• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anxiety/OCD/meds (merged)

10yfaith said:
Hey,

Back in '15 I was diagnosed with Anxiety. I was homeschooled for Grade 8, so going into Grade 9 was a big transition. Thus the anxiety. It really seems to have just been because of that switch, because 1 semester later, I'm completely fine. I am actually one of the most outgoing people you'll have ever met. I have ZERO anxiety. This just brings me to this one big problem. My medical records still say I have anxiety. My family, me, and everyone around me agree this really isn't the case and that it was just temporary, not chronic. What do I do? I've seen people get instantly denied for checking off "Anxiety" on the medical. If I really just technically don't have it, do I still have to check it off just due to my medical RECORDS saying I was diagnosed with it? Joining the CAF has been my dream since I was 10. I'm 16 now. If some stupid 4 months of my life are going to ruin my chances, then whatttt the hell.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Anxiety/OCD/meds (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13409.25
9 pages.

See also,

Medical story - Anxiety 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/81604.0

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Relax, else you regenerate the reason for asking this question.

What people have you seen "get instantly denied for checking off "Anxiety" on the medical"? Have you seen their applications? Have you seen their medical results?

Answer all questions, written or oral, during the recruiting process (and for the rest of your career, and life, as well) openly and honestly. Explain your answers if necessary.

There are very few perfect people in the CF. Nobody expects you to attain that standard, just the standards required and so stated.

Loachman said:
Relax, else you regenerate the reason for asking this question.

What people have you seen "get instantly denied for checking off "Anxiety" on the medical"? Have you seen their applications? Have you seen their medical results?

Answer all questions, written or oral, during the recruiting process (and for the rest of your career, and life, as well) openly and honestly. Explain your answers if necessary.

There are very few perfect people in the CF. Nobody expects you to attain that standard, just the standards required and so stated.

I had seen a news story about how a 17 year old did everything else fine, but was denied due to his Anxiety disorder. I just am worried that I won't be able to explain to them that my anxiety was a temporary thing just because of that sudden change, and not a chronic thing. I really don't want a small time in my life to cause me permanent problems like restraining me from joining CAF. Do you do the medical forms WITH medical personnel? Will I be able to talk to them and have a chance to explain everything? I know I could appeal the decision if I'm denied, but could I be able to convince them otherwise before it would come to that? I have no problem with getting my doctor to sign forms saying I'm fit for duty, or having one of their psychiatrists evaluate me, etc. because I am completely confident I don't have anxiety anymore.

Have you heard of someone ever being able to re-evaluate a previous diagnosis and have it removed from their medical records?

10yfaith said:
I had seen a news story about how a 17 year old did everything else fine, but was denied due to his Anxiety disorder.

If he was denied enrollment, there was good reason to have enrollment denied, barring some (rare but possible) error. Not everybody who takes a grievance to the media has a valid basis for doing so. There are threads on this Site regarding CF or former CF members who have taken grievances to the court of public opinion via the media, but have been less than completely honest when stating their cases. And that was one person, out of several thousand annually who make it through. His case, valid or not, was an exception.

Have you read this thread, and the one at the other link that mariomike provided?

You are not the first person to apply with some minor past problem or a misdiagnosis, yet make it through the recruiting stage and go on to have productive and rewarding careers.

Nobody in the recruiting chain benefits from keeping people out - no rewards or awards are given for doing that. The vast majority of people in the CF as a whole, and in particular the recruiting organization and your potential instructors, want you and those like you to get in and succeed. The system is geared to do that, as long as you meet the required standards.

You can expect to be assessed fairly against standards. I see no reason, based solely upon what you have said here, to reject your application. I am not, however, involved in your application, nor is anybody else here, nor do any of us have a functioning crystal ball, so that is not particularly valuable.

Relax. Don't other-think everything. Let the process work, and see how it turns out. Be open and honest at all stages.

Hey everyone.
I'm really interested in joining infantry reserves.
I've done the physical and I finished the CFAT. Just medical and interview left.

However, I was stupid and took an anxiety medication for one month(it was a really low dose). My work closed down and I was worried about money and I ended up getting behind in class. I really didn't need to be on it. So I stopped taking it after a month. I feel completely fine. Is this going to ruin my chances of joining?

Only the medical recruiter can tell you that for sure, or the RMO.
Doctors are not in the habit of prescribing things you don't need. So if you were prescribed it (assuming you WERE prescribed the medication and it's not something you got from a "friend" on the corner) then you likely needed it.
Declare it at your medical. They will likely make you get a form signed by your doctor to say you don't need it to function.
If you don't declare it, and it is discovered later, there could be serious consequences, including getting released.

Good day all!

My own little concerns here,

Diagnosed with anxiety in 2015 due to transitioning between homeschool and public (still waiting till mid 2019 to apply as I'm waiting on my 15 credits), was on medication but no longer require it. No symptoms for quite a while. (over a year, will be over 3 years by medical screening). Doctor, family, references, friends & me all agree I am in a great state, much more outgoing than others and confident in myself. Current Army Cadet.

