• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anti-personnel RPG

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
From strategypage.

Bouncing Death From China

August 20, 2008: Chinese made Airburst anti-personnel RPG rockets have been discovered in Afghanistan, after first being encountered in Iraq, where they were used by Iranian supported Shia rebels. The Chinese made RPG rocket is optimized for anti-personnel effect. To accomplish that, the shell bounces up about six feet, after first hitting the ground. Then the 5.7 pound warhead explodes, releasing hundreds of metal fragments. Casualties can be caused nearly fifty feet away. Because the warhead explodes in the air, and is full of metal fragments, it is more than three times as likely to kill or injure than the usual RPG warhead (which is designed to penetrate armor). The "Airburst Anti-Personnel" rocket also has a longer range (over 1,500 meters, more than twice that for the anti-armor rocket).

Iran buys these rockets from China, or maybe even makes its own copies. Iran denies supplying weapons to the Taliban or al Qaeda (which are violently opposed to the Shia brand of Islam practiced throughout Iran and southern Iraq.) But in the past, Iran has aided al Qaeda, and Iranian gunrunners will sell weapons to anyone who can pay.

FWIW, it's China we should be looking to for explanations.  Their products being sold on the world market - with shady "End User Certificates".  Pressure China so they can pressure the fellas who paid the invoice... IMHO

Whups... that would be in a perfect world - right ?

I doubt very much that many of China's 'legitimate' customers (UN recognized nation states) will follow such protocols as recommend by the UN's Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms, or other such non-proliferation proposals.  We'll likely have cash starved nation states buying such products as the anti-personnel RPG, and selling them at a cash profit to international arms dealers, whose clients include Taliban, Al Qaeda and other enemy forces.

On the other side of things, maybe we should be looking at the airbust RPG as a contender for the CASW.  ;D

Matt_Fisher said:
On the other side of things, maybe we should be looking at the airbust RPG as a contender for the CASW.   ;D
I can just see the MsM handing us our heads in a basket if we even used one

geo said:
I can just see the MsM handing us our heads in a basket if we even used one

In theory, the airbust isn't any different than what the CASW is using to achieve its terminal effects, albeit at a much higher cost and weight of overall system, although its' (CASW) accuracy is likely leagues above an anti-personnel RPG round.

The Type 69 Airburst Anti Personnel projectile has been around (in Afghanistan) for a while now, but so far only in small numbers. From the stories I have read on the internet, the most recent find was about 85 rockets in Khost Province near the border of Pakistan. I would like to examine one of these to see if the actual manufacturer could be determined. Are these really Chinese?

The Chinese Type 69 Airburst AP has a muzzle velocity around 102m/s, 800 steel balls with a lethal radius of 15m and a maximum range of 1700m (stats vary depending on source quoted).

The Pakistan manufactured version has a muzzle velocity around 95m/s, 850 steel balls with a lethal radius of 15m and a maximum range of 1500m (stats vary).

I am sure that other nations will start producing variants of this round if they have not already done so.

Our answer to this may be the 84mm HE 441D, which has an airburst capability, 800 steel fragments, and an effective range of 1250m, the lethal radius is not quoted. This projectile uses a time fuze to determine the point of detonation. The fuze is graduated in meters, so the firer has to estimate range rather than time of flight. (hope my link works).

http://products.saabgroup.com/PDBWebNew/GetFile.aspx?PathType=ProductFiles&FileType=Files&Id=6540

There is also a M72 variant, the M72E10 that is in development. It has a Blast/Frag Anti-Personnel warhead, but does not have the airburst capability. The warhead has a point detonating fuze system and is utilized in the same method as the HEAT warheads, but is designed to disperse fragmentation rather than penetrate the target. Perhaps only a matter of time until the M-72 has an airburst capability, although warhead calibre limits the effectiveness of such a warhead.

Its the Chinese FAE RPG's we found in Afghan that I was much more worried about...

Personally speaking I'd say at least 1/3 of the RPGs fired at my Platoon during TF 3-06 were of the Chinese bounding type,luckily most were fired at our vehicles for some reason. It is quite common to see both ANA and ANP to be carrying/using the AP type warheads,far from rare they are quite common in Kandahar Province.

Back