davie in Reconversion, Seaspan in Coast Guard and Irving in Warships.

I'm sorry but your expertise in this area is...what, precisely?

SeaKingTacco said:
I'm sorry but your expertise in this area is...what, precisely?

Excellent Question. I am a concerned citizen that wants to see CAD expended wisely...needless to say I am the grandson of a Veteran Officer -with a few tours overseas including Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) - and has spent countless hours talking about the issue with him. I thought that finally I could converse with people sharing my passion: ships, planes and strategy without asking me about my "credentials"...hence my humble opinion words.

alexanderpeterson,

Anyone posting here is responsible for their comments. Nobody knows you here, so it should be expected that members expect you to establish yourself.

If SeaKingTacco hadn't of asked now, someone would have at some point.

They may be your humble opinions, but backing them up with links to references and acknowledging your second hand knowledge where appropriate, is part of owning the comments you post.

alexanderpeterson, welcome to the forums.

While the Asterix is indeed a good vessel, she is crewed by civilians and military personnel.  This, as well as her not being milspec limits where she can go and what she can do.  While we need her and her sister, we also need our PRO and PRE back with the fleet too.

Back