I had looked into a few different things as I was stuck on the internet convincing myself I had things like ADHD & depression, etc. None of these were diagnosed and either were dismissed (depression) or remained in the air and have since just become irrelevant.

Anyways, so I guess just adding to my past anxiety, I did once, being young and weird, self-harm (it was actually a small stab rather than cuts) but NOT out of depression or negativity. I just wanted to have a "cool battle scar" to show off to people.

I don't have plans of lying as I know how that goes. Just wondering, what do you guys think about how they'll react and how good my chances are? The self infliction isn't even on my medical record because it literally was just me being bored and curious, my family doesn't even know about it. My GP and I have in the past talked about the CF and joining, and she said she'd be more than happy to write a letter of recommendation or state I am fit to perform the duties expected upon me.

Thanks. Any input is appreciated.

carcoon12 said:
Good day all!

My own little concerns here,

Diagnosed with anxiety in 2015 due to transitioning between homeschool and public (still waiting till mid 2019 to apply as I'm waiting on my 15 credits), was on medication but no longer require it. No symptoms for quite a while. (over a year, will be over 3 years by medical screening). Doctor, family, references, friends & me all agree I am in a great state, much more outgoing than others and confident in myself. Current Army Cadet.

I had looked into a few different things as I was stuck on the internet convincing myself I had things like ADHD & depression, etc. None of these were diagnosed and either were dismissed (depression) or remained in the air and have since just become irrelevant.

Anyways, so I guess just adding to my past anxiety, I did once, being young and weird, self-harm (it was actually a small stab rather than cuts) but NOT out of depression or negativity. I just wanted to have a "cool battle scar" to show off to people.

I don't have plans of lying as I know how that goes. Just wondering, what do you guys think about how they'll react and how good my chances are? The self infliction isn't even on my medical record because it literally was just me being bored and curious, my family doesn't even know about it. My GP and I have in the past talked about the CF and joining, and she said she'd be more than happy to write a letter of recommendation or state I am fit to perform the duties expected upon me.

Thanks. Any input is appreciated.

Literally the post above yours...

"Only the medical recruiter can tell you that for sure, or the RMO.
Doctors are not in the habit of prescribing things you don't need. So if you were prescribed it (assuming you WERE prescribed the medication and it's not something you got from a "friend" on the corner) then you likely needed it.
Declare it at your medical. They will likely make you get a form signed by your doctor to say you don't need it to function.
If you don't declare it, and it is discovered later, there could be serious consequences, including getting released."

carcoon12 said:
I did once, being young and weird, self-harm (it was actually a small stab rather than cuts) but NOT out of depression or negativity. 

You may find this discussion of interest ( in case you have not read it already ),

Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/
https://army.ca/forums/threads/69787.25
3 pages.

As always, Recruiting ( medical ) is your most trusted source of up to date official information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Hello all,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question. I am currently in the application process for the Financial Service Administrator position in the CAF. I have passed the CFAT with a high score and I am confident I have all the knowledge, skills, and experiences to allow me to excel in this position. I have a Bachelor of Commerce and have a couple years experience in HR and admin. I am also fit and I exercise 4-5 times a week without fail.

Having said all that, I was diagnosed with social anxiety and was prescribed sertraline (zoloft), an SSRI, which helped. I am confident with everything but this is the aspect that scares me.
Will I fail the medical?

Concerned especially after reading this article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/armed-forces-applicant-cites-discrimination-over-anxiety-diagnosis-1.2949644

armyhopeful123 said:
I was diagnosed with social anxiety and was prescribed sertraline (zoloft), an SSRI, which helped.

See also,

Zoloft
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=fAFqWqySDOmpjwTjyYeQBg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+zoloft&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+zoloft&gs_l=psy-ab.3...56869.59526.0.60559.5.5.0.0.0.0.121.377.4j1.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.XBy-tUG4wp4

SSRI
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=uQFqWtmGN4WCjwTQyoGgBw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ssri&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+ssri&gs_l=psy-ab.3...14382.17356.0.17974.10.10.0.0.0.0.80.677.10.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.wvX7sPgWkcA

As always, Recruiting ( medical ) is your most trusted source of up to date official information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

armyhopeful123 said:
Will I fail the medical?

Absolutely no one here can answer that for you. Please read through relevant threads, take from them what you can, go through the process honestly and see how it plays out. That's all you can do.

Medical related questions cannot/will not be addressed with absolute certainty one way or the other.

Yeah, of course,

At the time of diagnosis I did need it. I was actually the one pushing for a prescription, thought it'd be an "easy way out" since I was young. Over time I just lost the anxiety and stopped taking the meds, notified the doctor, and I was taken off. No problems since.

