• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Independent People - Presbyterians

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I haven't seen these shows before.  I have been well impressed.

It tells the tale from an Irish perspective but it is a tale that resonates through Canadian history.  Ireland's first revolutionaries, first republicans, were Presbyterians.  Just as they were a strong, if not dominant force, in the American Revolution.

It goes some ways to explaining why a Canadian Orangeman could envisage uniting Catholics and Presbyterians, and other non-conformist dissenters against Bishop Strachan's Anglicans.  It also gives some insight into the forces in play influencing William Lyon MacKenzie and George Brown and the Upper and Lower Canada rebellions.  It also has a direct influence on the settling of my Canadian hometown of Peterborough and the surrounding townships of Monaghan and Douro by Irish settlers of Peter Robinson.

You can't understand Canadian history without understanding this history.

'An Independent People - Ulster's Presbyterians'

https://vimeo.com/61122165  Part 1

https://vimeo.com/60439132  Part 2

You also need to understand that at the time of the Canadian Rebellions English Episcopalians, in fear of these radical sympathies that were resulting in rebellions across Europe, were making the Anglican church more Catholic and many were converting to Catholicism and allying themselves with the Catholic aristocrats on the Continent.  This contributed to the Catholic Emancipation laws.

I stood on John Knox’s grave in Edinburgh, by accident, in Edinburgh last summer. It’s just off of the Royal Mile. In a parking lot.

You can literally park your car on top of the founder of the perilous dissenters.

I’m sure he’d be tickled pink with the stark, ascetic practicality of that. 

No doubt you're right. 

He signed his letters "John Knox, with his one foot in the grave."

Back