Hi everyone. New applicant here. Has anyone here ever had an issue with declaring ‘anxiety’ on their medical but does NOT or NEVER has taken medication? I’m worried this is going to cause some issues with my application. I know others who have taken medication and have still got in after doctor’s notes and such. But I just would like to hear anyone else’s experience with having never taken medication. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I know there are a lot of posts about anxiet WITH medication. I have had anxiety in the past but DO NOT AND HAVE NOT taken medication. Is this likely to affect my medical when trying to get in? I know others have got in even after medication but I want to hear from those who stated they’ve had anxiety in the past but did not take medication. Thank you.

Shane1987 said:
Hi everyone. I know there are a lot of posts about anxiet WITH medication. I have had anxiety in the past but DO NOT AND HAVE NOT taken medication. Is this likely to affect my medical when trying to get in? I know others have got in even after medication but I want to hear from those who stated they’ve had anxiety in the past but did not take medication. Thank you.

If you’re not on medication for it, it’s not that severe, meaning so far you’ve been able to manage it on your own. You’ve never had a formal diagnosis right? There are many, many proven, self-help coping mechanisms for anxiety out there (breathing techniques, regular exercise, meditating, CBT, etc etc.) I’m assuming you’ve already found a mechanism that works for you, hence, no meds. If it’s a non-issue, then it’s a non-issue—it doesn’t affect your day-to-day life, most of us have suffered from anxiety during at least one point in our lives.

I don’t know what weight will, or will not, get placed on the CAF’s decision to enroll you if you state you’ve suffered from anxiety, either now or in the past, with or without meds. I personally know people who have gotten in who’ve struggled with some degree of mental health issue, meds or not and I know people who haven’t. There’s a ton that goes into the successful enrolment of an individual and the overall assessment of their medical beyond just a single issue. You want someone to tell you definitively whether disclosing it or not will, or won’t, affect your chances. Well, no one here can tell you that. It’s up to you to decide when you go in whether or not to be as transparent as you ethically feel you should be and see how it all plays out.

I’d suffered from anxiety before I enrolled during various stages. I’d never needed any meds for it. I disclosed this fact during my medical. I wasn’t ashamed, or felt any reason to hide it. I got in. And you know what? I’ll tell you  (and others here will too), military life comes with very unique (and the chance of many other very unique) stressors, which can rarely be attributed to most other careers. I encountered a set of circumstances that threw my anxiety into severe hyper-drive. I ended up on meds for a while. They worked, I’m glad, but I never, ever thought I’d need them. I saw the signs that my anxiety was getting worse, and I tried to stave off the effects, but it got to the point where I couldn’t manage it anymore and had to seek help.

Now—everyone comes with their own level of resilience, either naturally or learned. Personality, environment et. al all play a factor into how we handle things. What affects one person will not affect another in the same manner, nor to the same degree. So, sincerely ask yourself whether you think this is a job for you. I’m in no way saying you shouldn’t go for it. However, what I DO want you to do is read and research and reflect honestly on whether you feel the military could exacerbate an existing issue, even if you feel it hasn’t bothered you in quite some time. Because I assure you, there’s a lot of stress-inducing circumstances you may find yourself in even if you never get deployed or are involved in combat. (Those situations are a category all of their own.)

Quick question,
I'm 19, work out regularly I'm currently healthy with no mental issues as of now. In the past I've had anxiety which I was prescribed medication for, but I've been medically clear from it. I've finished everything but I'm wondering if I'm likely to get declined because of my past.

Maverick40 said:
Quick question,
I'm 19, work out regularly I'm currently healthy with no mental issues as of now. In the past I've had anxiety which I was prescribed medication for, but I've been medically clear from it. I've finished everything but I'm wondering if I'm likely to get declined because of my past.

Noone can tell you yes or no, everyone is different..apply and see what they say during the medical..disclose everything.

Hi guys,

I have applied to join the navy as a Naval Communicator last month and my application has been declined this week because I have been diagnosed with anxiety that occurred 6 months ago.

During the recruiting process, I told the army that I have used drugs to treat my anxiety in the past for a couple of months and they gave me a medical form to be filled by a doctor so they can have a recent status of my mental health.

Instead of seeing a random doctor in Victoria so I can have a recent diagnose of my mental health(I moved from Quebec to Victoria in the last month), I asked my family doctor in Quebec to fill the medical form but he could only answer what he had on me during the time I was in Quebec ( 6 month ago) and this was the reason why my application was declined...

So I talked again to the medical staff and they gave me a new medical form to be fill by a doctor to diagnose my mental health. So I went right away to see a doctor in Victoria and he specifically answered on the form that my mental health is doing well and there is a low chance to reoccur.

This is frustrating and such a bad mistake by me because I just got rid of unhealthy lifestyle and my mental health is going strong again.

Do you think that my anxiety in the past could still affect my application even if the new diagnose tells that I'm doing fine ?  It is been 2 days since I gave the new medical form to the medical staff. Thank you !

Slemcky15,

Just a guys opinion.

The military is a horrible place if you have anxeity. Basic training and your trade course isn't a place you want to try and claw and bite your way through if you have or are prone to it.

Did you just find a doctor in Victoria to fill out a form and say you're good?

Back